Black Art/Independent Films

WeSeeIt

Rookie
Daps
Yeah its carzy at these indie /independent / festivals showing black cinema I hardly see any blacks and if I do its black women hipster 'ish

I've dabbled in filmmaking. I wrote a script and sent it out in order to secure private equity. It got positive feedback, but the question I heard most often was, 'can the lead be white?' or 'why are there so many black people in it?'

Investors aren't interested in making films about black people in fear that they won't be able to recoup their money. And in my area, the only stuff predominately featuring African Americans or other minorities is hood or super safe church stuff.. And I'm not interested in that.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Veteran filmmaker Licinio Azevedo draws on the stories of real women who endured the Mozambican "re-education camps" in this dramatic and inspiring elegy to the insurgent spirit of women across nations, histories and cultures.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
The Bluest Note, a award winning short story.

Before losing his singing voice, Tony Mann was a well-respected musical artist whose raison d’etre was his music. After spending months undergoing an extensive battery of medical tests and appointments, he doesn’t have a probable diagnosis. Tony is hopeful for a change in his condition, as he wants to return to the spotlight, but his yearlong absence has defiantly diminished his prospects, and he's silently slipping into depression. Finding solace at a local nightclub, he drinks himself into an alcohol-fueled fantasy, when he envisions a beautiful apparition, a mythical Siren named Niva.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Beyond the Lights (previously, "Blackbird").

Blackbird is the story of Noni Jean, a hot new artist who has just won a Grammy and is primed for stardom. But the pressures of success compel her to nearly end her life until she is saved by a young police officer. They fall hard for each other, despite the protests of their parents who want each to focus on their own career ambitions. But he might be the missing piece to unlock her artistic potential.

Set for November 14, 2014. After that, it'll have an exclusive television premiere in the U.S. and South Africa on BET.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Imperial Dreams. Making its Los Angeles premiere on August 9 at the Ace Hotel
Imperial-Dreams-EW-Exclusive-02.jpg

Last edited:

WeSeeIt

Rookie
Daps
Beyond the Lights (previously, "Blackbird").

Blackbird is the story of Noni Jean, a hot new artist who has just won a Grammy and is primed for stardom. But the pressures of success compel her to nearly end her life until she is saved by a young police officer. They fall hard for each other, despite the protests of their parents who want each to focus on their own career ambitions. But he might be the missing piece to unlock her artistic potential.

Set for November 14, 2014. After that, it'll have an exclusive television premiere in the U.S. and South Africa on BET.

I might have to buy this...

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
Anyone seen this yet? I'm a fan of everybody involved so I know I'll see it eventually.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
'Memphis' (A Man's Search for Salvation & Rebirth)

memphis-ezra.jpg

The film would go on to make its world premiere at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival, was later picked up by Kino Lorber, and is now set to open on Friday 9/5 at the IFC Center, in New York, and on 9/12 in Los Angeles, at the Sundance Sunset Cinemas. A national rollout will follow.

The film, immersed in ethereal folklore and soul music, follows the transformation of Ezra Jack from beloved soul singer to "ecstatic contemplator," providing a look at a man who achieves obscurity in the hope of finding salvation and rebirth.

A further description:

In MEMPHIS, a strange singer with 'god given talent' drifts through the mythic city of Memphis under its canopy of ancient oak trees, shattered windows, and burning spirituality. Surrounded by lovers, legends, hustlers, preachers, and a wolfpack of kids, the unstable performer avoids the recording studio and is driven to spend time in his own form of self-discovery. Shown in fragments, his journey drags him from love and happiness right to the edge of another dimension. Featuring an explosive performance and score from the singular recording artist-come-wizard, Willis Earl Beal, MEMPHIS is a film steeped in folklore, music, surrealism, and the abstract search for glory.

The cast includes Chicago artist and musician Willis Earl Beal (in the poster above) Lopaka Thomas, Constance Brantley, Devonte Hull, John Gary Williams, and Larry Dodson.

We featured the Sundance trailer for the film, last December, before it premiered at the festival. Ahead of September's theatrical release, Kino Lober has cut and released a new trailer for the film, which is embedded below.

Source: http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...-a-mans-search-for-salvation-rebirth-20140819

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
The Summer of Gods - Trailer

Short film about Afro-Brazilians & the Orishas - The Summer of Gods:

The Summer of Gods is a short film about a troubled girl named Lili who unites with her Afro-Brazilian religious ancestry on a summer visit with family to their ancestral village in rural Brazil. Soon after her arrival, she encounters Orishas (African gods) who join with her grandmother to help her find peace with a gift
that has previously vexed her. The film is set in the Northeast of Brazil where Afro-Brazilian religious traditions remain strong. Lili's Grandma is a well revered local priestess who honors the Orishas. Lili is blessed by the goddesses as well. To preserve tradition, they lead her on a mystical adventure through a nearby forest which symbolizes her initiation into the tradition

MJ Freedom

All Star
Daps
You should check it out for yourself(It was made in LA), the visuals are great but keep in mind it's mainly amateur actors. But, to your point about not many black filmmakers making art/independent films it's mainly because of two reasons: 1) There are very few black filmmakers period and even fewer who get funding to make personal films that take risks. 2) Most people(black, white, asian, latino, etc) that are interested in the movie business are in it for the money and fame -- not artistry. So, their goal is to follow a tried and true formula to making a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. :manny:

But, with all that said, hopefully the fact that there's the technology to make movies on a limited budget will produce more of the types of films we'd like to see.
I don't know why you're wasting your time responding to that :troll: with a sensible post.