Biggest What Ifs in Wrestling?

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
Watching some of these Dark Side of the Ring episodes...

What if the Von Erichs hadn't been cursed? Of the 6 children in the second-generation, one died before they even got to 2nd grade, three by the age of 25 (2 by suicide), another committed suicide at age 33. Only one of the children outlived the dad. The family was poised to rule the wrestling world in the 80s and 90s.

What if Owen Hart hadn't died in his peak years at age 34 from what it's probably safe to say is the worst botch in all of wrestling history?

What if Brian Pillman had kept his head on straight and never gotten in that car wreck in 1996 which effectively derailed his career for good in what should have been his prime years until he died at 35?

What if ECW and WCW managed to keep their doors open in the 2000s and 2010s?

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
@Art Barr and Eddy Guerrero in ECW and WCW after. Los Gringos Locos and the Hollywood Blondes are both two legendary super what if teams. Burned so bright and fast. Then poof gone.

Hogan getting the AWA belt and staying there. Does Vince go national with Snuka? What's WM1 look like in this world?

Ecw getting the HBO deal. The New Jack promos we never got...

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
For a more recent one, what if CM Punk doesn't walk out on WWE and wrestling during the prime of his career? Guy was one of the top like 3-5 active names in the industry when he retired at 35.

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Bret dropping the world title to Mr Perfect at Mania 9 would have been the greatest Wrestlemania ME till this day

What if Someone else had a Taker like Mania streak, maybe a couple people undefeated at Mania

What if Owen won the title at SummerSlam 94

What if Luger won the title at SummerSlam 93

Daps
What if Ahmed Johnson learned to be a decent worker, didn't hurt people, and did business the right way?

What if Hogan never went to WCW? Where would they be?

What if the Montral Screwjob never happened? Would we have gotten Austin or Mr. McMahon? Would Owen still be alive?

Hey_zeus

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
What if Ahmed Johnson learned to be a decent worker, didn't hurt people, and did business the right way?

What if Hogan never went to WCW? Where would they be?

What if the Montral Screwjob never happened? Would we have gotten Austin or Mr. McMahon? Would Owen still be alive?
Piggybacking off this one. Let's say Bret stays. How is Austin elevated with Bret and a still healthy HBK in the main event? Furthermore with Bret still here, there's no need to put the belt on HBK at SS 97'. Without Shawn as champ, there's probably no casket match for him to fukk his back up in at RR 98'. The most fascinating thing about the Austin era is how quickly the transition went from Bret/HBK to Austin. By summer 98 they were both long gone to make room for his and Rock's eventual rise. Reminds me Jay Z rising to the top of rap in the wake of Big/Pac's deaths.

Daps
Piggybacking off this one. Let's say Bret stays. How is Austin elevated with Bret and a still healthy HBK in the main event? Furthermore with Bret still here, there's no need to put the belt on HBK at SS 97'. Without Shawn as champ, there's probably no casket match for him to fukk his back up in at RR 98'. The most fascinating thing about the Austin era is how quickly the transition went from Bret/HBK to Austin. By summer 98 they were both long gone to make room for his and Rock's eventual rise. Reminds me Jay Z rising to the top of rap in the wake of Big/Pac's deaths.

I don't think a healthy HBK could have stopped Austin, as the MSG thing would have still taken place, so HHH would have still been punished and Austin still would have won King of the Ring. I still think Austin ends up winning the WWF title at Wrestlemania 14, but probably from Bret. And it would make sense too because Austin could get his win back from the man he passed out to but never beat. There never would have been a Mr. McMahon, as there would be no reason to, and HHH may have never risen to where he was either, because he was the one rising to the top after Shawn's demise. BUT then again, maybe without the back injury, Shawn never conquers his demons either and has a tragic ending... either way, post Wrestlemania 14, I see more Hart Foundation vs. Austin matches. Who knows if that would have overtaken WCW because the Mr. McMahon character was as important as Austin. Would Rock break out? Likely faster, as there would be no DX /HHH trying to actively hold him down. If Bret stays, do they fully go "Attitude" to play off of what ECW was doing? I don't know. Fun to think about.