Big Boy Club……Amex Gold & Platinum Discussion

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I know you get the most value using amex points for flights, but I usually use the points for travel because I rather pay for a flight out of pocket rather than a hotel.

I can see myself using points for a flight that’s over 10 hours, but even then, I’d be :patrice:

What do y’all use your points on?

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know you get the most value using amex points for flights, but I usually use the points for travel because I rather pay for a flight out of pocket rather than a hotel.

I can see myself using points for a flight that’s over 10 hours, but even then, I’d be :patrice:

What do y’all use your points on?

‘I feel you. I’m usually booking resorts and my fits with Amex preparing and then do my flights out of pocket since it’s the least expensive out the group… might have to start planning my shyts better.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This is where I need some help though. Besides the airport Lounge, what else would have benefited me having that plat. Once I figure that shyt out. I might switch over.. I’m eating good off this gold without even paying attention to it. :sas2:
It’s when you pair both together that you really unlock Amex’s best. I wouldn’t get both platinum and gold for my llc though it wouldn’t make much sense in my situation.

Marezzy

RIP my Nikka Zooboomafo 🕊️11-20-2014🕊️
Daps
Reppin
Dallas,Tx
I’ve had a gold card for about 6 months and brehs I love it. Don’t like the spending power thing but love the benefits.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i also called up American Express retention line for my gold card which the annual fee is coming due next month and got an offer of 30k points after $3k spending in 3months :whew:

I might have to call on that offer. I spend that shyt in a month on the reg. I wonder if it’s automatic. I hate calling although their travel service rep is good money. She took care of my trips easy and booked the whole shyt. I just call her line direct to help book my trips.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
i also called up American Express retention line for my gold card which the annual fee is coming due next month and got an offer of 30k points after $3k spending in 3months :whew:
Do you know how long you should have the card before you ask for a retention offer? Do you think it will work if you’ve only had it for 1-2 years?

Bubba T

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Got a upgrade offer to the Plat - 100k points after 6k spend + 15x on gas stations, restaurants, and grocery for 6 months:lupe:

not really sure if it’s worth it tho

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Do you know how long you should have the card before you ask for a retention offer? Do you think it will work if you’ve only had it for 1-2 years?

I got a retention offer my 2nd year. And every 2 years since then.

I don't bother calling on that in between year because they won't budge. You'll get the "I see here we gave you a generous offer last year" line followed by "hold for a min" and then "we got nada". I've heard of people escalating it to managers and getting offers...but I've also heard of people dropping 6 figures a year on the card getting bushed and offered the Green Card as a fukk you.

When I call in it's literally a push of the button by the retention rep and it spits out an offer for either a spend challenge or a smaller guaranteed point credit. It's usually an offer that covers the entire renewal (spend $4k and get 600k points) or get $200 points for doing nothing (last year is the first time i got offered guaranteed cash credit instead of guaranteed points). I always opt for the challenge.

How good your offer is depends on your spend. If you do get an offer you can usually ask them if they can do any better....and you might have an additional offer in there they can pull. If not, they'll tell you.

Again, 6 figure spend people getting bushed with no offers. So no one really knows what AMEX is doing on the backend.

Just call. Ain't going to cost you anything.

Sypress

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’ve had my gold card since October 2020. I’ve read people having success after a full year but others haven’t.

You should give them a call within a month or 2 before the annual fee