Bloomberg’s Jason Schrier: "Xbox is a 'mess' right now, Plans change every year, Teasing "Handheld" right now"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I would advise Microsoft to just start working on the next project. Sony has a chokehold that XBox can't break out of.
Why bother with a next project? The market has spoken and it doesn't really want Microsoft hardware.

Sony has had a few stumbles this generation and if Microsoft couldn't capitalize on them there's nothing to be done.

Microsoft just doesn't have the software output and quality to support a home console and make it desirable. The investment in Activision Blizzard has forced their hand in a multuplatform direction. They're too deep into that to pull back. The further they go into that the less desirable their hardware becomes.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Why bother with a next project? The market has spoken and it doesn't really want Microsoft hardware.

Sony has had a few stumbles this generation and if Microsoft couldn't capitalize on them there's nothing to be done.

Microsoft just doesn't have the software output and quality to support a home console and make it desirable. The investment in Activision Blizzard has forced their hand in a multuplatform direction. They're too deep into that to pull back. The further they go into that the less desirable their hardware becomes.

Hopefully in 2026 Microsoft puts out new hardware. 6 years is long enough for a console generation. Given the PS4 Pro's timeline it came out and there were 4 more years of the PS4 being the current system. Not really looking forward to have the PS5 be the current console until 2028.

Why would it be stupid? It's just going back to the way things always were. A console came out and within 5-6 years it was replaced and a couple years after the replacement, the previous model was phased out. Nintendo still does it like that.

Hell the Xbox One X came out at $499 and within 3 years it was replaced by the Series X which also cost $499.

they put out a new console they can get attention and generate a buzz. Put all those studios to work on making it a better product. Putting out a console in 2026 is not unreasonable.

Thats a quick change of heart :patrice:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Thats a quick change of heart :patrice:
It's not a change of heart it's reality. The output hasn't been there and the chickens have come home to roost. There's only so long they can keep acquiring studios and still have the same issue until any rational person comes to that conclusion.

I'm not like these other posters. I don't stand behind whatever a company does regardless because I have no loyal to any corporation. I'm not gonna look at blue water and say it's green.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's not a change of heart it's reality. The output hasn't been there and the chickens have come home to roost. There's only so long they can keep acquiring studios and still have the same issue until any rational person comes to that conclusion.

I'm not like these other posters. I don't stand behind whatever a company does regardless because I have no loyal to any corporation. I'm not gonna look at blue water and say it's green.

I agree, but it was the reality a year ago too lol

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang

Because selling 40 million Xboxes means million of subs for your recurring subscription service offering :gucci: .

We aren’t asking steam to stop making steam decks when they only sell a couple million.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I agree, but it was the reality a year ago too lol
You're biased against the company so whatever take you give comes with that. I have them the benefit of the double post COVID but whatever issues they have won't change. They have no leadership qualified to get them through their struggles. Their only solution is to continue to canabalize companies and have their talent bleed out and leave after the acquisition.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You're biased against the company so whatever take you give comes with that. I have them the benefit of the double post COVID but whatever issues they have won't change. They have no leadership qualified to get them through their struggles. Their only solution is to continue to canabalize companies and have their talent bleed out and leave after the acquisition.

I’m bias but i also don’t have a reason to lie about their situation either.

i was a xbox fan with the original and 360 but its clear to see a major downturn since then. Believe it or not I’d rather xbox stay in the console business and stay competitive, not buy major publishers and developers ’competitive’ but enough to where they are actively investing money into indie publishers and studios and doing marketing deals, etc.

Microsoft money is still good money for the gaming business. They have just been going about trying to claim marketshare the wrong way, trying to devalue gaming with subs and buying out competitors is just anti-competitive and im glad it hasn’t worked out for them thus far

a microsoft that builds up their own studios and IP and properly extends its reach in supporting the global market would be more welcome

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Because selling 40 million Xboxes means million of subs for your recurring subscription service offering :gucci: .

We aren’t asking steam to stop making steam decks when they only sell a couple million.
This is capatalism. You grow your business or you shut it down. Last generation is was like almost 60 million. The one before that it was over 80 million. It's shrinking and their hardware is unprofitable so why bother? It's like Nadella wants just reach them where they are.

The same with the subscription service. The output hasn't been there and the subs stalled out. Now you see them jacking up prices and going against their core motto of day 1 games.

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
This is capatalism. You grow your business or you shut it down. Last generation is was like almost 60 million. The one before that it was over 80 million. It's shrinking and their hardware is unprofitable so why bother? It's like Nadella wants just reach them where they are.

The same with the subscription service. The output hasn't been there and the subs stalled out. Now you see them jacking up prices and going against their core motto of day 1 games.
You asked why they should continue to make hardware next gen. I gave you an answer to that question.

:gucci: