Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The amount of people that took advantage of the drop is really something else. People learned a lot from the last recession. You can see it even in this thread. The last recession everyone was fearful and quiet. Now everyone's just like, "dip?" "Ok, i'll buy it"
I think that is because the current recession/market volatility has not yet had long term consequences on the stock market.

My analogy of a long-term consequence actually played out in less than a week on IDEX. Monday morning was hella bullish. In retrospect though, by midday, IDEX had put in the high for the week and likely the month/year. On the whole, any new purchases or averaging down just lost more money. And then there was Friday... when the other shoe fell and many people became traders-turned-bag-holders overnight. Multiply that across the majority of the markets for months/years and that is what a normal recession feels like.

Personally, I think the current climate is setting people up for failure or at least the harsh realization that averaging down usually takes months if not years to be beneficial in a true recession. It can feel pointless to the point that you lose faith. That is a normal recession. What concerns me is that we had literally the fastest recovery in the +200 years of the US stock market and people are using that as an archetype for a trading strategy... as if now, the economy and stock market will recover from any dips in a month or less.

There is a reason why there are so many old billionaire investors being trudged in front of a mic to decry day trading. The first reason is because in the short term, the day-trading approaches are vastly outperforming their approach and the typical investor strategy isn't nimble enough for the current climate.

The second reason though is because this isn't their first rodeo. There is a popular trading aphorism that wraps it up better than I:
There are old traders and there are bold traders. There are no old, bold traders

Last edited:

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
EDIT: i don't like Pfizer's chart. stuck in the same range for years and huge market cap

Pfizer ($PFE) September 18 $40 Call options are cheap ($0.16). Gonna get a few hundred worth of contracts, could 3x-30x on Pfizer vaccine news. Very low IV too (30%)

Y76IzeM.png

EDIT: Looks like AstroZeneca ($AZN) is ahead of Pfizer on a vaccine. Still gonna get $100 or so worth of those Pfizer calls just in case

Last edited:

BushidoBrown

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I got in at 168
:wow:

FB is literally sitting on billions. They own FB, Instagram and Whatsapp.. if you think they are "done" you are playing yourself. :manny:

I'd also like to add that I don't have FB in my M1 because I agree with Zuckerberg on anything. I have them because they will make me money. That's the purpose of investing.
no ESG Investing for you, bruv? :troll:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What stocks do you think might benefit most from Biden being elected ?
Great time to be thinking about that looking at the current polls. I'm going to do some research but I started looking at Biden's platform and I'll be cross referencing it with ETFs that have good charts and will give good exposure. It'll probably be for my retirement account instead of my personal account given the timeframe required.

Some off-the-cuff thoughts with light research has me thinking
  • Short fossil fuels
  • Long environmentally responsible companies
  • Short banks
  • Short defense companies
  • Short prison industry complex companies

I gotta do some more digging to research specific companies and sub-sectors.

who_better_than_me

Time to go!!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pfizer ($PFE) September 18 $40 Call options are cheap ($0.16). Gonna get a few hundred worth of contracts, could 3x-30x on Pfizer vaccine news. Very low IV too (30%)

Y76IzeM.png

EDIT: Looks like AstroZeneca ($AZN) is ahead of Pfizer on a vaccine. Still gonna get $100 or so worth of those Pfizer calls just in case

That’s an out-the-money option contract isn’t it. I’m pretty sure that’s the reason it’s so cheap. Out-the-money call options are taboo in the options community...

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
The more research I have done the thinking is health care field would benefit from Biden

but bio companies might get more scrutiny for the insane price hikes

big tech could be hurt a little by increasing taxes (not really but could affect gross margins enough to fire more workers while the big cats stay getting fat)

industrial could benefit possibly with emphasizing on clean water and energy

Nobu

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That’s an out-the-money option contract isn’t it. I’m pretty sure that’s the reason it’s so cheap. Out-the-money call options are taboo in the options community...

yeah it's 25% out of the money. i don't mind dropping $100 on OTM options that could 10x+ on a decent spike

but upon further reflection i don't like pfizer's chart, stuck in the same range for years and too large a market cap. also not the leading vaccine.