Black Monday TV Series - Showtime (Don Cheadle & Regina Hall/80's Wall Street Comedy/Jan. 20th)

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Gonna peep the finale later tonight. Parts of the show I enjoy, while others leave me :ld:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
That finale :wow:

Bring on season 2:blessed:

Its kind of funny that after all the scams, and double crossings, and "Trading Places"-style stock schemes, it turned out that
Jammer's plan was simply to show up and just pull a gun to stick everybody up for his share of the company.

And they kind of hinted that he was more a violent criminal than a business mastermind when Mo/Roland got out of jail and they guard said "he's not in for stock fraud, he's in for murdering his business partner."

They were ALL smarter than him.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
That was a pretty entertaining finale :ehh:

Moved at a good place with a lot of twists and reveals :ohhh:

The role reversal by the end of the episode :ohhh:

I'm not gonna pretend I understood all the financial details, just that everyone else got fukked with Blair/Dawn got rich correct? :lolbron:

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
This show dead ass threw me for a loop. I was getting pissed for a second with that bedwench shyt but I like how shyt turned out. Didn't seeing none of that shyt coming at all :mjlol:

Also Regina Hall is too beautiful :ohhh: gawd damn! I got to watch this show again from the beginning.

That was a pretty entertaining finale :ehh:

Moved at a good place with a lot of twists and reveals :ohhh:

The role reversal by the end of the episode :ohhh:

I'm not gonna pretend I understood all the financial details, just that everyone else got fukked with Blair/Dawn got rich correct? :lolbron:
I wonder if someone who knows about the stock market could break down the way Blair's algorithm was used or the purpose of that as far as the benefits to Blair and Dawn in the shows universe with the Georgina play. At the same time maybe I'm thinking too deep and maybe it's all bullshyt that's super fictitious for the show and is not based on real finance or our financial system.

shyt went over my head though, I got to get to googling lol.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
This show dead ass threw me for a loop. I was getting pissed for a second with that bedwench shyt but I like how shyt turned out. Didn't seeing none of that shyt coming at all :mjlol:

Also Regina Hall is too beautiful :ohhh: gawd damn! I got to watch this show again from the beginning.

I wonder if someone who knows about the stock market could break down the way Blair's algorithm was used or the purpose of that as far as the benefits to Blair and Dawn in the shows universe with the Georgina play. At the same time maybe I'm thinking too deep and maybe it's all bullshyt that's super fictitious for the show and is not based on real finance or our financial system.

shyt went over my head though, I got to get to googling lol.

I'm not sure I fully got everything, but here's my interpretation

We saw in the pilot that the algorithm was broken, and it would work for a little while but by the end of the day anyone that used it would lose all their money.

Blair never could get it to work, but Blair and Dawn were amoral/greedy enough to give it to the Lehman Brothers in exchange for the shares in the Jammer company that the Lehman's bought from the Yakuza. That gave Blair and Dawn together more than 51% of Jammer, so the could fire Mo.

But that wasn't enough for them ("Why make 100 million when you can make 200 million?").
They knew the algorithm was still broken and that anyone that used it would crash. Mo pointed out that Computer's don't make trades, men do, and when men see Lehman crashing nobody would know why and the whole market would panic. And cause a huge stock market crash.

Blair was like :manny:
"we shorted the market, it will just be a minor correction, we'll double our money and everything will get back to normal after a while."

Based on the wire recordings, the government came in to arrest the heads of the Jammer group. Mo took his bag of cash and the Honda and threw away his watch and "Mo" identity to escape as Roland.

Dawn got away (for now) because when the agents showed up they thought she was a secretary.

But Blair was there sitting in the chair looking like Gordon Gekko, so he's probably the only one left for them to arrest.

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
I started binging when I came across the marathon this weekend.

Funny show, was meaning to watch and forgo t it was coming on.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
I'm not sure I fully got everything, but here's my interpretation

We saw in the pilot that the algorithm was broken, and it would work for a little while but by the end of the day anyone that used it would lose all their money.

Blair never could get it to work, but Blair and Dawn were amoral/greedy enough to give it to the Lehman Brothers in exchange for the shares in the Jammer company that the Lehman's bought from the Yakuza. That gave Blair and Dawn together more than 51% of Jammer, so the could fire Mo.

But that wasn't enough for them ("Why make 100 million when you can make 200 million?").
They knew the algorithm was still broken and that anyone that used it would crash. Mo pointed out that Computer's don't make trades, men do, and when men see Lehman crashing nobody would know why and the whole market would panic. And cause a huge stock market crash.

Blair was like :manny:
"we shorted the market, it will just be a minor correction, we'll double our money and everything will get back to normal after a while."

Based on the wire recordings, the government came in to arrest the heads of the Jammer group. Mo took his bag of cash and the Honda and threw away his watch and "Mo" identity to escape as Roland.

Dawn got away (for now) because when the agents showed up they thought she was a secretary.

But Blair was there sitting in the chair looking like Gordon Gekko, so he's probably the only one left for them to arrest.

But wait, he gave it to the Lehman brothers?

Thought he gave it to the guy who he had a bet with in episode 2. The weird dude with the mustache who works on the trading floor and exposed Keith for being gay in a conversation with Blair.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
But wait, he gave it to the Lehman brothers?

Thought he gave it to the guy who he had a bet with in episode 2. The weird dude with the mustache who works on the trading floor and exposed Keith for being gay in a conversation with Blair.
Yes, he took the algorithm and rebranded it under the name "Portfolio Insurance", but it was the same program with the same flaw.

That's what he traded to Lehman Brothers for the Yakuza shares.

Edit:
I just did a Google search on "Portfolio Insurance" looking for information on the TV show. I never heard that term before last night, but...

Here’s one key factor that amplified the 1987 stock-market crash

Last edited:

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Yes, he took the algorithm and rebranded it under the name "Portfolio Insurance", but it was the same program with the same flaw.

That's what he traded to Lehman Brothers for the Yakuza shares.

Edit:
I just did a Google search on "Portfolio Insurance" looking for information on the TV show. I never heard that term before last night, but...

Here’s one key factor that amplified the 1987 stock-market crash
Oh wow I got to rewatch this shyt. I didn't even peep that he gave them the algorithm or that he called it portfolio insurance lmao.

Also thanks for sharing that link too breh. I didn't know that about the stock market crash but it's funny and creative how that was incorporated into the shows plot.