Blair Witch Project Is The Most Effective Horror Movie Ever Made

blair witch is a classic

• co-sign, its a classic! :lawd:

Votes: 28 35.4%
  • fukk outta here blair witch was trash :pacspit:

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • once I knew it was fake I was like :shaq2:

Votes: 9 11.4%
  • movie got too much undeserved hate. not a classic, but a very good film :whew:

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • people actually thought it was real? :what: fukkin idiots

Votes: 18 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
"Blair Witch Project" is one of the greatest independent movies of all time. Clearly, there's no way you could deny it. The Marketing was also Genius. But please with "The most effective Horror Movie". Not even close.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
shyt as a younging the TV spots for this movie that use to air on "the box" scared the shyt out of me. Then I saw the movie :what:

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
Everything was a project back then lol
I randomly remember the Nike Alpha Project commercial with Payton

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
People who saw it before all the clones and before the "reveal" probably liked it a lot. The fact that there are so many clones tells you how successful the idea was.

I thought Chronicle was trash, it was all over the place.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Since BWP I've seen many blockbuster movies at the theaters and to this day I have not been a single show that was as packed as that one. People were literally sitting on the floor and standing against the wall. It was a fukking fire hazard.
The atmosphere was crazy. You could hear a pin drop, mufukkas were barely breathing and shyt. Not showing the witch only enhanced the movie IMO, it made you use your imagination. Ol girl running and screaming "WTF IS THAT, OMG WTF IS THAT!?!" that shyt was like :ooh::ohhh:

This is exactly what I meant in my post about "event" movie theme songs. You had to be there to get why it was so good at the time. It's like movies in general. Somebody does something original and after all the ripoffs and sequels, if someone goes back and watches it they won't appreciate it for what it was at the time.

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
name a 'found footage' film blair witch didn't influence...that genre is more popular than ever nowadays and for better or for worse you can thank the blair witch for that. the blair witch wasn't the first 'found footage' film, but it was the best, no doubt, and the one that influenced everything that came after it

place yourself back in '99..if you allow yourself to become involved and put yourself in the shoes of the characters, there is no scarier horror movie imo and thats without the overpowering F/X and music score most movies rely on to 'scare' you, if you still have an imagination left what is implied becomes a hundred times scarier than anything offered up by hollywood in the last 30 years. the viral marketing for this movie was so brilliant people actually believed it was real at the time..(do you remember that?). think about it, for a horror film, there is simply no better way to market yourself than to have people believing this was really a thing that happened. leading up to the theatrical release there were faux documentaries on tv about the blair witch legend. I remember watching those and being intrigued. If you searched for the blair witch online back in '99 you would discover all this planted information to corroborate all the things the people in the docs were saying, so you genuinely weren't sure leading up to the film if this was all bullshyt or not. therein lies the true terror; its not the fact that you would have believed it to be 100% true..its the fact you didn't know for sure. you were being fukked with before the movie even came out. afterwards you couldn't help but think 'am I being bamboozled?' in that sense I can see why the movie is hated as much as it is. people don't like to feel stupid or tricked.

it was something unprecedented..we will probably never see anything like that again in this post-photoshop age of cynicism & skepticism. the movie still holds up brilliantly. a true american classic

:salute:

Has absolutely no replay value

Figaro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 36 Chambers
When i watched this as a young kid :picard:

Those last few minutes had a little nikka shook, b...

But it's aged terrible but can't front on the market genius they did with this :ehh:

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I think more than the movie itself the hype and marketing behind it was what put it over the top. As a kid, I believed it was real because it was presented as such and they went to great lengths to do so. In this day and age you’d never be able to pull that same feat off. With the early infancy of the Internet they used it fully to their advantage. I think I actually fukk with the lore and marketing of the movie more than the movie itself :ehh:

IShotTheSheriff

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I spent a lot of time in Maryland, I think that's where they shot this film right? Those woods would have ya shook at night time.

Man the scene where the kid is just kinda floating/hanging from the ceiling is EMBEDDED into my SOUL.

:merchant:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Watching Blair Witch before the cast showed up on an MTV awards show alive and well :damn:
Watching the Blair Witch knowing the cast was fine and it's all a big fiction :unimpressed:

It was brilliant marketing around a movie that was kinda slow and boring but with some really strong moments. Nowadays you can get the DIY mystery thing from a good youtube channel (Marble Hornets changed the game with that respect) and found footage horror has been done to death. But when it dropped, it was easy to get wrapped up in the hype. I still edge Paranormal Activity (the first one) as a more fun theater experience though; that one had fun scares and mixed in humor during slow portions. I had more fun at the opening night for Paranormal Activity than I've had at a lot of better horror movie screenings tbh.