Black Panther Movie ::: Unpopular Opinions

AnotherRoute

Just another post by
Daps
Reppin
BR..O..OK...LYN
My opinion is its just a movie based on a comic book and alot of people will be disappointed if they read the comics

Also the fact that Killmonger was not raised out in Harlem bothered the shytbout of me that was my only complaint

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was watching the after credit ending and they showed the White Wolf character. I looked into his background and now I'm smfh.

You mean to tell Me these Wakandans, accepted, adopted and Raised an outsider cac. But abandoned a child Killmonger in America because he was lost? :mindblown:

Miss one of the most important scenes in the movie where T'Challa states that he's not responsible what previous kings did but is trying to grow as a civilization.

Dude tried to save Kilmonger AFTER he killed his other father figure, tried to kill him, and incited Civil War.

OaklandCertified

Town Business
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Miss one of the most important scenes in the movie where T'Challa states that he's not responsible what previous kings did but is trying to grow as a civilization.

Dude tried to save Kilmonger AFTER he killed his other father figure, tried to kill him, and incited Civil War.

I never said T'Challa was responsible. I said the same person (T'Chaka) who abandoned his own flesh and blood (Killmonger) and called him lost. Adopted an outsider Cac.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I never said T'Challa was responsible. I said the same person (T'Chaka) who abandoned his own flesh and blood (Killmonger) and called him lost. Adopted an outsider Cac.

Are you talking about the movies or the comics? White Wolf, in the comics, isn't the same as in the MCU.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Disappointed they pulled the punch @ the end when they quoted the Pope speech but said "..Build barriers instead of walls"

Nah, I'm glad they did that because making it too overt would have just destroyed the message, just make it a partisan political statement.

What? Why?

Kilmonger is supposed to be the antithesis to T'Challa. Both geniuses, both ungodly talented, and both driven for their causes but Kilmonger didn't grow up in a safe bubble.

He wasn't trying to exploit good natured Africans, he was necessary to make T'Challa understand how similar they are. Black Panther JUST came back from a revenge quest when he was about to kill Bucky. He could have EASILY been Kilmonger without his dad's guidance or if he grew up in Oakland.

Yeah, you nailed it. Killmonger isn't even really a "villain" in the normal sense, he's more of an antagonist. His ultimate goals have depth to them and are rational in a sense, just misguided.

nice guys don't win wars

Nobody wins wars.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
he wanted to destroy the system of white supremacy and establish a system of black supremacy. However, we are supposed to look at him as an extremist lunatic and at the end T'challa wins and gives a Martin Luther king esque love to the world bullshyt speak while we still have the foot of white supremacy on our neck. the white man won't even let us win in a fictional universe.

:why:

He wasn't no extremist lunatic. He was a brilliant, passionate, driven person who cared about his people and injustice and had rational, thought-out reasons for doing the shyt he did. Look at how many people are identifying with him - they obviously made him a broader fleshed-out character than you implying.

The issue was that his plan was the exact same plan that we seen before - England's plan, Germany's plan, America's plan, etc. - and it leads to death and destruction for everyone. You making it out like you WANT his kind of Black supremacy. Ask yourself this - do you like how White Supremacists act? Like how they think? Like the kind of people they are? Do you think that White Supremacy is even good for White Supremacists, or does it just make them into rotten, ugly, caricatures of humanity?

T'Challa is demonstrating Wakandan supremacy, but it's a kind of supremacy that heals, rather than destroys, and allows his people to both keep their humanity in the process and spread it to others. T'Challa's supremacy isn't any less powerful than Killmonger's - the Wadandans are still the supreme civilization in the end, but they gonna spread it in a way that brings goodness to the people rather than war.

Think about this. You that boy on the Oakland courts in that ending sequence. You have a choice behind two doors.

Door #1: You get education, cultural, technology centers in your community run by incredible Black people. You get fly technology like nothing you've ever seen. You are engaged with people who really care deeply about your well-being and are looking to your uplift. You see an African nation rise up as the pinnacle of excellence and the envy of the world, a nation that shows the entire world how to really do things, one that can dramatically counter the economic, educational, and social domination of White Supremacy without becoming just like it.

Door #2: You get war. You get amazing weapons with which to fight that war, but at the same time you have 3/4 of the global population opposing you (including all those Avengers and the entire American military machine). Your neighborhood will burn to the ground, your friends and family will die. You may win the war at the end, maybe you'll have power, but you'll be ruling over a burned and broken world and every other "winner" ruling alongside you gonna be fukked up as hell.

Which door you really want?

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
Loved the movie. Gonna see it again tmw. BUT my only gripes were technical and not story based.

1. The fight choreography wasn’t the best we’ve seen in a marvel movie (see winter soldier.) would’ve been cool to see some unhand to hand martial arts between BP and Killmonger instead of just brawling/trading blows.

2. Some of the CGI wasnt that great and kinda took me out of the moment (BP vs Killmonger underground).

3. I don’t think Ryan chose the best cinematographer for this type of movie. It’s cool he stayed loyal to his people (the white chick did Fruitvale, DOPE, and Mudbound) I wish he could have used the same guy the Russo’s used for winter soldier and civil war.

These things don’t keep it from being a GOAT Marvel film, but they may effect the way it ages over time. :manny:

Shaky cam takes this from a 10 to a 9 at best. I can't believe we ain't get clear shots from the challenge.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Great movie. They had a lot of lowkey real shyt that I'm surprised got past the cac execs.
Secondary characters more developed and nuanced then any movie I've seen in recent memory.
Disappointed they pulled the punch @ the end when they quoted the Pope speech but said "..Build barriers instead of walls"

Not sure if it was mentioned in here already, but that line was not from quoting the pope speech. It was directly quoting an old African proverb that Coogler's wife found for him.