Bitter Black Men: redefining manhood (long read)

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
After dealing with a lot of bitter black men, and women complaining about bitter black men, I have had an epiphany.

The complaints and insults, the whining and fighting, were actually cries for help.

Black men have a lot on their shoulders, obviously. But one of the issues I haven't been paying attention to is their emotional and mental issues. I am a woman and I have been a child so I know those experiences, it's why I am passionate about helping women and children. The unique experiences of black men haven't been at the forefront of my mind because I have no personal experience with them. Instead, I see black men as strong, masculine, leaders, protectors and defenders. I used to be :scust: at emotional, whiny, passive, victim -claiming black men. Looking down on them and insulting them. I didn't realize that that is a very valid behavior.

I put black men on a pedestal, anyone who didn't measure up to that was looked down on. I have realized that putting them on a pedestal can be just as bad and putting them below me. Instead I had to realize that black men are my equal. That's what I always say, but I didn't believe it truly. Black men are not perfect, they are human. Being human means that you will make mistakes and you will experience life through emotions.

Men, but black men especially, are defined by their masculinity. They are taught not to cry, suck it up, stop being a baby. That isn't healthy. Of course, you shouldn't stay in your feelings, but you shouldn't suppress them and bottle them up either. Emotions have to be experienced and acknowledged. You have to go through it to get over it.

What healthy outlets do men have for their emotions? Most can't go to other men without being teased, called a "punk", "bytch", "soft" or told to toughen up. They can't go to women for fear of looking less like a "man". Usually, all they have are relationships. When the person who you bared yourself to in your most vulnerable state betrays you, it is a perfectly normal reaction to become bitter.

But you can not stay there, you need to release those negative emotions. We have to reach out to each other and connect. Recognizing there is a lack of emotional support for black men. We need to reintroduce ourselves to eachother with an open mind and a sense of equality. These are our equals, our reflections. When black men are hurting, so are black women. When black women are hurting so are black men. We need each other.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:mjcry:Nail on the head. I grew up largely without my father, and there were hundreds of instances in which i would have liked to have someone listen to what was troubling me. I didnt get that luxury. I had to morph into a psuedo father for my sisters cause they mostly didnt have one, crying was frowned upon, and the common response to whatever bothers me was always "suck it up" or "get some p*ssy."
Thankfully since i had an emotional break 4+ years ago i dont have to feel much of anything anymore, but there was that child me that could only solve so much by burying my head in distractions. Literally nobody wants to hear a black man cry or whine, or even express discomfort( ive always been the more comforting type, but im different) or he loses respect, even from his partner. Lotta brehs act out cause while people pretend they care, and after a certain age, people just dont give a fukk about our feelings.

Last edited:

Medicate

Old School New School Need To Learn Though
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
The brothers and sisters who are "Bitter" are actually "Bitter" at the present condition we've been put in....It will look from the outside like Black men and women hate each other, but its really those lashing out an invisible enemy they really wish to attack.

People break up,argue,are emotional towards each other all the time.

I always reference an example that I always come across all the time. If you notice Black men and women who even venture to jump ship to the enemy, you will always find their natural magnetism will be to their own, I've seen it countless times, where they just can't get enough of black men or black women no matter what.

Love for your own other half can't be replaced. This is how I know people are only bitter at what has happened and not the other half.....

86\*/98

Chef Will Equilibrar Òkùnkùn
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sparking blunts in the shade.
Go head nikkas, come in here and bear your souls. We here for you.:sas2:

Naw on the real, the standards we're held to as black men are fukked up. No matter what we're going through, we have gotta be a rock and you touched on it but a lot of times we feel like we can't even speak from a vulnerable place with our sisters out of fear of them losing respect for us and not viewing us a true men. With that said... What we gonna do, cry about it? fukk outta here.:pachaha:

Soon

Banned
Daps
So you starting an "ignore red flags" movement?

You in for a lot of heartbreak.

My advice, do 2 things:

1. Know how to spot dysfunctional people, the red flags are hard to miss.

2. Avoid them after sporting them.

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
So you starting an "ignore red flags" movement?

You in for a lot of heartbreak.

My advice, do 2 things:

1. Know how to spot dysfunctional people, the red flags are hard to miss.

2. Avoid them after sporting them.
No, not at all. Not everyone can help dysfunctional people. Most of the times they have to help themselves. The point Im making is having an understanding and not just dismissing them.