Black/AA Spiritualist Churches and Temples

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Metropolitan Spiritual Churches of Christ

MJyIm20.jpg

The Metropolitan Spiritual Churches of Christ were founded in Kansas City in 1925 by Bishop William Frank Taylor (formerly a minister in the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church) and Elder Leviticus Boswell (of the Church of God in Christ). It grew quickly and soon had congregations across the Midwest and one in California. In 1942, shortly before Taylor's death, the Metropolitan Churches merged with the Spiritual Churches of the Southwest to create the United Spiritual Churches of Christ. However, soon after Taylor died, a split occurred between Bishop Clarence Cobbs of Chicago, who believed himself Taylor's rightful successor, and Bishop Thomas Watson, who had headed the former Spiritual Churches of the Southwest. Two factions developed, the largest one accepting the leadership of Cobbs, pastor of the First Church of Deliverance.

Under Cobbs's leadership, a revived Metropolitan Spiritual Churches of Christ expanded to encompass close to 100 congregations in the 1960s. It also expanded to West Africa, making it the largest spiritual association operating in the United States.

L6S01ux.jpg

AGilsJb.jpg

y3xlaqF.jpg

qaGnHqX.jpg

GfUop7B.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Oh my! This is dope. Especially the pictures - that looks exactly like my Temple in terms of dress. It's so interesting they are "of Christ" -- I wonder if they are still open. I wanna attend next time I'm Chicago.

Getting this book asap. Thanks!

they're still open

MSCC-Official-Seal-Only.jpg

Congress

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I honestly think there are many similarities - between the two--well at least at the beginning of the movement.

For instance, Bishop Charles Harrison Mason. The founder - you can see the items he used during his services. He also gave oils, prayer handkerchiefs, special items, etc to his members.

Charles Harrison Mason Sr. (September 8, 1864 – November 17, 1961) was an American PentecostalHoliness pastor and minister. He was the founder and first Senior Bishop of the Church of God in Christ, based in Memphis, Tennessee. It developed into what is today the largest Pentecostal church denomination and one of the largest predominantly African-American Christian denominations in the United States.

He definitely was what I would have classified as a spiritualist. Hoodoo and Rootwork is at the root of AA/Black Church.

88e4ed42330ef5043e4f06a24e428ae3.jpg

related

oY33stp.jpg

nZuav8a.jpg

BhZS4bP.jpg

KrCHpZG.jpg

QkOJjjb.jpg

OtAYTVk.jpg

5yT1dSj.jpg

T93oHBd.jpg

Ob3LuQL.jpg

3jFMK2g.jpg

his songs are real popular even with white folks lol

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Today, I learned about Louis H. Narcisse while reading "The Gospel Sound: Good News and Bad Times" -- and I am in love.

Louis-Narcisse.jpg

Louis H. Narcisse (April 27, 1921 – February 3, 1989),[1][2] also known as King Louis H. Narcisse, was an African-American religious leader and the founder of the Mt. Zion Spiritual Church.[3] He claimed religious leaders of the time such as Father Divine, Daddy Grace and, James F. Jones were his divine predecessors.

He was an organizer and spiritual healer in Oakland, California. He was also a gospel minister, vocalist, musician, and composer with whom gospel singer Mahalia Jackson often collaborated. He was the uncle of renowned African-American gospel singer Bessie Griffin (July 6, 1922 – April 10, 1989).[4] They died within days of each other in 1989.

Louis Herbert Narcisse was born on April 27, 1921, in New Orleans, Louisiana, to Stella Narcisse. His father, Jesse Narcisse, was killed in a shipboard accident before his birth. The youngest of four siblings, Narcisse came from a devout Baptist family. At an early age, young Narcisse knew that he had been touched by the hand of God.[5] His family found out early on that Narcisse was something very special, a religious child prodigy who was reserved but loved to pray and sing spiritual music.[5] His singing talents were first locally recognized in New Orleans when he was a teenager, where Narcisse won five radio auditions. As a teen, he became a soloist at church services and funerals.

Ministry
At 18 years old, Narcisse entered into the Christian ministry in the summer of 1939. Narcisse migrated to California during World War II when God spoke to him to come to California. He found a job in Hunter's Point Shipyards in San Francisco, California as an electrical worker earning $85 a week. He lived at a Hunter's Point War World II Housing Project.[3]

In South San Francisco the Mt. Zion movement began with a small prayer meeting,"[2][3] from there Narcisse founded Mount Zion Spiritual Temple in Oakland on November 8, 1945 under the credo "It's nice to be nice." The church was named after his boyhood church in New Orleans, Mt. Zion Baptist Church, which had been the place of his baptism, but Narcisse's Mount Zion Spiritual Temple was actually a Spiritualist church in the African-American Spiritual Church Movement tradition. As his popularity grew, he presided over several churches in Oakland, Sacramento, Houston, and Detroit, and travelled between them.

Louis H. Narcisse - Wikipedia

I have never seen a church/temple like mine - the one I grew up in and still attend represented so accurate/well on video. I can tell this is a Spiritualism Church.

Here is a full editorial in Ebony: Ebony

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
sVuvSei.jpg

James Francis Marion Jones (November 24, 1907 – August 12, 1971),[3] also known as the Rt. Rev. Dr. James F. Jones, D.D and as Prophet Jones, was a black religious leader, televangelist, faith healer and pastor who led the religious movement that developed into the Church of Universal Triumph, Dominion of God, Inc. from 1938 until his death in 1971.

As "Prophet Jones", James F. Jones claimed and his followers ascribed to him, divine powers from God as a special premillennial "incarnation of the spirit of Jesus Christ". Jones was a contemporary of other religious leaders at that time including Daddy Grace, Father Divine, C. L. Franklin, Charles Harrison Mason and Elijah Muhammad.

Jones came to Detroit as a missionary for the southern-based Pentecostal sect, Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ. He thus led two of the largest predominantly black Pentecostal churches in Detroit during the 1940s and 1950s. He broadcast live weekly sermons over Canadian stations CKLW reaching the Midwest. In 1955 he began hosting Sunday night programs on WXYZ-TV, making him the first black preacher in Detroit to host a weekly television program. He was well known for his late-night services, which were broadcast in Detroit. Jones died at 63 years old and was buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Detroit.

The Church of Universal Triumph, Dominion of God is a predominantly African American Pentecostal holiness spiritual church. It began as a breakaway congregation of the Detroit branch of the southern based, nationwide Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ in the 1940s. It was founded by James F. Jones, often known as Prophet Jones.

Universal Triumph, Dominion of God positions itself theologically as the 'fulfillment' of and the true successor to 'the mission' of its former Mother Church. Its self-designation is not as a Christian 'Holiness' Church but as a Christian 'Holiness' Kingdom or a literal 'Dominion of God' into which members, known as 'citizens', have to 'register' not 'join'.

Once registered into the Dominion, citizens are admonished to strictly abide by the 'Dominion rules', i.e. no smoking, alcoholic drinks, coffee, tea, drugs or games of any kind as specified in the 'Dominion constitution' as set up by the 'Dominion Ruler'. The Dominion Ruler is the Head of the Dominion or Kingdom.

The Dominion was organized and founded in Detroit, Michigan between 1938 and its formation in 1944 by a former Pastor & missionary for Triumph the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ, James F. Jones.[1][2] Jones, known as "Prophet Jones", claimed to be a faith healing minister, and ran a fundamentalist Christian, radio and television ministry. Jones further claimed that he was the second coming of Christ with the divine power to heal, forecast, bless and curse.

Jones, as Dominion founder, was the Dominion Ruler from 1944 till his death in 1971. His successor as Dominion Ruler was James Schaffer.

The Universal Triumph Dominion of God's teachings revolve around heralding the incoming millennial rule of 'perfect bliss' under the 'universal triumph' of the 'kingdom of God', in which the wicked, and death itself, will be destroyed but the Dominion faithful will live forever in incorruptible physical bodies right here on Earth. Those in the Dominion that are faithful now, it teaches, can and do have heaven right here on earth by recognizing the 'divine' calling of the Dominion ruler and by strictly obeying his 'divine' wisdom and rules. When this stage of understanding is adhered too the Dominion declares "All Is well": which is the Dominion's signature phrase.

The Dominion of God holds its founder and first Dominion Ruler, Jones, in the highest esteem. It annually celebrates the week of his birth, beginning November 24, his birthday, called Philamethyu and ending December 1, called Hushdomcalama. For the Dominion this is the sacred time of the year and the celebrations take the place of Christmas as practiced in much of Christianity.

pshLrQe.jpg

With Father Devine

2qzxecz.jpg

1pz1v1d.jpg

Jones died of a heart attack at 63 years old on August 12, 1971, at the Dominion parsonage on La Salle Blvd in Detroit under the care of a church "prince", "Lord" Claude Haley. At the time of his death, according to contemporary accounts in Jet magazine, church leaders were trying to design a crypt to place his body near his mother's at Elmwood Cemetery in Detroit.[9]

Jones had 15,000 people pay their last respects to him. More than 2,000 people, some from as far away as Canada and the Caribbean, came to his funeral, which was held at the Adlai Stevenson Building Auditorium on Grand River. Over 20 Universal Dominion ministers from 36 states and the West Indies took part in and officiated at the funeral services. The pastor and famed gospel singer, Reverend Louis H. Narcisse of California, also traveled to Detroit to attend the funeral.[10]

Jones was buried at Detroit's Woodlawn Cemetery in his silver embroidered robe, in a bronze coffin which had had his signature white mink coat placed on it during the services.

BuckFilly

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
pg
Wasn't familiar with the title, thanks. I do remember the Rev. Jeremiah Wright doing a piece about impact and use of the image of Christ during slavery in America. Going to search for it....it was for a weekly pbs show called Religion & Ethics.

There was an HBO special that aired decades ago, collection of AA short films.
Have you ever seen this one, The Boy Who Painted Christ Black?....starring Wesley Snipes, Jasmine Guy & Vanssa Bell Calloway............written by John Henrike Clark.

tuning in now, thanks for this

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See OP. I was raised in and still a member of a historic ADOS Spiritualist Church back home.

And what is the name of that church today. Does it exist the same now as it did back in the day?

I thought the ADOS Spiritualist was a movement/era that ended.