Black Queen will be State Prosecutor in Freddie Gray case/*UPDATE* Six officers now charged!!

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps
And she has a history of speaking out against police injustices. She also comes from a long line of policemen in her family.

Will be interesting to see how she handles this case...

Meet Marilyn Mosby, the Woman Overseeing the Freddie Gray Investigation
BY ELIZABETH CHUCK
150430-marlyn-mosby-jsw-1106a_2ec318c61a2c22f72537eaf6e1a5dca4.nbcnews-ux-800-600.jpg

CASSIDY JOHNSON / BALTIMORE SUN
Marylin Mosby, Baltimore City State's Attorney.

Questions in Freddie Gray case keep Baltimore on edge

Baltimore's state's attorney probably did not expect to be thrust into the national spotlight during her fourth month on the job. And yet Marilyn Mosby — the youngest top prosecutor of any major city in America — now finds herself playing a key role in a local drama that has gripped the country.

The 35-year-old is tasked with determining whether charges are warranted in the controversial death of Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old black man who died after suffering a spinal cord injury in police custody. Gray's death has inspired protests in Baltimore and nationwide.

On Thursday, the Baltimore police commissioner announced the department had handed confidential information on how Gray died over to Mosby's office. The Justice Department is working on its own independent investigation. Mosby did not return a call from NBC News requesting comment.

Mosby is a Democrat who comes from a long line of police officers — but she has been vocal about holding cops accountable in the past.

"She has a natural affinity for police officers and law enforcement types, and at the same time, she is aware of the incredible number of complaints against the Baltimore City police department," said Richard Woods, a Baltimore-based attorney whose practice is primarily criminal defense work.

Woods has known Mosby for years and supported her in her campaign for state's attorney. "It was important to have somebody who was willing to look at it from both sides, and Marilyn Mosby fit the bill."

Her interest in the justice system stemmed from tragedy: When she was growing up in inner-city Boston, her 17-year-old cousin was mistaken for a drug dealer and killed outside her home by another 17-year-old.

The former insurance company attorney is leading an independent investigation of the officers involved in Gray's death on April 12. She has not said when she might decide if she will pursue charges.

She has spoken out against police officers numerous times. During her campaign for state's attorney, in response to a Baltimore Sun investigation of allegations of police beatings, she said: "Police brutality is completely inexcusable. I'm going to apply justice fairly, even to those who wear a badge."

Mosby is a mother of two daughters who met her future husband while she was studying political science at the historically black Tuskegee University in Alabama. She was the first in her family to graduate from college, was raised by a single mother, and has law enforcement in her blood.

"My grandfather, my uncles, my mother, my father—I have five generations of police officers. I know that the majority of police officers are really hard-working officers who are risking their lives day in and day out, but those really bad ones who go rogue do a disservice to the officers who are risking their lives and taking time away from their families," she told Baltimore Magazine in January, when she started her tenure as state's attorney.

Her surprise win last November is her first stint as an elected official. She bested incumbent Gregg Bernstein by portraying herself as a crime crusader, determined to keep repeat offenders off the streets.

"People who have zero regard for human life do not deserve to live among the residents of the greatest city in the world," she said in a primary victory speech.

Mosby's first stint in the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office came after she graduated from Boston College Law School. She served first as assistant state's attorney and then prosecuted some of the worst felonies in Maryland in the general trial division.

She left to go work as field counsel for Liberty Mutual Insurance for three years. In 2013 and 2014, she was named as one of the Baltimore Sun's 50 Women to Watch.

Her husband, Nick Mosby, is a Baltimore city councilman who has spoken out about the riots that Gray's death has prompted.

"This is bigger than Freddie Gray," he said in an interview with Fox News on Monday night. "This is about the socioeconomics of poor urban America." The rioters were exhibiting "decades-old anger and frustration for a system that's failed them," he added.

When she was sworn in in January, Mosby promised to fix the justice system.

"As a black woman who understands just how much the criminal justice system disproportionately affects communities of color, I will seek justice on your behalf," she said.

It hasn't all been praise for Mosby. She's been criticized for being too inexperienced for the role she was elected to, but Woods, the Baltimore attorney, said her accomplishments far outweigh her young age.

"I think she's a superb person. And when a defense lawyer says that about a prosecutor, you can believe it."

===============================================================================
*UPDATE*
OFFICERS CHARGED!!
(05/01/2015)

"Let me tell you I just sat and watched Marilyn Mosby speak and as she announced everything I shed a tear..someone finally got it right," Twitter user TaviBabi wrote.

Mosby and other leaders called for peaceful protests in the wake of the charges, saying unrest would only cause further harm.

Hundreds of people marched Friday evening near the Baltimore Central Booking and Intake Center, where the six officers were processed.

The large procession continued through downtown, occasionally blocking traffic.

'Grossly negligent'

150501100046-freddie-gray-timeline-map-exlarge-169.jpg

Police officers arrested Gray on April 12. He slipped into a coma after suffering his injuries and died a week later.

According to Mosby's narrative, the incident began when two police officers on bike patrol "made eye contact" with Gray, who then began to run.

Officers caught up to him, he surrendered and was placed on the ground, arms handcuffed behind his back. He said he couldn't breathe and asked for an inhaler, "to no avail," Mosby said.

Although police found a knife in Gray's pants, it was a variety allowed by Maryland law, and police had no reason to detain him, the prosecutors said. Still, they called for a police transport van to take him away.

Once the van arrived, officers loaded Gray, in handcuffs, into the van. They did not put a seat belt on him, Mosby said.

Goodson drove the van and stopped the vehicle four times over the course of the approximately 40-minute ride.

At the first stop, officers took Gray out, put shackles on his ankles and placed him -- still handcuffed -- headfirst and on his stomach in the back.

At the last stop, Goodson picked up another man who was put in the back of the van on the other side of the partition that keeps prisoners separated.

Donta Allen, the second prisoner in the van, told CNN's Don Lemon that a report saying he had told investigators that Gray was trying to hurt himself during the trip was "untrue -- very, very, very untrue."

"I know for a fact that he (Gray) did not hurt himself," Allen said. Reciting a litany of Gray's injuries, Allen added, "you cannot do that (to yourself) in the (van). You can probably hit your head and have a little headache, but you can't hurt yourself to the point you're going to be dead."

Freddie Gray 'did not hurt himself' insists fellow passenger in police van
Mosby said Goodson and other officers who saw Gray's condition failed to get him medical help, despite his requests, until arrival at the Western District Police Station.
By then, Mosby said, he was no longer breathing.

Mosby called the officer's actions "grossly negligent."

Gray was rushed to a University of Maryland medical facility where he underwent surgery. He died a week later.

Mosby, who has a rich family history in law enforcement, said it was important not to paint the entire police department as villains.

"I can tell you that the actions of these officers will not and should not in any way damage the important working relationships between police and prosecutors as we continue to fight together to reduce crime in Baltimore."

And she called on protesters to remain peaceful in the wake of the announcement.

"This is a moment. This is your moment," she said, addressing the city's youth. "Let's ensure that we have peaceful and productive rallies that will develop structural and systemic changes for generations to come.

"To the people of Baltimore and demonstrators across America, I heard your call for, 'No justice, no peace'," she said. "Your peace is sincerely needed as I work to deliver justice on behalf of this young man."

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Fight or die fighting, no surrender.
Daps

Wow. I had no idea. That's BIG for a Black woman in this country. :salute:

Mosby Defeats Bernstein In Close Race For Baltimore City State’s Attorney
June 24, 2014 11:35 PM

BALTIMORE (WJZ)–Former prosecutor Marilyn Mosby has won the election for Baltimore State’s Attorney, defeating incumbent Gregg Bernstein.

Meghan McCorkell has the latest on the very close race.

Bernstein told supporters he was hoping to give a very different speech Tuesday night.

He talked a lot about the accomplishments his office had made, but says it appears the voters have spoken.

Mosby is a voice for change.

“I think that the priorities of the state’s attorney’s office are off and they’ve set a tone where there is already a culture of distrust. People are distrustful of the criminal justice system,” said Mosby.