Bill Burr's "F is for Family" Full Trailer - Coming to Netflix December 18th

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
How popular is Bill Burr right now? On paper, it seems like his career is going great, but I never really hear him mentioned in real life or even social media.

:yeshrug:

Outside of Amy Schumer, how popular is stand-up right now?

Stand-up is weird, because a person like Bill can fill up Madison Square Garden, but essentially be under the radar in the public eye to a certain extent.

I like the level he's at. He's hit his stride in terms of voice, and he's putting out great content in his pod, specials, and now the Netflix show.

Plus he's eating off all of this too, and I doubt he'd really want to be a household name - his content would be under more scrutiny if he was.

H.S.

All Star
Daps
:yeshrug:

Outside of Amy Schumer, how popular is stand-up right now?

Stand-up is weird, because a person like Bill can fill up Madison Square Garden, but essentially be under the radar in the public eye to a certain extent.

I like the level he's at. He's hit his stride in terms of voice, and he's putting out great content in his pod, specials, and now the Netflix show.

Plus he's eating off all of this too, and I doubt he'd really want to be a household name - his content would be under more scrutiny if he was.

I agree with all of this, more or less. Amy Schumer, Kevin Hart, Louis CK and Aziz are all household names, but I suppose that's due to their projects outside of stand-up. It's just weird how Burr can do venues like Madison Square and Carnigie Hall, yet I bet he could walk through any mall in the US and not be recognized. I guess that's probably an ideal level of success though.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I agree with all of this, more or less. Amy Schumer, Kevin Hart, Louis CK and Aziz are all household names, but I suppose that's due to their projects outside of stand-up. It's just weird how Burr can do venues like Madison Square and Carnigie Hall, yet I bet he could walk through any mall in the US and not be recognized. I guess that's probably an ideal level of success though.

To me, it's the perfect level, because you know that if you do walk through that mall, anybody who sees you, daps you up, and wants a pic is really a fan of not only your work, but they're really into comedy as an art form.

It's kinda like nikkas into rap who would recognise producers/engineers etc.

I remember I went to Watch the Throne and Young was walking through the crowd with two journalists and nobody noticed him. I went up, dapped him and he was like "Oh that's what's up, thanks for supporting the art" and we chopped it up for a second before he went back to DJ.

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How popular is Bill Burr right now? On paper, it seems like his career is going great, but I never really hear him mentioned in real life or even social media.
According to the podcast he's exactly where he wants to be

Enough fans to easily make a good living through doing what he loves but not too famous to where hes forced to "play the game" for a check

Same position Patrice O'Neal wanted to be in and probably would be in considering his current fanbase

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
On episode 3, not crazy about the show but its ok.

Im sure the his black friend is based off Patrice Oneal. Looks like the outfit he wore on his stand up special elephant in the room

I noticed that too. If he'd still been here - there's no way Patrice wouldn't have been playing that role :mjcry:

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yeah it was based on Patrice. Gap tooth and all :mjcry:

Finished it last night...

:patrice:

It was OK. There were about 4 or 5 truly hilarious moments, and the story progressed and built in a good way, but it wasn't great.

Will always watch and support, because Bill is one of the GOATs and I've been a fan for so long.

That being said, my fav bit/joke was probably the Mohican Airways commercial with the Native American :russ:

NA: How!

VO: Do we keep our prices so low?

And then at the end when the flight attendant offered him a blanket and the Native American dude flipped out. Subtle and fukkin' hilarious.

KevCo

Bond's gun spoke once....
Daps
Reppin
The Weird Side
Great thing about burr, i mentioned this in the podcast thread, is hes still rooted to small comedy clubs also. When he performed at the boston garden for comics come home, he stopped off at a local comedy spot after and did a 20 minute set.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i didn't like it at all until the last two episodes. who the fukk makes a 6 episode animated series.

BruhMayne

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yeah it was based on Patrice. Gap tooth and all :mjcry:

Finished it last night...

:patrice:

It was OK. There were about 4 or 5 truly hilarious moments, and the story progressed and built in a good way, but it wasn't great.

Will always watch and support, because Bill is one of the GOATs and I've been a fan for so long.

That being said, my fav bit/joke was probably the Mohican Airways commercial with the Native American :russ:

NA: How!

VO: Do we keep our prices so low?

And then at the end when the flight attendant offered him a blanket and the Native American dude flipped out. Subtle and fukkin' hilarious.
Repped, I Didn't even catch the diseased blanket reference on that bit
:pachaha: