Black Panther is not a symbol of pro-blackness

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Your hypothetical's ludicrous af.

Outside of costumes and SFX, does this really look like oscar material bruh?

-Two Academy Award winners (Whitaker, Nyong'o)

-Two Academy Award nominees (Bassett, Kaluuya)

-Acclaimed Lead Actor (Boseman)

-Acclaimed Director (Coogler)

-High Production Value and Budget

-Strong Marketing Campaign

-Overwhelming Critical Acclaim
Yeah...this film being Oscar-worthy is a ridiculous concept. :russell:

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
-Two Academy Award winners (Whitaker, Nyong'o)

-Two Academy Award nominees (Bassett, Kaluuya)

-Acclaimed Lead Actor (Boseman)

-Acclaimed Director (Coogler)

-High Production Value and Budget

-Strong Marketing Campaign

-Overwhelming Critical Acclaim
Yeah...this film being Oscar-worthy is a ridiculous concept. :russell:

You named all CAC acceptance awards.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The only reason OP chose to state/clarify this is because a lot of nikkas are running around claiming that BP is "black progress", "black excellence", "pro black" when it's not even black owned. They're the ones saying it's some sort of pinnacle of pro blackness. How can something be pro black if black ppl don't own it? He's not saying don't go see it, he's just disagreeing with them.

One nikka in here even said, "pro blackness isn't about ownership" and got daps. nikkas are clueless, no wonder black americans are behind every other group in america.

I believe a few bros on The Coli understand that and are building, but i'm gonna be honest, most black men my age, including all the ones hyped about BP, aren't building anything. They just care about working for white people until they're 65, nikka trinkets and turning up. :yeshrug:And this leads back to my point about us overall not understanding or caring about ownership. This should be one place where we can discuss this without nikkas trying to change the subject but :aicmon:

It's not only Black Americans breh.

I see way more non-Black Americans dikkriding this movie than Black Americans.

GhettoTeK

All Star
Daps
Reppin
bEast Coast
Idc I'm still going to enjoy the movie. It's always nikkas like you that down everything. But dish out your money to CACs too..stfu and get out this thread bytch :camby:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Idolize CAC creations breh. :mjlol:

You wear Jordans? :mjpls:
Smoke weed? :mjpls:
Drink liquor? :mjpls:
Listen to any mainstream hip hop? :mjpls:
Watch major league sports? :mjpls:
Buy sports merchandise? :mjpls:
Eat at chain restaurants? :mjpls:
Buy American cars? :mjpls:
Buy Nike, Adidas, Puma, Reebok, or Timberland products? :mjpls:

You idolize plenty of things created by cacs...I'm just willing to acknowledge it :mjpls::mjpls::mjpls:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
It still isn’t and I could break the movie down bit by bit :yeshrug:

You can say this forever, because you never defined what "pro-blackness" actually is.

You noted that ownership is part of it, but you have yet to acknowledge notable parts of black arts and culture that aren't necessarily "owned" wholly by black people. (Who owns the rights to Public Enemy,

Your OP is also incorrect in saying "not a black hand was involved in its creation" when not only the cast, director, costume designer and production designer are black--but one of the executive producers of this film and Civil War is black (Nate Moore).

Basically, as long as there are non-Black people involved in making this movie, you allow yourself to keep moving the goalposts.

The ownership of the Black Panther character and universe is inconsequential to its cultural importance to Black people, and it's strange that you're trying to argue that films like these both benefit and provide opportunities for Black people.