Black male children ages 5-12 are committing suicide at rates higher than any other racial group

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside

Suicide Is Growing Health Crisis For African American Youth

Suicide, long thought of something that affected other racial and ethnic groups, is fast becoming an epidemic in black communities, particularly among school-age children.

A recent study in the Journal of Community Health showed that suicide rates among black girls ages 13-19 nearly doubled from 2001 to 2017. For black boys in the same age group, over the same period, rates rose 60 percent.

Additionally, for children ages 5 to 12, black males are committing suicide at higher rates than any other racial or ethnic group, said Dr. Michael Lindsey, the executive director of New York University’s McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research.

Suicide is growing health crisis for African American youth
“I couldn’t suppress these thoughts anymore.”
191008-african-american-man-depressed-se-717p_2b644d3deb2d30b478357907c7c15ae9.fit-760w.jpg

A recent study in the Journal of Community Health showed that suicide rates among black girls ages 13-19 nearly doubled from 2001 to 2017. For black boys in the same age group, over the same period, rates rose 60 percent

She started having suicidal thoughts at 11 or 12. She didn’t know the words to name it. She had no idea what it was, but she consistently had these urges to end her life.

“I just wanted to be dead,” she says.

One night when she was 24, and already long diagnosed with clinical depression, she succumbed to the feelings.

“I couldn’t suppress these thoughts anymore,” she recalls. “I had thought about ending my life for eight straight months.

“I texted a friend and said, ‘It would be better if I wasn’t here.’ That friend did not know that I had already taken substances in the hope that I would go to sleep and not wake up. And while I was waiting to die, the police showed up.”

191007-t-kea-blackman-inline-se-723p_1af5d102111682e379a5be86c92f98d1.fit-760w.jpg

T-Kea Blackman, now 29, survived that attempt and dedicated her life to helping others navigate the darkness of depression and mental health crises.

Suicide, long thought of something that affected other racial and ethnic groups, is fast becoming an epidemic in black communities, particularly among school-age children.

A recent study in the Journal of Community Health showed that suicide rates among black girls ages 13-19 nearly doubled from 2001 to 2017. For black boys in the same age group, over the same period, rates rose 60 percent.

Additionally, for children ages 5 to 12, black males are committing suicide at higher rates than any other racial or ethnic group, said Dr. Michael Lindsey, the executive director of New York University’s McSilver Institute for Poverty Policy and Research.

“If suicide was a black phenomenon and all of a sudden there was an uptick in white kids committing suicide, there would be a national outcry,” Lindsey said on a panel, “Mental Health: A Hidden Crisis in Schools?” at this year’s Education Writers Association national conference.

It’s not just data points that are sounding an alarm.

Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-N.J., a member of the Congressional Black Caucus, began seeing more and more personal stories of youth suicide in her Facebook and Twitter feeds.

“I said to my staff, ‘We gotta do something about this’,” Watson Coleman said. “I don’t know to what extent we have control over anything, but the least we should be doing is raising the concern so that this issue could be addressed.”

Watson Coleman approached CBC Chairwoman Rep. Karen Bass, D-Calif., and together they created the Emergency Taskforce on Black Youth Suicide and Mental Health.

Launched at the end of April, the task force has 15 representatives, including Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga., and freshmen Reps. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn. and Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass.. There is also a working group, led by Lindsey, that includes clinicians, clergy, researchers and social justice practitioners. Also enlisted was actress Taraji P. Henson, a mental health advocate, who on numerous occasions has shared her own struggles with mental health.

191007-bonnie-watson-coleman-inline-se-720p_489688a4b8d65d76145dd1cbf7d29285.fit-760w.jpg

Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman.Office of Congresswoman Bonnie Watson Coleman
“The more we get into this,” Watson Coleman said, “the more frightening the situation becomes to me, the more we recognize that suicide in general is a problem across communities, but it has a particular impact in the black and LGBTQ communities.”

The task force and working group are scheduled to present their findings in December. But Coleman says that so far, all the evidence for the spike in suicides points to multiple factors.

“The lack of access to mental health care,” she says. “Teachers who don’t know what to look for, or communities that don’t have the tools to deal with the issue.”

“Bullying has been identified,” she said, “and discrimination and harassment of the LGBTQ community have been raised as having an impact on how our young people process their life experiences.”

None of this comes as a surprise to Blackman, whose company, Fireflies Unite, addresses mental health issues that she notes are born out of childhood trauma. Her book, “Saved & Depressed: A Suicide Survivor’s Journey of Mental Health, Healing and Faith,” documents her struggle.

Suicide is fast becoming an epidemic in black communities.

Growing up I didn't really know the hatred that the world has for Black men. With social media and the increase of technology I strongly believe it is a contributing factor. You're constantly bombarded with negative images of Black men and are constantly seeing Black men being consistently trashed on a regular basis.

smokeurobinson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
“the more frightening the situation becomes to me, the more we recognize that suicide in general is a problem across communities, but it has a particular impact in the black and LGBTQ communities.

And there it is..Right on que. They really just threw that curve ball out at the end there.

98Ntu

Peace ✌🏿
Daps
You don’t hear about this too much tho :francis:
I’ve dealt with suicidal thoughts almost my whole life. It sucks. Racism and the awareness of my presence as an underclass in America, also amped my feeling up by a thousand. Call me weak, idgaf. shyt is deep and real.

Being black is painful and being a black boy is hard because society pathologizes and demonizes you before your even able to understand what they’re doing.

Young black men need guidance, love, representation, positive masculine role models who teach them to respect themselves and find meaning and inner peace. Their must be more done to understand and appreciate the black male condition.

I’m working on writing a book or video series about black masculinity, mental health, race, gender and self improvement for Black males.

I feel for the young brehs. This hits home

ATownD19

The Black King You Love To Hate
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Universe
“the more frightening the situation becomes to me, the more we recognize that suicide in general is a problem across communities, but it has a particular impact in the black and LGBTQ communities.

And there it is..Right on que. They really just threw that curve ball out at the end there.
:francis:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly its cause kids are soft these days. And folks are teaching them its ok to be soft. Look at dwade letting his son wear heels and prance around. He is doing his son a disservice by not preparing him for reality.

When these soft black kids get into the real world they are food to all the wolves and white supremacists. They are completely unprepared while these cacs are prepared for war and viewing them as threats. Blacks kids can't afford to be soft in this country cause this country doesn't see them as kids. This is why promoting and encouraging black male masculinity is important. They have purposely been attacking it because they don't want any more malcolm's coming up in the black community.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
You don’t hear about this too much tho :francis:
I’ve dealt with suicidal thoughts almost my whole life. It sucks. Racism and the awareness of my presence as an underclass in America, also amped my feeling up by a thousand. Call me weak, idgaf. shyt is deep and real.

Being black is painful and being a black boy is hard because society pathologizes and demonizes you before your even able to understand what they’re doing.

Young black men need guidance, love, representation, positive masculine role models who teach them to respect themselves and find meaning and inner peace. Their must be more done to understand and appreciate the black male condition.

They need their FATHERS.