Black/Minority Women Goin' Against White Feminists On Twitter :lupe:

Deetee

Notorious Lurker
Daps
Reppin
T.Dot
Haven't posted shyt on this site in days because i've been reading this thread when i'm free :snoop:

The way it went from positive to negative so quick :mindblown:

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
White men control it. They are the ones "maintaining the power"

Holding the power is not the same as maintaining it. Maintaining implies that black men are actively oppressing women. As for your nba example black men do hold a lot of the power, ask Lebron.

Power is complex. It doesn't have a single seat. And I'm sorry, but white men don't control Black institutions in Black communities. At that point you don't want to accept Black responsibility for anything.

Of course Lebron has some power, just like some women rise up to a position where they have some power, but most players don't have Lebron's power, and most women similarly don't have the power of the few who make it to the higher levels.

In all of those instances the majority could make a change if they banded together and made it happen. One problem is the minority has purposely put up and maintained barriers to prevent an uprising. You can't say the same holds true for black men in the church/politics.

That's not necessarily true, but assuming it was, that still doesn't mean they have more power than the people at the top or more responsibility for their situation. By that standard, Black communities are more responsible for their own social problems than white supremacy, since the cops and white authority figures are outnumbered by the Black residents. I don't accept those conservative standards because they assume that numbers = power, and that the power of numbers outweighs the raw power of money and institutional authority, which is not really the case worldwide in any similar situation. And you can certainly say that Black men in the Church, in Politics, and elsewhere sometimes actively prevent women from achieving equality. In fact, I posted an article about the church some posts ago that specifically talked about how Black church leaders ensnare and suppress women within that social sphere.

You're starting to contradict yourself here as well. First, you say that white men control all power in Black communities and maintain all social control, then on the other hand, you say that women have all the power they need to rise up.

I'm not reaching for anything. Behavior is behavior. If behavior warrants differing treatment then that should hold true accross the board, not just when it supports your position.

Behavior is behavior? :what: I'm sorry, but this is a poor argument. You've generalized to the point that you aren't saying anything at all. Anything can be defined as "behavior," and anything can be defined as "differing treatment." I live in the real world, where we classify behaviors and deal with them according to the category in which they belong and how they affect individuals and society.

So when black women accept better loans, education, and less stringent sentancing are they maintaing their power over black men?

They would be, if that privilege were granted under equal circumstances. The loan argument is one in which I'd agree with you. If Black women accept those loans without protesting for their Black male counterparts, then there is a problem. The other examples are invalid. Black women don't "accept" education- they just achieve, whereas Black men don't to the same extent, for a variety of reasons which have nothing to do with women's power (Black women aren't the ones locking up Black men, profiling them, killing them, etc.) Achieving education is not a privilege- it's something that those Black women earn, since they come from the same demographics as the Black men and attend the same schools. Sentences are also not "accepted"- you get what the judge gives you. This is very different from a male candidate accepting employment over a more qualified female candidate, or accepting higher pay than an otherwise equal female co-worker, or accepting the sexist double standard that valorizes men for sleeping around but demonizes women for it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/elementary-school-bias-boys_n_2404898.html

http://newsone.com/2672818/black-women-have-better-chances-of-getting-loans-study-says/

http://newsone.com/709305/generation-y-black-women-outearning-black-men/

And black men don't have any institutional power over black women's salaries, yet you keep insisting that the pay disparity is a privilege being maintained by black men. You are being very hypocritical here.

Link 1: This is because most elementary school teachers- the authority figures in the classroom context- are female. That is a situation in which there is clearly bias against male students. Of course, by your strange logic, that doesn't matter, since the male students can just rise up, since they outnumber the teachers, so it's really their fault for not using their power.

Link 2: I already addressed this in my arguments to DaChampIsHere. Please see my response to him posting that same study.

Link 3: I already acknowledged this as well. Just because one, specific demographic of Black women (young, single, childless) is outearning men in a few cities, doesn't mean national problems aren't still national problems. That may change in the future, but right now, that is not reflective of the male-female dynamic in Black communities as a whole. I'm not sure why you point out this stuff as if it disproves what I'm saying. My argument is the only one here with nuance. You and the others are looking at this from a black and white, completely one-sided perspective.

As for the salary question- again, I already addressed that. In most Black-owned institutions, Black men do indeed have institutional power over the salaries of their female employees.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Power is complex. It doesn't have a single seat. And I'm sorry, but white men don't control Black institutions in Black communities. At that point you don't want to accept Black responsibility for anything.

Of course Lebron has some power, just like some women rise up to a position where they have some power, but most players don't have Lebron's power, and most women similarly don't have the power of the few who make it to the higher levels.

That's not necessarily true, but assuming it was, that still doesn't mean they have more power than the people at the top or more responsibility for their situation. By that standard, Black communities are more responsible for their own social problems than white supremacy, since the cops and white authority figures are outnumbered by the Black residents. I don't accept those conservative standards because they assume that numbers = power, and that the power of numbers outweighs the raw power of money and institutional authority, which is not really the case worldwide in any similar situation. And you can certainly say that Black men in the Church, in Politics, and elsewhere sometimes actively prevent women from achieving equality. In fact, I posted an article about the church some posts ago that specifically talked about how Black church leaders ensnare and suppress women within that social sphere.

You're starting to contradict yourself here as well. First, you say that white men control all power in Black communities and maintain all social control, then on the other hand, you say that women have all the power they need to rise up.

Behavior is behavior? :what: I'm sorry, but this is a poor argument. You've generalized to the point that you aren't saying anything at all. Anything can be defined as "behavior," and anything can be defined as "differing treatment." I live in the real world, where we classify behaviors and deal with them according to the category in which they belong and how they affect individuals and society.

They would be, if that privilege were granted under equal circumstances. The loan argument is one in which I'd agree with you. If Black women accept those loans without protesting for their Black male counterparts, then there is a problem. The other examples are invalid. Black women don't "accept" education- they just achieve, whereas Black men don't to the same extent, for a variety of reasons which have nothing to do with women's power (Black women aren't the ones locking up Black men, profiling them, killing them, etc.) Achieving education is not a privilege- it's something that those Black women earn, since they come from the same demographics as the Black men and attend the same schools. Sentences are also not "accepted"- you get what the judge gives you. This is very different from a male candidate accepting employment over a more qualified female candidate, or accepting higher pay than an otherwise equal female co-worker, or accepting the sexist double standard that valorizes men for sleeping around but demonizes women for it.

Link 1: This is because most elementary school teachers- the authority figures in the classroom context- are female. That is a situation in which there is clearly bias against male students. Of course, by your strange logic, that doesn't matter, since the male students can just rise up, since they outnumber the teachers, so it's really their fault for not using their power.

Link 2: I already addressed this in my arguments to DaChampIsHere. Please see my response to him posting that same study.

Link 3: I already acknowledged this as well. Just because one, specific demographic of Black women (young, single, childless) is outearning men in a few cities, doesn't mean national problems aren't still national problems. That may change in the future, but right now, that is not reflective of the male-female dynamic in Black communities as a whole. I'm not sure why you point out this stuff as if it disproves what I'm saying. My argument is the only one here with nuance. You and the others are looking at this from a black and white, completely one-sided perspective.

As for the salary question- again, I already addressed that. In most Black-owned institutions, Black men do indeed have institutional power over the salaries of their female employees.

Ok I'm done you're right. It's ok to judge men due to behavioral tendencies, but it's wrong when you do that to women. And black men are oppressing black women through sexism. But when sexism results in privilege for black women there's a bunch of caveats in the way that make it so they aren't oppressing black men.

Glad we got that cleared up:rudy:

Last edited:

The Real

Anti-Ignorance
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Ok I'm done you're right. It's ok to judge men due to behavioral tendencies, but it's wrong when you do that to women. And black men are oppressing black women through sexism. But when sexism results in privilege for black women there's a bunch of caveats in the way that make it so they aren't oppressing black men.

Glad we got that cleared up:rudy:

:what:

I never said that it's ok to only judge men due to behavioral tendencies. I said it's ok to judge some behavioral tendencies different than others, regardless of who does them. Men OR women taking pregnancy/childbirth leave is not the same thing as men OR women committing violent crime or having guns and being profiled for it. That's how the real world works.

As for the rest of that simplistic rhetoric, it's almost as if you haven't read anything I posted. You obviously didn't read any of the research, at least. Yes, Black men contribute to sexism against Black women. And yes, there are sectors of society in which Black women have advantages over Black men, and even contribute to their disadvantages. The difference is that overall, Black women hold much less social power for the moment in most Black institutions, so the advantages they do have don't add up to a comprehensive array of privileges the way Black men's do.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Nice.

When I was into feminism at one point I always got pissed off and annoyed by how much shyt I'd come across that assumed that all islamic women are only wearing a hijab because they are oppressed and tried convincing them of this. Feminism loves telling others to "embrace themselves" while also attempting to convince women to disown their culture all in the same sentence.

White feminism is the biggest load of bull.
word.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
zEwpLZE.jpg

^ I think this pic was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. When I saw this shyt I was so flabbergasted...

White feminism is a distraction for black women.

I'm still mad that some black women had to essentially kill the momentum of this tag and start the "blackpowerisforblackmen" bullshyt.

Daps
Reppin
Catch me in the safari zone
zEwpLZE.jpg

^ I think this pic was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. When I saw this shyt I was so flabbergasted...

White feminism is a distraction for black women.

I'm still mad that some black women had to essentially kill the momentum of this tag and start the "blackpowerisforblackmen" bullshyt.
That hairy coochie :takedat: