Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You're talking like those dudes were elite running mates :russ:

I'll never shyt on Melo. That's my guy :yeshrug:

Exactly. David West was a good role player masquerading as a #2 and Peja was completely washed by 2009. James Posey at 11ppg was the #3 scorer for the Hornets that series.

Ironically, he didn't notice that the only reason the Nuggets beat the Hornets and made the WCF in 2009 was because they replaced Iverson with Chauncey Billups. The two years before that with Iverson/Carmelo together, then went 0-4 and 1-4 in the first round.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This is a tough one for me because i love CP3,and think hes underrated. But A.I was probably my favorite player when i first really got into basketball like that.

If i judge based on career I would probably have to say CP3 has the better looking career in terms of legacy. The man showed he can change the culture and create a winning team. Look up point guard in the dictionary and it should be a picture of Chris Paul(Magic the goat PG). The only mark on his resume is injuries in the playoffs,and playing with career choke artist like James Harden,Book,Doc Rivers:mjlol:

But on the other hand,even after saying all that. You would probably be a fool to draft CP3 over A.I if you could do it all over:wow:

I saw the man when he went to Denver. He started out shooting more effeciently. He was getting double digit assist when he first got there and was trying to prove the point he didnt need to be a ball hog. Obviously soon as his teamates besides Carmelo started to struggle,it went back to business as usual lol. But what Im saying is Iverson had an even higher cieling than what we saw. He just had too many coaches since Georgetwon that let him play however the hell he wanted to play. He needed more discipline,and somebody to force him to learn to be a smarter basketball player. Rather than rely on his freak of nature physical talents. But its rare that you see guys who can be both. So maybe the only way to get that would be if he didnt have the freaky physical gifts. But damnit Im taking my chances:wow:

Theflash

Pro
Daps
:comeon:

Narratives again.

CP3 on the Clippers won their first series 4 games to 3
CP3 on the Rockets was up 3-2 in their second series before getting hurt.
CP3 on the Rockets lost their third series 4 games to 2
:pachaha: Theres montages of the work steph has handed that man. Cp3 is a great player but in comparison to the pgs that have been active at the same time theres plenty with more success hes above mid

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Chris Paul had a prime that was 50% longer than Iverson's, and Paul not even someone you think of as durable like that. That says something about Iverson's reliability and Paul's longevity...

Prime Iverson (1998-2006)
•'01 MVP, '01 AMVP
•2x Top 5 MVP finish
•5x All-NBA (4x 1st), 4x All-Star
•3x scoring champ, 3x steals champ
•0-1 Finals, 1-0 ECF, 6-6 playoff series, 2x missed playoffs
•in his prime Sixers won 44.5 wins/year
•1x 50-win season

Prime CP3 (2007-19)
•'13 AMVP
•4x Top 5 MVP finish
•8x All-NBA (4x 1st), 9x All-D (7x 1st), 9x All-Star
•4x assists champ, 6x steals champ
•0-1 WCF, 7-11 playoff series (4-9 as a #1), 1x missed playoffs
•his teams won 52.4 games/year in his prime, including 51.1 games/year as a #1
•8x 50-wins, 1x 60-wins (7x 50-wins as #1)

Paul was a greater driver of winning ball than Allen Iverson, who outside of one lightning in a bottle season, never did anything of note in terms of winning success. And Paul was engineering winning at a higher level in a tougher conference than Iverson's East...

Iverson's only pluses over CP are he was a better slasher, a better transition scorer, and a volume scorer who when the j was working he could light it up...

CP was better at way more basketball things, it's not even close. Chris Paul was a better offensive player AND defensive player than Iverson...

This really isn't that close...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I will add, I'm neither a CP nor Iverson guy. Iverson was one of my favorite players growing up, after Kobe and Webber. But I can see a ton of things with context today that I didn't have as a child...

I do think there's a really vocal contingent of guys on here who underplay Chris Paul's playoff resume. Was he dealt some bad hands due to injury? Yes. Were a few of his teams relatively weak? Yes, and he was tasked with carrying those rosters all regular season and into the playoffs...

Chris Paul's pattern of injury in the postseason is a demerit, there's no way this doesn't work against him. And the blown series leads are inexcusable. '08, blow a 2-0 with home court vs SA, down 15 going into the 4thQ and only scoring 4 points. '13 vs Memphis, another blown 2-0 lead, just 6 points in the decisive G6 down 13 headed to the 4th...

'15 the Clips blow a 3-1 lead to Houston. CP missed the first two games that were 1-1, and then went up 3-1 the next two games with him, only to then lose 3 straight.....with him playing...

Availability issue in '16, series tied 2-2 bs Portland and his team loses next two without him, granted they also lost two straight with him there. He's gotta wear this, another blown 2-0 lead...

'17, decisive G7 at home vs Utah, scores 0 points in the 4th. '18, unavailable to finish series vs Golden State. '19, 2-2 series, I'm a G5 on the road where Harden played outstanding, Paul scores 11 in a game they lose by just 5 points...

In his prime he lost more than twice as many series as he won. You can't downplay that, he doesnt have the record of playoff success youd expect of a guy who led perennial 50-win teams...

Even with all that stated, he's better than Iverson 🤣...

FS4LFE

Veteran
Daps
AI was more influential but CP was the better all around player. Both players underachieved to a degree.