Black/AA Spiritualist Churches and Temples

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And if I’m correct AA SPIRITUALISM seems like a more extreme branch off movement built on older traditions of the black church to emerge out of slavery like holiness and apostolic/Pentecostal

except at some point they went way left field and incorporated many other conflicting religions, ideas and theories that most Christians (African American or white) wouldn’t accept.

Where there any White American Spiritualist churches?

Maybe the OP can answer some of these questions

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
And what is the name of that church today. Does it exist the same now as it did back in the day?

I thought the ADOS Spiritualist was a movement/era that ended.

No, ADOS spiritualist churches/temples are very much alive.

Of course, many of the elders are long gone but the core and practices are still going but these churches/temples are generational and most of the members are the children, grandchildren or great-grandchildren of the founding members.

Therefore meaning, a new or newer member will not be introduced to apprenticeship or many of the private offerings - it's more hidden now to those who are not long-time family members.

My temple is in Michigan and has temples in all the major Black cities there. In addition, to over the U.S. I have the background info on my temple in the OP.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
And if I’m correct AA SPIRITUALISM seems like a more extreme branch off movement built on older traditions of the black church to emerge out of slavery like holiness and apostolic/Pentecostal

except at some point they went way left field and incorporated many other conflicting religions, ideas and theories that most Christians (African American or white) wouldn’t accept.

Maybe the OP can answer some of these questions

Extreme? No. It's extremely similar to Holiness and any other denominations except it's more open about being influenced and honoring ATR elements. In addition, to Christianity and Judaism.

"Mediumship" isn't done but if you are with someone in the congregation who is announced/gifted a message will sometimes be delivered. The same as "Prophecy" or relaying a s"message" it comes from the Most High/Holy Spirit.

6157d8e6ac3e2ea57b86cacf10b9d2ad.jpg

Receiving a blessing during revival at Universal Hagar's Spiritual

They all use the Bible as well.

They are no longer called Spiritualist Churches -- many may have "Spiritual" in the title though.

I would challenge you to learn more about ADOS spirituality before and after emancipation.

Some AA/ fronADOS may front or even think like they don't accept nor partake in the same practices and beliefs Spriutalist and Holiness believe/do - but they do-- they just don't call it that.

From catching the catching holy ghost, blessing oil, praise dances, attire, communion, prayer circle, fasting ... I can go on.

I don't know about what white people do... Nor are Black temples/Churches similar IMO - and have totally different beliefs, setup and practices.

Ill post some books ... Maybe even @IllmaticDelta will contribute as well.

Last edited:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Extreme? No. It's extremely similar to Holiness and any other denominations except it's more open about being influenced and honoring ATR elements. In addition, to Christianity and Judaism.

"Mediumship" isn't done but if you are with someone in the congregation who is announced/gifted a message will sometimes be delivered. The same as "Prophecy" or relaying a s"message" it comes from the Most High/Holy Spirit.

6157d8e6ac3e2ea57b86cacf10b9d2ad.jpg

Receiving a blessing during revival at Universal Hagar's Spiritual

They all use the Bible as well.

They are no longer called Spiritualist Churches -- many may have "Spiritual" in the title though.

I would challenge you to learn more about ADOS spirituality before and after emancipation.

Some AA/ fronADOS may front or even think like they don't accept nor partake in the same practices and beliefs Spriutalist and Holiness believe/do - but they do-- they just don't call it that.

From catching the catching holy ghost, blessing oil, praise dances, attire, communion, prayer circle, fasting ... I can go on.

I don't know about what white people do... Nor are Black temples/Churches similar IMO - and have totally different beliefs, setup and practices.

Ill post some books ... Maybe even @IllmaticDelta will contribute as well.

All this was done by early Christians during bible times. That’s where they get it from. It’s not something new to the late early 1900 Christians or even unique to black churches other than maybe the music, songs and style of dress and style of preaching etc.... which obviously are cultural elements of the time

Black people were segregated so yea i guess their churches had to be different that whites in that sense but the beliefs and religion is the same

What is ATR?

And what I mean by extreme is how a lot of the major Spiritualist Preachers/leaders posted in this thread either claimed to be prophets, messiah figures or even god and eventually lead many astray whatever their original intentions where. They focused more on the Spiritual elements such as prophecy and miracles as as a way to gain followers/notoriety or clout rather than sticking to core basic teaching or principles of Christianity

I think all black churches/temples are similar since They come from a same source/root. People just like coming up with new titles names denominations and characterizations, etc

But overtime I guess they changed just like society and culture and black churches today can’t be compared to perhaps your current temple that seems to have persevered it’s traditions from about 100 years ago

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
All this was done by early Christians during bible times. That’s where they get it from. It’s not something new to the late early 1900 Christians or even unique to black churches other than maybe the music, songs and style of dress and style of preaching etc.... which obviously are cultural elements of the time

black churches were doing the ring shout/frenzy when they caught the holy ghost; much different from what whites were doing. In fact, whites were even warned about it, because they were being influenced by blacks

DKZZqrP.jpg

DmyFFk6.png

SOU49j6.png

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

Afram "spiritual" churches do incorporate other branches of mainstream black worship but that's just one part of it

LNmm5q8.png

yes but it's not exactly quite like what the blacks were doing

VJVaKWY.png

spiritual churches = blacks

spiritualist churches = white people

LVW0Ge9.png

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the mistake some of you are making is confusing race, politics, culture and traditions with being part of a religion.

That’s the problem with a lot of the movements that sparked up in the 1920s-30s. Looking back they don’t stand the test of time

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I think the mistake some of you are making is confusing race, politics, culture and traditions with being part of a religion.

That’s the problem with a lot of the movements that sparked up in the 1920s-30s. Looking back they don’t stand the test of time

In America, race & culture/traditions is a big influence in how said religion was interpreted/operated:dwillhuh:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta

Ok. I don't have the energy or time to educate you on this. But, I will say that you are wrong.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ok. I don't have the energy or time to educate you on this. But, I will say that you are wrong.

I’m in this thread to learn from you since you made it and I see you have much more knowledge on this topic than me. When you have the time you can respond I guess. :manny:

I’m not trying to say you’re wrong but maybe how people who look at black churches from the outside mistake it for something it is not

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Religion and Beliefs are completely different

You can say black Christians have different religion practices than Asians for example but core beliefs should be the same

God don’t care how people worship him if they get on their knees quiet or run around in a circle hollering. Everyone is different. It’s not even a race thing at the end of the day although it is important factor in why people believe in God or Jesus, Islam etc..... or not.

I saw the video you posted. These church differences are more so for studies on religion & culture, and overall history of blacks in USA of that time. However, some people think that is “ Black Christianity” the same way there was “Black Moslems and the NOI.