"Blurred Lines" Verdict Upheld by Appeals Court in Win for Marvin Gaye Family

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
:gucci:

breh, Pharrell produces his own music...track clearly ain't a sample...

They sound so similar I started getting confused:ohhh:

"Producing his own music", huh? I just found a photo of him in the studio producing "Blurred Lines" and "Happy"

McDonalds-%E2%80%93-Coming-to-America-13.jpg

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Let the record show that the Gayes didn't even sue - Thicke did. Why, if they weren't stealing? The Gayes were forced to *countersue*.

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Wait, the original lawsuit was filed by Thicke? Who was he suing?

The Gaye family.

Yet the "Blurred Lines" co-writers, Pharrell Williams and Robin Thicke (but not third co-writer Clifford "T.I." Harris) started the proceedings that led to the trial. The "Blurred Line" co-writers sued Marvin Gaye's family, seeking declaratory relief from a judge that their song was non-infringing on the Gaye Song, "Got To Give It Up."

'Blurred Lines' Verdict: How It Started, Why It Backfired on Robin Thicke and Why Songwriters Should Be Nervous

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I don't use smilies but if there was ever a time for "you know you done fukked up, don't you?"..it's here

THANKS

"I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure"

Dudes were trying to jack the song in a way that they wouldn't have to grant credit for it. That's plain as day.

MFers are outright thieves.

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Yup. Idiots hear that cowbell and automatically think it’s the “same” when the actually sheet music tells a very differently story.

Allow Nick Payton to explain why this line of thought is flawed:

"If you read music, all you have to do is read the sheet music. It’s completely different.”
— Pharrell Williams

I read music, do you? And what sheet music are you talking about? From some wack publishing company that did a transcription of Marvin Gaye’s work? Since when do people learn funk tunes from sheet music? Many funk legends can’t even read music. Marvin Gaye couldn’t read or write music, yet he wrote the tune. So what does that say, really?

Pharrell goes on to say:

“[Gaye] is the king of all kings, so let’s be clear about that. And we take our hats off to him, but anybody that plays music and reads music, just simply go to the piano and play the two. One’s minor and one’s major. And not even in the same key.”

Okay, Mr. Williams. You are wrong. Both of the tunes are actually in Major. The difference is that your song is just a major triad “G-B-D over G” and Gaye’s tune is in Dominant Major which means he flatted the 7th degree of the scale (G-C#-E over A), which would explain why y’all’s song sounds like Oktoberfest and Marvin’s song sounds like the Blues. And Marvin’s tune doesn’t go into minor until the bridge. If that monotonous piece of trash you call a song had a bridge, you probably would have stolen it, too. And just because you and Thicke lowered the key a whole step from A to G and removed the Blues doesn’t mean you didn’t steal it. Thicke has already admitted you did.

An Open Letter To Pharrell Williams (Blurred Lines Vol. 3) – Nicholas Payton

Like Payton says - don't pay homage, pay royalties.

I also read music, and transcription companies are pure shyt when it comes to black music. All they can transcribe are the basic keys, chords and time signatures. I mean, I can't even explain how terrible they are. So while Payton is an absolute hater when it comes to hip-hop (to the point of being irrational, IMO), he's absolutely right about this point.

(edited to sound like less of a music snob)

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
St louis
*in court*

lawyer: your honor this sounds nothing like marvin:ld:
judge: seeing as how me and my wife made children to that album.:ufdup:
lawyer: :merchant:
judge: lava lamps,frankencense the yellow envelopes of:ohlawd:.....ahem:whew:
lawyer: your honor may i approach the bench.:mjpls:
*judge closes eyes and sings...dont yooou wanna care!!
2qtzsyw.jpg

lawyer: your honor:dahell:
judge: look junior i have that album and saw him live at the palladium.:umad:
lawyer: :snoop:
judge: this is foolishness.....bailiff get these nikkas outta here:camby:
lawyer: but your honor:why:
*judge puts on beats headphones and closes eyes*
judge: aint it loooooonely out there!!
2qtzsyw.jpg

wat6rr.jpg

Maxine Shaw

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
Dudes were trying to jack the song in a way that they wouldn't have to grant credit for it. That's plain as day.

MFers are outright thieves.

I can't believe ANYONE would side w/Thicke and/or Pharrell. Suing the very family you stole from is bad enough, but suing the heirs of one of the greatest soul singers alive? That's taking caccing to new heights.

And the best part of it? Pharrell - Mr. "Anyone Who Reads Music Can See This Is Bullshyt" Williams - can't read music after all.

In the above video, Williams was asked which chords are used in bluegrass songs. He replied, "You should check it out" and "I'm not a teacher." Busch, the opposing lawyer, continued to probe him on his knowledge of chords and music structure, to which Williams replied, "I'm not here to teach you music." The singer admitted that he is able to read a musical notation, but is unable to write one. When asked to name two musical notes and their duration, he replied, "I'm not comfortable with this" and "I can't answer you at this time."

Pharrell Williams' Contentious 'Blurred Lines' Testimony Unsealed (Exclusive Video)

CoordinatedFlippantBeetle-max-1mb.gif

It's kind of hard to explain what's going on to the brehs here who don't know music theory, but musically speaking, Pharrell is basically saying he can read, but can't identify letters in the alphabet. It's hysterical.

Lawyer: What are the letters on this page?
Pharrell: (looking at C-A-T) I'm not comfortable with this...

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I understand everyone cheering because a white guy who is doing black music is getting hit up for $$$

But anyone who actually has any music IQ whatsoever knows that this is the wrong decision.

Because if that qualifies as being suable, every song ever created can be sued by someone.
Man a lot of people might get hit up for that bread... especially these artists who are trying to bring back the old sound. It is what it is though... I think people being able to easily stream these songs is helping with these lawsuits.. Oh well.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Every song EVER created?
Or do you mean a lot of the songs from the past 20-30 years that weren't created by musicians jamming or a person composing them, but by sampling other records?
All the greatest music ever created was made from whenever music started to like 1990 or some shyt. Whenever sampling became pretty much the norm is when shyt changed to me. I love a song with samples or cover songs but it is what it is.

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I can't believe ANYONE would side w/Thicke and/or Pharrell. Suing the very family you stole from is bad enough, but suing the heirs of one of the greatest soul singers alive? That's taking caccing to new heights.

And the best part of it? Pharrell - Mr. "Anyone Who Reads Music Can See This Is Bullshyt" Williams - can't read music after all.

It's kind of hard to explain what's going on to the brehs here who don't know music theory, but musically speaking, Pharrell is basically saying he can read, but can't identify letters in the alphabet. It's hysterical.

Lawyer: What are the letters on this page?
Pharrell: (looking at C-A-T) I'm not comfortable with this...
Yeah, we aired out and laughed at the deposition on post #21 of this thread......the "I'm not comfortable" part as well as another video where Pharell says "I did not go in the studio with the intention of making anything feel like to sound like Marvin Gaye" & later in that segment they pull up the XXL magazine quote where he said " but the percussion, I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure" .

He was obviously copping pleas, so it was funny. He's a thief, anybody who is being objective can see that.