Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
Recently, someone brought it to my attention that Madoff's pics with Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein and other Wall Street tyc00ns have disappeared from Google images. Comical

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
had for a min. in 06 and sold for a small cap gain ....i effed up

December 10, 2013
MasterCard to Split Stock, Raise Dividend 83 Pct
PURCHASE, N.Y. — MasterCard will roll back the price of its stock with its first split as a public company. It also plans to reward shareholders with an 83 percent increase in its dividend and spend up to $3.5 billion buying back its stock.

The maneuvers announced Tuesday is designed to provide another lift to a stock that has soared nearly twentyfold from its initial public offering price of $39 in May 2006. The stock closed Tuesday at $763.61, a run-up driven by MasterCard Inc.'s steadily rising profits as people increasingly rely on debit and credit cards instead of cash.

Stock splits are designed to widen the potential pool of investors by making it less expensive to buy individual shares. Although savvy investors often dismiss splits as a gimmick, they tend to generate more buzz about stocks. And a higher dividend pleases investors because it delivers more cash to stockholders as long as they hold on to their shares.

The 10-for-1 split calls for stockholders to receive nine additional shares for each one they already own. That means MasterCard will issue nearly 1.1 billion more shares next month, an increase that will dramatically drive down its stock price.

Based on Tuesday's closing price, a 10-for-1 split will push the shares below $80. The split is scheduled to occur Jan. 21.

But MasterCard's market value — $92 billion on Tuesday — would remain steady because of the increase in outstanding shares.

A new quarterly dividend of $1.10, or 11 cents after the split, will be paid Feb. 10. MasterCard's dividend had been 60 cents.

In another show of confidence, the Purchase, N.Y., company also plans to spend an additional $3.5 billion buying back its stock. The new commitment will kick in after MasterCard exhausts the remaining $514 million left in a $2 billion budget earmarked for buying back stock. Buying back company shares can help boost a company's earnings per share.

aliG

Pro
Daps
Has anyone heard of this company called ProFire Energy? They specialize in burner management systems. I really like where the company is headed and wanted to see if anyone on the COLI also sees my vision.

无名的

Superstar
Daps
QUNR back up to mid 29s today. So far I've missed out on 30 some grand profit the past two weeks. Would have broken even on the first buy today and made 4 grand on the 2nd.

:patrice:

I've got a couple long plays I'm looking into right now.

I'm looking at Chinese stocks trading near their all time low and in the dollars range that were once way the hell up there.

When you have a stock trading 12 cents off the bottom at $1.12 a share and once traded at $46.50, I smell potential and affordability.

:ld:

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
Sounds like banks have another 1.75 yrs to gamble .

Volcker vote ushers in new world order for banks

By Gina Chon and Tom Braithwaite in Washington

The largest US banks were facing a new world order on Tuesday as regulators voted through the Volcker rule, which will make it harder for Wall Street to make risky gambles that could once again endanger the financial system.

The rule dramatically curbs the way banks do business, banning them from making bets using their own accounts in what is known as proprietary trading, and also holding their chief executives more accountable. But it gives regulators a lot of room for interpretation.

As a result, the way agencies implement the rule will be key in determining whether it can really prevent another incident like the $6bn-plus “London whale” derivatives trading loss JPMorgan suffered in 2012.

Some Wall Street law firms breathed a sigh of relief after seeing the final terms. “We think this is killing a fly with a hammer but we’re not going to relitigate that point now,” said one senior bank executive. “It’s clear that the technicians at the regulators made a sincere effort to improve it.”

Shares in Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs, the two most trading-reliant Wall Street banks, were the top performers in the industry, rising more than 1.2 per cent.

However, trade associations hinted at legal action or slammed the provisions. The American Bankers Association said banks and customers would suffer from this “enormous, highly complex and burdensome rule,” which would make it too hard to provide some services that pose no risk to the financial system.

The long-awaited rule is named after Paul Volcker, the former Federal Reserve chairman who wanted to prohibit banks from making speculative bets that he said helped cause the financial crisis in 2008.

“The result should help the process of restoring trust and confidence in commercial banking institutions,” Mr Volcker said on Tuesday. “It is, after all, those institutions which benefit from explicit and implicit public support that we count on to provide a strong, safe, and effective financial system.”

It became one of the most contentious hallmarks of the Dodd-Frank financial reforms of 2010, but it endured infighting by the five regulatory agencies involved in writing it, intense lobbying by banks to stop it and pressure from bank critics to strengthen it.

Finally on Tuesday, after pressure from President Barack Obama and Treasury Secretary Jack Lew, all five regulatory agencies that needed to approve the measure had done so, despite some dissent within the Commodity Futures Trading Commission and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

“The Volcker rule will make it illegal for firms to use government-insured money to make speculative bets that threaten the entire financial system, and demand a new era of accountability from CEOs who must sign off on their firm’s practices,” Mr Obama said.

Now banks face the difficult task of grappling with what Volcker means for them and what businesses they will have to curb or eliminate to comply. Among the terms of the 71 page-long rule is a requirement that banks set up incentives so they do not encourage traders to engage in proprietary trading.

The text of the measure totals about 1,000 pages because of a preamble that addresses more than 18,000 letters submitting comment, which could be used by the agencies as guidance.
"The Volcker rule will demand a new era of accountability from CEOs who must sign off on their firm’s practices"

- Barack Obama

The rule goes into effect on April 1 2014, although the compliance date will be delayed for a year to July 21 2015. But starting in June 2014, large banks are required to begin reporting certain information to show they are working to comply with the rule.

One aspect that regulators strengthened in recent weeks was how the rule defines hedging, an issue that gained new urgency after JPMorgan’s derivatives trading loss.

“The London whale episode allowed staff to test the procedural and substantive requirements of the proposed rule against a real-world example of what should not happen in a banking organisation,” said Daniel Tarullo, Federal Reserve governor.

Jamie Dimon, JPMorgan chief executive, described the loss as a portfolio hedge. “The final rule has been strengthened from the proposal in several aspects to prevent banking entities from conducting proprietary trading under the guise of hedging,” according to a Fed staff note to its governors.

The rule also requires that banks conduct an analysis, including assessing correlation, to show the hedge is in connection with “identified positions, contracts or other holdings of the banking entity.”

To hold chief executives accountable, they must attest in writing that their banks are setting up processes to maintain, enforce and review compliance programmes, but they do not have to certify that the bank is not engaged in proprietary trading.

Another provision that was strengthened involves banks being prohibited from investing in or sponsoring what are called “covered funds”, which include hedge funds and private equity funds.

Banks will be able to engage in market-making activities in which they buy and sell bonds and other financial instruments as long as they prove they are aimed at meeting the “reasonably expected near term demands of clients, customers or counterparties”.

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Sounds like banks have another 1.75 yrs to gamble .

Volcker vote ushers in new world order for banks

By Gina Chon and Tom Braithwaite in Washington

i said this in another thread...I guess there's going to be no more prop trading,,,,,
Lucille-Winking-animated-gif-arrested-development-31133148-245-245.gif

if interest rates go up they make money...as simple as that. If you don't understand this then you don't know how banks work... I didn't read most of the article but JPM and GS will survive in any regulatory environment.

GoogleMe

$ ¥ € £ $
Daps
Reppin
The Street
Has anyone heard of this company called ProFire Energy? They specialize in burner management systems. I really like where the company is headed and wanted to see if anyone on the COLI also sees my vision.

Traded 4,495 shares today. 85% of shares held by insiders. 0% held by institutional/mf owners. OTCBB. AVOID. :camby:

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
Why negative view on OTC? Fill me in. Never traded one.

I know it trades at a couple bucks but, OTC doesn't nearly have the scrutiny of the SEC as real stocks do. they're pump and dumps, scams....

don't get me wrong, you'll have some retard who made a million off OTC but they are most likely get-rich-quick-schemes. stick to real exchanges. OTC means leo in wolf on wall street or giovanni ribisi in boiler room selling you fairy tales....

Last edited:

aliG

Pro
Daps
I know it trades at a couple bucks but, OTC doesn't nearly have the scrutiny of the SEC as real stocks do. they're pump and dumps, scams....

don't get me wrong, you'll have some retard who made a million off OTC but they are most likely get-rich-quick-schemes. stick to real exchanges. OTC means leo in wolf on wall street or giovanni ribisi in boiler room selling you fairy tales....

I don't have much experience with OTC. I guess I will just stick to real exchanges.

TigerLord

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
don't start. penny stocks that don't have nearly the scrutiny of the SEC as real stocks do. pump and dumps, scams....

don't get me wrong you have some retard who made a million off OTC but they are most likely get-rich-quick-schemes. stick to real exchanges. OTC means leo in wolf on wall street or giovanni ribisi in boiler room selling you fairy tales..

wow. good to know.

TigerLord

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Let me ask another question based off that OTC stock.

How do analyst ratings add to a stock's credibility? I imagine a rating from a bigger firm would give it more notoriety and value but when I see a company with, for example, a Zack's Rating of "Strong Buy" is that worth anything?

Domingo Halliburton

Handmade in USA
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn Without Limits
wow. good to know.

unless you have seen the company with your own eyes do not invest in something small.
Let me ask another question based off that OTC stock.

How do analyst ratings add to a stock's credibility? I imagine a rating from a bigger firm would give it more notoriety and value but when I see a company with, for example, a Zack's Rating of "Strong Buy" is that worth anything?

ratings certainly affect it. Its odd though.

like nobody gives a shyt about a moodys downgrade....but we care when Goldman does it....

and it should be the opposite.