Blade Runner 2049 (Official Thread)

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Just seen it. Movie was dope:krs: The visuals were amazing.
Luv was ruthless :picard:
Wood Harris :salute:
Villeneuve :wow:

Wood Harris' appearance had me :dwillhuh: Did not expect to see him, and he nailed that character role for as minimal screen time as was given him.

Something about Luv's ruthlessness :shaq: Makes me want my own replicant.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Finally caught this on Friday. In fukking credible. From start to finish. Not a single frame wasted, not a single shot useless, and was a great inverse on the "chosen one" trope. It's a gorgeous movie and a good script but not as tight as it should be since there are a couple scenes where I felt my mind wandering. But this is one of my favorite movies of the year, hands down. Denis continues to be undefeated and the themes in this movie are all relevant and rich and can be picked a part and discussed for decades.

Wish it were doing better at the box office but I completely understand why.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

It’s 3 hour sequel to a flop. Blade runner has a great reputation now in the film community and is seen as one of the greatest of all time but it landed like a rock in 82. And just because a movie grows in esteem in the film community in 30 years doesn’t mean it will translate to the masses. Like tron, which was also a flop when it came out.

So you’re asking a mass audience to pay for the sequel of a flop with an extremely secretive marketing campaign that revels in being esoteric and obtuse? Yeah that’s a tough tough tough sell

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
It’s 3 hour sequel to a flop. Blade runner has a great reputation now in the film community and is seen as one of the greatest of all time but it landed like a rock in 82. And just because a movie grows in esteem in the film community in 30 years doesn’t mean it will translate to the masses. Like tron, which was also a flop when it came out.

So you’re asking a mass audience to pay for the sequel of a flop with an extremely secretive marketing campaign that revels in being esoteric and obtuse? Yeah that’s a tough tough tough sell
:leostare:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Lol what breh? Those are facts. The marketing was awesome for film geeks but for a mainstream audience who barely saw the first movie or barely remembers it? You gotta give them a bit more.

Especially women. There's absolutely zero incentive for the average woman unfamiliar with the original to consider seeing it. I told a few women I went to see it and after the obligatory "how was it" and response along with recomendation, they all say it looks too dark, too depressing, too long, etc.. I was the only Black person in the theater, there was like three women, the rest all nerdy white dudes. Its just not a film for everybody. Long periods of melancholy, dialogue, thinking, etc., just isn't for everybody.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Especially women. There's absolutely zero incentive for the average woman unfamiliar with the original to consider seeing it. I told a few women I went to see it and after the obligatory "how was it" and response along with recomendation, they all say it looks too dark, too depressing, too long, etc.. I was the only Black person in the theater, there was like three women, the rest all nerdy white dudes. Its just not a film for everybody. Long periods of melancholy, dialogue, thinking, etc., just isn't for everybody.

Yeah and it not being for everyone isn't a knock on it at all. It's just reality. It's a great great great movie. Doesn't mean everyone will rock with it

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
just came back from seeing this and had to come in here and :salute:Villeneuve

the set pieces:ahh: the atmosphere:ahh:the score :ahh:Ana de Armas:ahh: the overall experience :ahh:

2049 did a great job in feeling like the OG Blade Runner. I'll say this one didn't feel as philosophical but I've only watched it once while the OG has gotten several replays so that could change. But this was just great. :lawd:

also the 4k is a first day cop and we need an anime of all the events after the blackout leading up to 2049:banderas:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
This movie is definitely better on 2nd viewing. I hope a sequel is greenlighted
Jared Leto's character could be a potential top 10 villain, and theres no closure to him yet
I agree about the second viewing. Weird thing is Wallace isn't even necessarily a villain, he's just insanely ambitious and driven by his desires to explore the universe and wants to do so off the backs of replicants, so I guess it really comes down to whether or not you'd view replicants as human or not in terms of whether he's a villain.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
just came back from seeing this and had to come in here and :salute:Villeneuve

the set pieces:ahh: the atmosphere:ahh:the score :ahh:Ana de Armas:ahh: the overall experience :ahh:

2049 did a great job in feeling like the OG Blade Runner. I'll say this one didn't feel as philosophical but I've only watched it once while the OG has gotten several replays so that could change. But this was just great. :lawd:

also the 4k is a first day cop and we need an anime of all the events after the blackout leading up to 2049:banderas:
You best have it pre-ordered already :Jimmy:

I hope they have all the shorts on the disc.