ap,550x550,12x16,1,transparent,t.u4.png

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Songs are different to me :yeshrug:

Yup. Idiots hear that cowbell and automatically think it’s the “same” when the actually sheet music tells a very differently story. No melody in Blurred Lines matches Got To Give It Up. Do People rally think a vet like Pharrell would be so blatant to jack a soul legend like Marvin Gaye on a smash hit that STILL could set it off in a party?

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Yup. Idiots hear that cowbell and automatically think it’s the “same” when the actually sheet music tells a very differently story. No melody in Blurred Lines matches Got To Give It Up. Do People rally think a vet like Pharrell would be so blatant to jack a soul legend like Marvin Gaye on a smash hit that STILL could set it off in a party?

Obviously Pharell was inspired by the Marvin Gaye song, and tried to change enough shyt to avoid a law suit and pull a fast one, he failed.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
his deposition says different

XXL: One of the biggest thing in production is always sampling. You'd gotten into a little bit of an issue with "Blurred Lines" and Marvin Gaye's estate. Did you see the similarities in those tracks? How did you deal with that fallout?
Pharrell:
Well listen, I have the utmost respect, the most, utmost respect for Marvin Gaye and his music, and he is one of the patriarchs, he is one of the best. But here's the thing—you can't trademark a groove. If I play a song—which a lot of my new hip-hop, rap records are—that's done in 6/8 time signature, Charlie Parker's family is not going to sue me for that. Do you understand what I'm saying? If I do a salsa beat right now, I know that Ricky Martin's family is not going to come looking for me.

Because that's what we're dealing with. We're dealing with the idea that someone feels like a groove is proprietary, and it's not. Music is, and the notes are, and when you look at the sheet music, then you'd know. And just for a bit of humor, the percussion that I use on "Blurred Lines," aside from the music notation being completely different, completely different—the sheet music is available online, by the way—but the percussion, I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure. So unfortunately there's no comparison between the minor, bluesy chords he was playing and my major, bluegrass-y chords, and that's very plain to see for anyone who can read music.

Can you read musical notes?

YES

Can you tell me what these notes are?

I'M NOT COMFORTABLE

Last edited:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
his deposition says different

XXL: One of the biggest thing in production is always sampling. You'd gotten into a little bit of an issue with "Blurred Lines" and Marvin Gaye's estate. Did you see the similarities in those tracks? How did you deal with that fallout?
Pharrell:
Well listen, I have the utmost respect, the most, utmost respect for Marvin Gaye and his music, and he is one of the patriarchs, he is one of the best. But here's the thing—you can't trademark a groove. If I play a song—which a lot of my new hip-hop, rap records are—that's done in 6/8 time signature, Charlie Parker's family is not going to sue me for that. Do you understand what I'm saying? If I do a salsa beat right now, I know that Ricky Martin's family is not going to come looking for me.

Because that's what we're dealing with. We're dealing with the idea that someone feels like a groove is proprietary, and it's not. Music is, and the notes are, and when you look at the sheet music, then you'd know. And just for a bit of humor, the percussion that I use on "Blurred Lines," aside from the music notation being completely different, completely different—the sheet music is available online, by the way—but the percussion, I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure. So unfortunately there's no comparison between the minor, bluesy chords he was playing and my major, bluegrass-y chords, and that's very plain to see for anyone who can read music.

Can you read musical notes?

YES

Can you tell me what these notes are?

I'M NOT COMFORTABLE

I’m well aware of the deposition. Doesn’t take away from the fact that the sheet music/notes are different regardless of whether Pharrell can read music note by note. Harmonies and melodies are both different

A Music Theory Expert Explains Why the “Blurred Lines” Copyright Decision Is Wrong

And peep this with some under the hood info as a reference

Blurred Lines case: An analysis of the piano arrangements as they were presented to the jury – Dan Reitz Dot Blog

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Una Mas how? They bascially said that any part of the song that Gaye popularized can't be sampled without being cleared before hand. Pharrell obviously knew production stole from Gayes song and Thicke being a R&B artist had to be familar with Gayes work. They tried to down play it like they did not really sample Marvin but did and got caught.

wolf-animated-gif-9.gif

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I’m well aware of the deposition. Doesn’t take away from the fact that the sheet music/notes are different regardless of whether Pharrell can read music note by note. Harmonies and melodies are both different

A Music Theory Expert Explains Why the “Blurred Lines” Copyright Decision Is Wrong

And peep this with some under the hood info as a reference

Blurred Lines case: An analysis of the piano arrangements as they were presented to the jury – Dan Reitz Dot Blog

The post wasn't going after you. I just don't fukk with Pharrell. I've read both sides of the argument post verdict. If the man who produced Blurred Lines can't read music, doesn't play instruments, & didn't hire session musicians to play these "blue-grassy cords" he alluded to....he ends up tripping over his own words trying to defend himself.
He sounds like an idiot.

I like the records he makes, but he always comes across as an idiot in interviews..

I tell you what's interesting, they used to air old Soul Train episodes and I've heard two old songs that sound more like blurred lines than this Marvin record does. Can't remember the artists or the songs.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Blurred lines was OBVIOUSLY bitten from this song, how did he not know

Lmao pharrell shouldve known damn better than that. He just added some whistles and a different drum pattern. Nikka got lazy from his early hit making days. Guess this the reason why i dont hear blurred lines on the radio anymore

Daps
Reppin
NULL

I understand everyone cheering because a white guy who is doing black music is getting hit up for $$$

But anyone who actually has any music IQ whatsoever knows that this is the wrong decision.

Because if that qualifies as being suable, every song ever created can be sued by someone.