Black Panther- breaking record Watch Thread

doublex

Pro
Daps
'Black Panther': All The Box Office Records It Broke (And Almost Broke) In Its $235M Debut

Biggest February opening weekend:

Biggest non-sequel opening weekend:

Biggest solo superhero launch of all time:

Biggest Fri-Sun opening weekend for a long holiday debut:

Biggest long holiday opening weekend:

Biggest opening weekend ever for any movie not directed by a white guy:

Biggest-grossing movie (in North America) directed by a black filmmaker:

Biggest pre-summer opening weekend:

2nd-Biggest comic book superhero opening weekend:

2nd-biggest Sunday gross:

3rd-biggest four-day gross:

3rd-biggest non-summer opening weekend:

4th-biggest Saturday gross:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Dude be honest. Black moviegoers carried this film. The demographic breakdown shows that we saw it more than any other race, and that black viewing was double what it usually is for comic book films.

black people who haven't been to the movies in years showed up

I've never seen a movie on opening day or even twice in theaters I did this time

this colonizing cac @Return of the Jedi needs to stfu

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I thought it came out in China on the 13th?

he opening gave “Black Panther,” starring Chadwick Boseman as the king of a mythical African nation, a worldwide total of $361 million through Sunday. South Korea led the way with $25.3 million, representing the fifth biggest launch of a Western title in that market — ahead of ahead of “Dr. Strange” and “Thor: Ragnarok” and already topping the entire runs of “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Ant-Man.”

In the U.K./Ireland, “Black Panther” took in $24.8 million and is the second-highest opening for a Marvel title, behind only “Avengers: Age of Ultron.” It has already overtaken the entire run of “Justice League,” “Captain America,” “Thor” and “Iron Man” and broke the record for highest grossing February opening weekend of all time.

Mexico was the third-largest market with $9.6 million, followed by Brazil with $9.4 million, Australia with $9.2 million, France with $7.7 million, Indonesia with $6.5 million and Germany with $6.2 million.

The Netherlands posted the highest grossing day ever for a superhero film and the highest grossing February opening weekend ever. “Black Panther” opened in first in nearly all markets, except for Austria, Germany, Italy, Poland, Bosnia, Hungary, Serbia and Slovenia.

In Africa, “Black Panther “set records with the biggest opening weekend of all time in both East Africa and West Africa. In South Africa, it was the highest grossing Saturday ever in industry history.

The “Black Panther” opening weekend has already exceeded the entire run of “Guardians of the Galaxy” in Hong Kong, India, Korea, Malaysia, The Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand. It posted the highest grossing February opening of all-time in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador, Panama and Paraguay.

“Black Panther” will open in Russia on Feb 22, Japan on March 1 and China on March 9.

“Black Panther” is the second biggest international opening of 2018. Universal’s international opening of “Fifty Shades Freed” took in $98.1 million in 57 markets last weekend, which had been the best international launch of the year but Raman Hui’s family-friendly adventure, “Monster Hunt 2” earned a stunning $190 million to top the China box office over the first three days of the Chinese New Year holidays.

“Detective Chinatown 2” also earned $154 million in three days, and took the crown from “Monster Hunt” on Sunday. Data from Ent Group showed fantasy “The Monkey King 3: Kingdom of Women” earning $79.9 million, and actioner “Operation Red Sea” scoring $70.3 million. Chinese-made animation title “Boonie Bears” earned a cool $40.9 million in fifth place.

Together the top five films scored a record-breaking $543 million — more than double the score achieved in the equivalent Chinese New Year weekend in either of the last two years.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There’s literally ZERO competition until March when Wrinkle In Time and Pacific Rim drop.

The question is. Will Disney give Wrinkle a similar push like they gave BP (doubtful. BP has MCU stamp of approval AND the lead up to Infinty War in its favor) and will Pacific Rim capitalize off of the sleeper success of the original (doubtful as Guillmero Del Toro and the Geek cred he brings will be sorely missed)

So BP could have legs leading into the end of the April AND then if Disney/Marvel decide to give it another Push the week or two before Infinity War drops, we could POTENTIALLY be looking at a Billie:banderas:

potentially? dont start the doubt now brotha...billy gonna be light work, i'm calling it now...all it's gonna have to do is get $500 million overseas, which it will do....yea, i know the rest of the world doesnt view us in the best light, but they not gonna want to miss out getting in on this event...just watch...wait till those numbers come back from china, muthafukkas gonna be shocked....

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:salute:@lutha you said it would exceed 153m i thought:whoa:glad to see i was wrong. Hope its not front loaded movie like the DCEU do, where opening week does good business but once word gets out and ppl have seen it they like we good :hubie:

:salute:it's all good brotha....and dont worry, this will have legs..people are seeing it multiple times (already seen it twice, will be going another couple times this week), and the people that havent seen it yet are going to want to get in on this event....

anyway, lets celebrate this success by going to see it again and doing the shoulder dance they do at the crowning ceremony at the waterfall....aight, you dont have to join me in doing that dance, but i was doing that shyt a lil the second time i saw the movie...next time, i'm doing that shyt the whole time they do it lol....

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
Dude be honest. Black moviegoers carried this film. The demographic breakdown shows that we saw it more than any other race, and that black viewing was double what it usually is for comic book films.
Oh for sure. And it’s a huge accomplishment. Hopefully it makes for a more diverse Hollywood in the future. I just wouldn’t throw out the blanket statement that white people want this movie to fail. I want to see the genre flourish across the board. I bought the Black Panther DLC for MvC even though the game was dead in the water.