Blueprint artwork wasnt 100% original.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
What makes this an issue is that the cover got props from many people who thought it was an original work of Jay and his staff. Had they referenced a well known photo it would not be an issue because it would be clear that they borrowed the concept. Without giving credit to the original photo it comes off as stealing a concept and passing it off as their own.

It has nothing to do with originality at all really, just seemingly taking undue credit because it is a lesser known photo. How are people really trying to justify this? Regardless of whether someone is a Jay fan or hater, putting biases aside I'd think people would find this unacceptable.

basically...

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
What makes this an issue is that the cover got props from many people who thought it was an original work of Jay and his staff. Had they referenced a well known photo it would not be an issue because it would be clear that they borrowed the concept. Without giving credit to the original photo it comes off as stealing a concept and passing it off as their own.

It has nothing to do with originality at all really, just seemingly taking undue credit because it is a lesser known photo. How are people really trying to justify this? Regardless of whether someone is a Jay fan or hater, putting biases aside I'd think people would find this unacceptable.

That's one way to put it, another way to put it is that jay never goes for the obvious but almost always the obscure when it comes to his lyrics, art etc.
For me the album cover is just a nice cover without knowing the story behind the original, but when I found out about the origins I thought it was super dope cause it was a gangster schooling students. And I drew the reference that Jay-z a hustler was schooling rappers. Just like 99 problems became an even doper song when you got the story behind it.

As far as the biting part, maybe the photo was a bit too incognito. I understand what you are saying about people giving props to Jay for something he didn't do. my problem here is that Jay does not take his own photos. He hires people to come up with shyt based on what Jay tells them, so in any event all his covers are "ghostwritten" by someone else.

Jamaro85

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's one way to put it, another way to put it is that jay never goes for the obvious but almost always the obscure when it comes to his lyrics, art etc.
For me the album cover is just a nice cover without knowing the story behind the original, but when I found out about the origins I thought it was super dope cause it was a gangster schooling students. And I drew the reference that Jay-z a hustler was schooling rappers. Just like 99 problems became an even doper song when you got the story behind it.

As far as the biting part, maybe the photo was a bit too incognito. I understand what you are saying about people giving props to Jay for something he didn't do. my problem here is that Jay does not take his own photos. He hires people to come up with shyt based on what Jay tells them, so in any event all his covers are "ghostwritten" by someone else.

I understand where you're coming from with your correlation in the first paragraph. I didn't understand what the cover was really; I initially thought he was heading a boardroom meeting with his colleagues. I'm not familiar of the story behind 99 Problems though, I'll have to look that up when I get to my laptop.

The photo was almost certainly unknown to hip-hop fans and I still think he should've given an acknowledgement in the liner notes or something. Fair enough though, your sentiments were well put.

Non Sequitur

Creep.
Daps
Reppin
The 3rd Degree

He could have just credited the guy :leon:

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
i swear i don't really care about that album at all. i mean, it's not wack...i never play that shyt.

i like IWW more than Blueprint. There you go Nas stans.

Omerta

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OZ via El Barrio
This doesn't affect my perception of the album at all. So I don't really care.

I mean it's a dikk move, but it doesn't surprise me at all. It's Jay-Z, there's always someone who's been shafted with everything he does.

Still a classic album.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
classic my ass. people told you it was classic and you said yes. he wasn't even really beastin' the mic that hard on that album.

for all it's flaws In My Lifetime Vol. 1 has waaaaaaay better material than Blueprint.