"Blurred Lines" Verdict Upheld by Appeals Court in Win for Marvin Gaye Family

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
I understand everyone cheering because a white guy who is doing black music is getting hit up for $$$

But anyone who actually has any music IQ whatsoever knows that this is the wrong decision.

Because if that qualifies as being suable, every song ever created can be sued by someone.

This. Pharrell gotta pay some of that too. Only one who escaped was TI because if they included his part of the song during the trial the would’ve easily lost because TIP’s verse/melody sounds radically different from Got To Give It Up

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I understand everyone cheering because a white guy who is doing black music is getting hit up for $$$

But anyone who actually has any music IQ whatsoever knows that this is the wrong decision.

Because if that qualifies as being suable, every song ever created can be sued by someone.
Every song EVER created?
Or do you mean a lot of the songs from the past 20-30 years that weren't created by musicians jamming or a person composing them, but by sampling other records?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Every song EVER created?
Or do you mean a lot of the songs from the past 20-30 years that weren't created by musicians jamming or a person composing them, but by sampling other records?

The blurred lines and marvin gaye joint have a similar tempo and rhythm. And they both have a damn cow bell. THATS IT! Thats all they have in common. The melodies are entirety different.

There is inspiration and then there is plagarism.

Every song that is created is inspired by another one before it.

So i guess Marley Marl and Rick Rubin should go ahead and sue every rap song ever created?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The blurred lines and marvin gaye joint have a similar tempo and rhythm. And they both have a damn cow bell. THATS IT! Thats all they have in common. The melodies are entirety different.

There is inspiration and then there is plagarism.

Every song that is created is inspired by another one before it.

So i guess Marley Marl and Rick Rubin should go ahead and sue every rap song ever created?
These are the exact words of the producer of Blurred Lines

"Music is, and the notes are, and when you look at the sheet music, then you'd know. And just for a bit of humor, the percussion that I use on "Blurred Lines," aside from the music notation being completely different, completely different—the sheet music is available online, by the way—but the percussion, I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure. So unfortunately there's no comparison between the minor, bluesy chords he was playing and my major, bluegrass-y chords, and that's very plain to see for anyone who can read music."

They read this quote to him at the deposition, he confirmed that he said it....and later when asked to read music notation, he CAN'T do it. Again, I'm not sure Pharrell plays instruments or has session musicians in the studio. Where do the sounds come from?

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps
These are the exact words of the producer of Blurred Lines

"Music is, and the notes are, and when you look at the sheet music, then you'd know. And just for a bit of humor, the percussion that I use on "Blurred Lines," aside from the music notation being completely different, completely different—the sheet music is available online, by the way—but the percussion, I was trying to pretend that I was Marvin Gaye, and what he would do had he went down to Nashville and did a record with pentatonic harmonies, and more of a bluegrass chord structure. So unfortunately there's no comparison between the minor, bluesy chords he was playing and my major, bluegrass-y chords, and that's very plain to see for anyone who can read music."

They read this quote to him at the deposition, he confirmed that he said it....and later when asked to read music notation, he CAN'T do it. Again, I'm not sure Pharrell plays instruments or has session musicians in the studio. Where do the sounds come from?

Pharrell can play instruments...a lot of people can play by ear without reading, but i remember an interview A LONG time ago where he said he'd recently learned how to read music and how much it helped him, and this was after having a lot of success...

it's a deposition...nobody's gonna be 100% honest...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Pharrell can play instruments...a lot of people can play by ear without reading, but i remember an interview A LONG time ago where he said he'd recently learned how to read music and how much it helped him, and this was after having a lot of success...

it's a deposition...nobody's gonna be 100% honest...
Would you happen to have the original liner notes/song credits for the song?

That used to be the first thing I read in the old school era where music was a physical product. On Prince albums it would say "all instruments and arrangement by Prince". I'd like to see what the credits were for Blurred Lines.....I think the entire song was sampled/beats programmed.....I want to see if Pharrell played any of these bluegrassy cords he mentioned.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

That used to be the first thing I read in the old school era where music was a physical product. On Prince albums it would say "all instruments and arrangement by Prince". I'd like to see what the credits were for Blurred Lines.....I think the entire song was sampled/beats programmed.....I want to see if Pharrell played any of these bluegrassy cords he mentioned.

After reading this post i can tell that you've never created a song before or even understand what sampling entirely means.

I forget sometimes that i used to be a music producer myself so i understand these things a lot more than the average listener. Im honestly not trying to talk down to you or talk myself up.

But now im realizing that actually most people are like you and i understand the confusion on why so many people who are not a musician or producer would agree with the ruling.

So let me try and explain.

Sampling is directly ripping a song. Like literally importing the song into your music software program and then editing it.

Thats clearly not what happened nor is anyone accusing of it happening.

In this instance, the question of ruling is whether blurred lines was what you call an “interpolation” of the marvin gaye song,

An interpolation is when you are not directly sampling a song but you are copying the chord structure and melody. That means someone is physically behind a drum machine and keyboard and playing it out but copying the exact chords and singing the same melody. Very similar to a cover band performing songs in a bar.

This “interpolation” is what is in question in this case.

Did pharell blatently copy the chords and melody that was sung? Even just remotely? I mean just changing a few notes here and there?

In this case, i believe the answer is no.

I just re read your post, and now im thinking that maybe you think “sampling” is more like a computer and electronic thing? As opposed to someone actually plugging in a guitar into an amp and playing it out? Im a bit confused.

Once again, no hostility. Just good discussion.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
After reading this post i can tell that you've never created a song before or even understand what sampling entirely means.

I forget sometimes that i used to be a music producer myself so i understand these things a lot more than the average listener. Im honestly not trying to talk down to you or talk myself up.

But now im realizing that actually most people are like you and i understand the confusion on why so many people who are not a musician or producer would agree with the ruling.

So let me try and explain.

Sampling is directly ripping a song. Like literally importing the song into your music software program and then editing it.

Thats clearly not what happened nor is anyone accusing of it happening.

In this instance, the question of ruling is whether blurred lines was what you call an “interpolation” of the marvin gaye song,

An interpolation is when you are not directly sampling a song but you are copying the chord structure and melody. That means someone is physically behind a drum machine and keyboard and playing it out but copying the exact chords and singing the same melody. Very similar to a cover band performing songs in a bar.

This “interpolation” is what is in question in this case.

Did pharell blatently copy the chords and melody that was sung? Even just remotely? I mean just changing a few notes here and there?

In this case, i believe the answer is no.

I just re read your post, and now im thinking that maybe you think “sampling” is more like a computer and electronic thing? As opposed to someone actually plugging in a guitar into an amp and playing it out? Im a bit confused.

Once again, no hostility. Just good discussion.
No offense taken. I'm familiar with the term "interpolation" in real life and again....from always reading liner notes and album song credits. It's a common term especially since the Biz Markie and De La Soul legal issues that I made reference to in the first page of this thread. Since then, rap liner notes use that term often "this song contains an interpolation of say Atomic Dog by George Clinton"

I asked to see the liner notes and song credits from the Blurred Lines song for the reasons I stated in the last post. I'm not sure Pharell played any instruments or hired sessions musicians, so I want to see the actual credited musicians for the song. I want to know WHO played this "bluegrassy cord" that he mentioned.

Nature's Fury

addicts of drugs not yet synthesized
Daps

:gucci:

breh, Pharrell produces his own music...track clearly ain't a sample...

Lifejennings

Superstar
Daps

tumblr_or7psvTLTw1wp7zf2o1_400.gif

Jesus. Has anything been released in the last 10 years that's as beautiful as this?