Black Art/Independent Films

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
nikka that killer of sheep look like some ol african booty scratcher subtitle needing BULL-shyt

You should check it out for yourself(It was made in LA), the visuals are great but keep in mind it's mainly amateur actors. But, to your point about not many black filmmakers making art/independent films it's mainly because of two reasons: 1) There are very few black filmmakers period and even fewer who get funding to make personal films that take risks. 2) Most people(black, white, asian, latino, etc) that are interested in the movie business are in it for the money and fame -- not artistry. So, their goal is to follow a tried and true formula to making a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator. :manny:

But, with all that said, hopefully the fact that there's the technology to make movies on a limited budget will produce more of the types of films we'd like to see.

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
Sugar Cane Alley This is a really great film and one I highly recommend. The woman who wrote and directed it had help from Truffaut to get it made because he was impressed with the script. It really highlights a place and era I was unfamiliar with.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:salute: this thread.

Sadly, I'm oblivious to the black art/indie flick movement :sadbron:

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
The short film that launched a few careers...

It's fukking amazing.

The writer/director hasn't gotten a Hollywood feature ye (last time i checked)t, if a white guy had wrote/directed this he probably would have gotten one. But he's caking in television.

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
This is one of my favorite films of all time(the trailer doesn't do it justice and is really misleading). I can't think of another film I could compare this to.

Mods, could you please move this to The Film Room? Thanks.

Last edited:

xx001234448

Visual Storyteller
Daps
This film was made by William Greaves whose a black filmmaker but the cast isn't black. Anyway, it's an experimental art film that I've heard a lot about and it's available on The Criterion collection.

Film_360w_Symbiopsychotaxiplasm_original.jpg