Boardwalk Empire was supposed to be up there with the greats now its forgotten

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The issue was nearly every other character was more interesting than Nucky. Having the show set around him made sense at the beginning since it was the start of prohibition but as the other Gangsters started to make names for themselves (Capone, Lucky, Lansky) it should have shifted focus to them. I was bummed when they skipped 7 years for the final season and we missed so much potential dope shyt.

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Why Bobby Cannavale ain't got no starring roles after vinyl? Seeing him wasted on ant man and shyt.

Gyp Rosetti still the goat. :mjcry:
Not any staring roles but he's definitely been eating. Seen dude in hella movies and shows since first watching Boardwalk.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Not any staring roles but he's definitely been eating. Seen dude in hella movies and shows since first watching Boardwalk.
Cannavale would’ve been so dope on The Sopranos.

But you’re right, he’s getting exposure. The most notable things I’ve seen him in was The Irishman and Mr. Robot.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Show was good but I felt I was always watching 45 mins of Nicky and wife just to get to 10 mins of the gangsters and characters worth watching

I’m having deja vu that I even commented this already

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Jimmy should have not been killed. They should have worked out shyt with the actor who played him and properly finished off his storyline. Rushed the last season skipping out on a lot of shyt that they should have covered. Still pissed they canceled this for a show that didn't last long at all.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
You all are bugging. I just finished 5 seasons and there was not a single bad season to me, and the ending was perfect imo

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
Truth no other show had such quality actors and great characters but meandered quite like this. This should be remembered as the GOAT gangster show.

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
i don't see how anyone could find enjoyment in season 5 :francis:
The flash backs were great imo and fleshed out more of the story and characters, showed what a monster the commodore was, the relationship with Jimmy’s mom and how tragic it really was, despite the fukked up shyt she did, I felt bad for her. In the end Nucky died all because of what he did to her and her family by taking her to the commodore, knowing what he would do. Butterfly effect.

• Dap
Reactions: Sbp

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This series was INCREDIBLE for 4 seasons. One of the best shows I've ever seen. I wish they wouldn't have ended it early for Vinyl.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
New York was so much more interesting.

They really got the vibe right for them NY and Jewish Jersey scenes.

It's a damn shame they didn't make it as a marvel universe esque take on the prohibition era gangland instead of being solely focussed on Nucky. 1 season on each city, gradually building it up to the last season where lucky and eyetalians completely take over. With that cast and production, it would have been one of the goat shows imo.

Astronomer

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just did a rewatch recently. It’s much better if you don’t watch it as a gangster story and you watch it from the standpoint of it as:

1. A critique of 20th century American greed and excess
2. A critique on how men exploit women in pursuit of their conquests.
3. A critique of how white people exploit everyone who isn’t white in pursuit of their conquests.
4. Warning against the dangers of alcohol (weird I know)
5. Warning against the dangers of ego.

These are themes that they purposefully make a point to drive home in each season that I didn’t totally pick up on when I watched it originally as just a show about gangsters and prohibition.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Just did a rewatch recently. It’s much better if you don’t watch it as a gangster story and you watch it from the standpoint of it as:

1. A critique of 20th century American greed and excess
2. A critique on how men exploit women in pursuit of their conquests.
3. A critique of how white people exploit everyone who isn’t white in pursuit of their conquests.
4. Warning against the dangers of alcohol (weird I know)
5. Warning against the dangers of ego.

These are themes that they purposefully make a point to drive home in each season that I didn’t totally pick up on when I watched it originally as just a show about gangsters and prohibition.
I dont know about point 3, they exploited everyone they could.