Black/AA Spiritualist Churches and Temples

Melza

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Daps
This is really interesting stuff. Thank you OP! Grew up in a Jamaican Pentecostal home, so this really resonated with me. My people are originally Church of God of Prophecy (for generations), but I grew up Church of God (Tennessee).

What's even crazier is that there's a Jamaican folk religion called Pocomania. They dress and act a lot like what has been described as an AA spiritualist church. There seems to be more of an emphasis on ATR side of things though.
https://nlj.gov.jm/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/bn_reynolds_m_011.pdf
I had a great aunt who practiced pocomania. Her funeral was intense for me (and I grew up around Apostolics and Pentecostals my whole life). All that to say, I always marvel at how connected we are as African people. We kept SO many of the old ways and beliefs. It's absolutely beautiful.

invalid

Banned
Daps
This one is kinda different....

38136_NA012170.jpg

AR-404270306.jpg

Marcelino Manuel da Graça
Marcelino Manuel da Graça (January 25, 1881 or 1884—January 12, 1960), better known as Charles Manuel "Sweet Daddy" Grace, or Daddy Grace, was the founder and first bishop of the predominantly African-American denomination the United House of Prayer For All People.[1] He was a contemporary of other religious leaders such as Father Divine, Noble Drew Ali and Ernest Holmes. Daddy Grace, an innovative Christian evangelist, faith healer, pastor and bishop, used his unique worship style to birth a distinctive religious institution on the American scene. Many of his followers claimed miraculous acts of faith healing while attending services and others saw his ministry as a sign from God of the imminent return of Jesus Christ.

Marcelino Manuel da Graça's parents were Manuel (1837–1926) and Gertrude (1847–1933) da Graça. Marcelino da Graça's sibling group consisted of one brother, Benventura, and four sisters: Eugenia, Slyvia, Amalia, and Louise. He was born January 25, in Brava in the Cape Verde Islands, then a Portuguese possession off the west coast of Africa.[2] There is no verifiable information to confirm Grace's exact birth year, but most sources either state 1881 or 1884. The family of Manuel da Graca, the father of Marcelino, arrived in America at the port of New Bedford, Massachusetts, aboard a ship called the Freeman in May 1902. It is unclear whether Marcelino was aboard the ship in 1902, but ship manifests show that he visited America in 1903, and in 1904 he came as a cabin passenger aboard the schooner called Luiza.

Marcelino Grace married twice. His first wife was Jane "Jennie" Lomba, a Cape Verdean woman also known as Jennie Lombard. They were married in 1909. She bore Grace a daughter, Irene, in 1910 and son, Norman in 1912. Norman died in 1947. Whether they officially divorced was disputed. His second wife was Angelina (Montano) Grace, of Mexican descent, whom he married in 1932. She bore him a son, Marcelino, in 1935. They divorced in 1937.

In her book Daddy Grace, Marie W. Dallam notes that the entire da Graca family were Roman Catholics in their homeland and opened up to different forms of the Christian experience once they immigrated to the United States. The US-based Protestant Church of the Nazarene was the first non-Catholic Christian church to establish a mission in Cape Verde in 1900.

Benventura da Graça, the brother of Marcelino, would later become a Church of the Nazarene pastor in the US. Marcelino, however, was said inside the da Graça family (according to the research done by Dallam) to have always been a "special child". Unlike the conventional ministry of his brother, he went on to establish a unique and independent Christian ministry. After becoming a famous bishop it was recounted that as a youth he had received a commission to preach directly from God.

My great grandfather's family who were originally from Augusta, GA are deep in this church. My grandfather was brought up in the church up until his family sent him up to Chicago when he was 10. Heard so many stories about Sweet Daddy. Fam so deep in the church, I have a cousin that is a potential candidate to be the next Sweet Daddy.

Oan, I was mulling over doing a thread on what academics call the "black sacred cosmos" or the African American religious experience so I'm glad I came across this.

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is really interesting stuff. Thank you OP! Grew up in a Jamaican Pentecostal home, so this really resonated with me. My people are originally Church of God of Prophecy (for generations), but I grew up Church of God (Tennessee).

What's even crazier is that there's a Jamaican folk religion called Pocomania. They dress and act a lot like what has been described as an AA spiritualist church. There seems to be more of an emphasis on ATR side of things though.
https://nlj.gov.jm/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/bn_reynolds_m_011.pdf
I had a great aunt who practiced pocomania. Her funeral was intense for me (and I grew up around Apostolics and Pentecostals my whole life). All that to say, I always marvel at how connected we are as African people. We kept SO many of the old ways and beliefs. It's absolutely beautiful.

Yea this is true and interesting across the diaspora but we often seem to mix and confuse religion with culture. I noticed this in many different churches/religions around the world. the Spiritual part in both can be intense but this isn’t uniform across all black religions and African American church experiences in my opinion

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta

Father Divine

Father Divine
(c. 1876 – September 10, 1965), also known as Reverend M. J. Divine, was an African American spiritual leader[2] from about 1907 until his death. His full self-given name was Reverend Major Jealous Divine, and he was also known as "the Messenger" early in his life. He founded the International Peace Mission movement, formulated its doctrine, and oversaw its growth from a small and predominantly black congregation into a multiracial and international church.

Father Divine claimed to be God.[3] He made numerous contributions toward his followers' economic independence and racial equality. He was a contemporary of other religious leaders such as Daddy Grace, Charles Harrison Mason, Noble Drew Ali and James F. Jones (also known as Prophet Jones).

Father Divine is one of the more perplexing figures in twentieth-century African American history. The founder of a cultish religious movement whose members regarded him as God, Father Divine was also an untiring champion of equal rights for all Americans regardless of color or creed, as well as a very practical businessman whose many retail and farming establishments flourished in the midst of the Great Depression.

Regarded by many members of the traditional black church as an imposter or even a lunatic, Divine was praised by other observers as a powerful agent of social change, alone among the many cult leaders in Depression-era New York in providing tangible economic benefits for thousands of his disciples.

The early biography of the man who later called himself Father Divine is little more than a patchwork of guesses: Divine was apparently unwilling to discuss his life except in its “spiritual” aspects. Believing himself to be God incarnate, he felt the details of his worldly existence were unimportant; the result is that historians are not certain even of his original name or place of birth. Most agree, however, that Father Divine was probably born ten to twenty years after the end of the Civil War, somewhere in the Deep South, and that his given name was George Baker.

The Brotherly Spiritualist Beef Between Father Divine and Prophet George W. Hurley

The prophet also had run-ins with a New York City based prophet named Father Divine, who like Hurley, numbered his followers in the hundreds of thousands in multiple states. Whereas Hurley staked claim to being the Second Christ Son of God, Divine strove higher and deemed himself God.

The rift deepened when Divine set up a church (he called it extending "his heavens") on the outskirts of Detroit (Highland Park) in 1936. Hurley predicted oblivion for the "little man" and that the prophet would die within 9 years due to a covenant with an evil spirit. While the claim was a bold leap of faith it was off by both methodology and mathematics, as "God" would live some 17 years past the decree's expiration date. Hurley himself wouldn't live to see the prophecy proven wrong as he died two years shy of his prediction in the summer of 1943. Source: WEIRD DETROIT: G. W. Hurley: The Second Christ of Detroit

The Afro American, May 20, 1939

from+the+front+page+of+The+Afro+American,+September+12,+1936.jpg

I been researching more info on Black Spiritualist and Black Spiritualist Churches --- and I was looking into Father Divine.

He was def not apart of the Black Spiritualist community IMO. He was a straight up IR CULT.

He loved him some White folks (and homely White women) and they LOVED him. Which is crazy and wild to me.

jYbhGja.jpg

u91H03U.jpg

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I been researching more info on Black Spiritualist and Black Spiritualist Churches --- and I was looking into Father Divine.

He was def not apart of the Black Spiritualist community IMO. He was a straight up IR CULT.

He loved him some White folks (and homely White women) and they LOVED him. Which is crazy and wild to me.

jYbhGja.jpg

u91H03U.jpg
I think a judge or somebody who was going after him dropped dead suddenly or something. I think you posted an article or clip about that.

That was sure to have made his followers see him as some sort of divine figure.

Thanks for posting the articles.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
@xoxodede

Are you checking out the Black church PBS series by Gates?

I'm off him for now.........might watch it in the future

I'm off him too. I more than likely will this weekend.

After you said that he is the Gatekeeper of history -- I can only agree. He gets ALL the PBS doc love. It's sickening.

I'm grateful for the history -- but we need up and coming Black historians to get some love.

OH! I want to start a thread on this who "Anti-racist" term -- and how Whites and POC are using it. I hope you join in!

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I think a judge or somebody who was going after him dropped dead suddenly or something. I think you posted an article or clip about that.

That was sure to have made his followers see him as some sort of divine figure.

Thanks for posting the articles.

He had them White folks dropping money and as the faux historian Tariq says - "getting tangibles." LOL

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I'm off him too. I more than likely will this weekend.

After you said that he is the Gatekeeper of history -- I can only agree. He gets ALL the PBS doc love. It's sickening.

I'm grateful for the history -- but we need up and coming Black historians to get some love.

OH! I want to start a thread on this who "Anti-racist" term -- and how Whites and POC are using it. I hope you join in!

What I'd like to see happen is for scholars based in HBCUs in the states where this history occurred to be given a national platform to tell those stories.
I check pbs affiliates in different regions and they produce and air documentaries, but only locally.

For example we grew up mainly in a COGIC church. Headquarters for that denomination are in Memphis. There are a handful of HBCUs in TN.
What can Gates uncover about the history of COGIC that a History or Religious Studies professor from TN couldn't?
=========

Look forward to that thread and be interested to hear the different takes people have about that term and who uses it.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
@xoxodede

Are you checking out the Black church PBS series by Gates?

I'm off him for now.........might watch it in the future
i watched it. not very worthwhile if you already have a decent working knowledge of black american history. i think the audiene for it should be non-blacks or non-american blacks who are curious