Bethesda turned down Obsidian's proposal to develop more spin-offs of Elder Scrolls and Fallout

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
I can still play New Vegas with extensive mods playing fo3 is like playing space invaders now. Yeah i will play for nostalgia but the game is so janky and the mods i run to play them is a pain to get working 100% of the time.

I can still play it without visual mods :yeshrug: the world is so much more fully realized and interesting. I'm convinced the love for fallout 4 is mainly fanboys, because even on a systems level, there are better immersive sims that make fallout 4 look simple as fukk. Does it even have the level of depth as Human Revolution? A game that came out almost 5 years beforehand?

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I'm referencing the quality of the writing, you're the one bringing up awards and sales.
Just because something has better writing does not make it a better game. New Vegas has "better" writing than Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Balders Gate 3 and all of those game DOG WALK New Vegas so what is your point your trying to make exactly? Its funny i think FNV is better in other ways than FO3 in more than just writing ( Character building, Quest design, World Building) so i guess i like the game more than you :mjlol:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
Just because something has better writing does not make it a better game.

It makes it a better immersive sim/rpg:russ:

New Vegas has "better" writing than Skyrim (overrated), The Witcher 3, Mass Effect 2, Balders Gate 3 and all of those game DOG WALK New Vegas so what is your point your trying to make exactly?
New Vegas stands shoulder to shoulder with these games, my point is New Vegas is able to balance serviceable combat and exploration with the best characters and story in the entire series. While Fallout 4 makes visual and qol improvements but fails at everything else that makes an rpg interesting, Fallout 4 has more in common with 76 or early No Man's Sky when you look at what the game prioritizes, it's unimaginative.

hey genius, 'Character building, Quest design, World Building' is writing

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
It makes it a better immersive sim/rpg:russ:

New Vegas stands shoulder to shoulder with these games, my point is New Vegas is able to balance serviceable combat and exploration with the best characters and story in the entire series. While Fallout 4 makes visual and qol improvements but fails at everything else that makes an rpg interesting, Fallout 4 has more in common with 76 or early No Man's Sky when you look at what the game prioritizes, it's unimaginative.

hey genius, 'Character building, Quest design, World Building' is writing
No New Vegas does not stand shoulder to shoulder with those games wtf are you talking about? And Fallout 3 is a much better Immersive sim than New Vegas is but nice try. New Vegas made ZERO strides in the combat deportment from F03 and so help me god if you think that broken aim down sights mechanic ( if you can call it that) makes it better. And again no New Vegas had TRASH exploration all of the important POIs where right in your face so it didn;t feel as nearly as good as FO3 or FO4 where you stumble upon POIs. and also no Fallout 4 is not unimagitive you thier is WAY more creativity in FO4 than FNV im not sure how you can even deny that Gun crafting, settlement building, being able to go on raids, being able to build fukking robots, having your own vault wtf does New Vegas even do that is even remotely that creative???? When i say character building i mean character builds, when i say quest design i mean how many options to complete the quests/how satisfying they are which is mostly done through gameplay, when i say worldbuilding im talking about how interesting the world is which again is mostly done through gameplay WRITING means dialogue and stories that are being told. The lesson here today is New Vegas fanboys like to do this thing where they say a lot of stupid shyt and hope no one notcies, but when you confront them on what they way their entire argument falls apart lmaooo

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
So this entire incoherent rant is covered in a single sentence of my reply
Fallout 4 has more in common with 76 or early No Man's Sky when you look at what the game prioritizes.

What you listed concerning gameplay elements like crafting, settlements and raids are non-essential and do nothing to add to the game as a story based rpg. Ask gamers what they love about the fallout series or their favorite moments, and not a single person is saying 'I loved building settlements in fallout 4'.

When i say character building i mean character builds, when i say quest design i mean how many options to complete the quests/how satisfying they are which is mostly done through gameplay, when i say worldbuilding im talking about how interesting the world is which again is mostly done through gameplay WRITING means dialogue and stories that are being told.

When I say those words, I'm using their actual meanings, not contorting them to fit my argument. Even if I entertained this terrible logic, it still makes no sense :heh:

'how satisfying the quests are', 'how interesting the world is' are features of good writing, they don't work if the writing is shallow, they become fetch quests. Good developers don't build a physical world then write story in order to justify it, they don't litter the world with quests then write dialogue for the characters afterward. Character, world building, and quests are first written out, you're talking about Fallout as if it's an MMO. You're also conflating 'character building' with the term 'character build'. When people say 'character building' they're referencing something like the reveal and subsequent quests about Benny throughout new vegas. If you invest time into certain quests, dialogue and explore the strip, a relatively one note antagonist becomes more layered and even sympathetic. The choice to have quests structured in a way to delay your more introspective conversation with Benny until you reach Caesars tent, is an example of good writing.

You like the Fallout 4 gameplay loop, that's cool, but it's a bad Fallout game compared to the others. Piling on busy work like settlement building isn't more creative, it's lazy.

SmokyQuartz

Young Skull
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
So this entire incoherent rant is covered in a single sentence of my reply

What you listed concerning gameplay elements like crafting, settlements and raids are non-essential and do nothing to add to the game as a story based rpg. Ask gamers what they love about the fallout series or their favorite moments, and not a single person is saying 'I loved building settlements in fallout 4'.

When I say those words, I'm using their actual meanings, not contorting them to fit my argument. Even if I entertained this terrible logic, it still makes no sense :heh:

'how satisfying the quests are', 'how interesting the world is' are features of good writing, they don't work if the writing is shallow, they become fetch quests. Good developers don't build a physical world then write story in order to justify it, they don't litter the world with quests then write dialogue for the characters afterward. Character, world building, and quests are first written out, you're talking about Fallout as if it's an MMO. You're also conflating 'character building' with the term 'character build'. When people say 'character building' they're referencing something like the reveal and subsequent quests about Benny throughout new vegas. If you invest time into certain quests, dialogue and explore the strip, a relatively one note antagonist becomes more layered and even sympathetic. The choice to have quests structured in a way to delay your more introspective conversation with Benny until you reach Caesars tent, is an example of good writing.

You like the Fallout 4 gameplay loop, that's cool, but it's a bad Fallout game compared to the others. Piling on busy work like settlement building isn't more creative, it's lazy.
You didn't listen to shyt i said so im not going to argue the schematics' of character building, quest design, world building lol. "its a bad fallout game" might be the dumbest argument i have ever heard but its one that im not surprised that a lot of New Vegas fanboys like to weakly spit out when thier backs are against the wall. That and the "it was made in 18 months". Lemme guess you think Resident Evil 4 is a bad resident evil game too good lord FNV fanboys are bottom of the barrel when it comes to basic thought. Imagine Bethesda made Fallout 5 isometric like the first two game for a minute then imagine people saying "oh well its a better fallout game than FO3,FNV and F04 because its isometric like the originals :troll:" . Thats sounds fukking retarted right? THATS WHAT YOU NEW VEGAS FANBOYS SOUND LIKE!!! WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO fukkING STUPID!!!! EVERYTHING YALL SAY IS BORDERLINE MENTALIY ILL!! LIKE ITS IMPRESSIVE HOW MANY THINGS YOU STUPID MOTHAfukkAS GET WRONG!!! Oh yea nikka YOU said that Fallout 4 was uncreative just because YOU don't like those features does not mean its not valid and Fallout 4 is still a more creative game than New Vegas ever will be wether you and your anti Bethesda brigade like it or not. Oh yea i remind you that Fallout 4 SOLD more copies than New Vegas did so i think people really like the settlement building. Which brings me back to the original point New Vegas did not "upstage" Bethesda Fallout games you can like the game more sure but every single Fallout game made by Bethesda (except Fallout 76 fukk that game) was more successful critically and commercially than New Vegas and thiers nothing yall FNV fanboys can do about it.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
New Vegas sales were only ok but now that people want to shyt on Bethesda they make it out to be some great game :mjlol:

Shouldn't Obsidian be focused on the outer worlds 2? Oh that's right almost no one played the outer worlds 1, no wonder they out here simping for another bit of a Bethesda franchise for what 13 straight years?

It makes 0 financial sense for Bethesda to have Obsidian make anything for them.

Bathing Ape

BAPE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
JPN
I love fallout 3/new Vegas as well as 4 but what they improved in 4 the quality dropped in everything else. I think they moved towards the right direction in starfield when it comes to writing but a major part of those games are exploration which would be hard to do with a game made like starfield. The next elder scrolls might be the “make/break” with Bethesda even though it’ll break records regardless. I’m sure they’ll be fine though.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
You didn't listen to shyt i said so im not going to argue the schematics' of character building, quest design, world building lol. "its a bad fallout game" might be the dumbest argument i have ever heard but its one that im not surprised that a lot of New Vegas fanboys like to weakly spit out when thier backs are against the wall. That and the "it was made in 18 months". Lemme guess you think Resident Evil 4 is a bad resident evil game too good lord FNV fanboys are bottom of the barrel when it comes to basic thought. Imagine Bethesda made Fallout 5 isometric like the first two game for a minute then imagine people saying "oh well its a better fallout game than FO3,FNV and F04 because its isometric like the originals :troll:" . Thats sounds fukking retarted right? THATS WHAT YOU NEW VEGAS FANBOYS SOUND LIKE!!! WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO fukkING STUPID!!!! EVERYTHING YALL SAY IS BORDERLINE MENTALIY ILL!! LIKE ITS IMPRESSIVE HOW MANY THINGS YOU STUPID MOTHAfukkAS GET WRONG!!! Oh yea nikka YOU said that Fallout 4 was uncreative just because YOU don't like those features does not mean its not valid and Fallout 4 is still a more creative game than New Vegas ever will be wether you and your anti Bethesda brigade like it or not. Oh yea i remind you that Fallout 4 SOLD more copies than New Vegas did so i think people really like the settlement building. Which brings me back to the original point New Vegas did not "upstage" Bethesda Fallout games you can like the game more sure but every single Fallout game made by Bethesda (except Fallout 76 fukk that game) was more successful critically and commercially than New Vegas and thiers nothing yall FNV fanboys can do about it.
qk2O9EE.jpg

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
They not tryna get outshined again:manny:

This didn’t happen until much later and the early response may have hurt sales too much to overcome.

People often forget that F:NV was the worst reviewed Fallout game in the series for a very long time. The game was so bad on a technical level it was almost unplayable. It was beyond the usual Bethesda jank. There were guides on how to avoid the multitude of ways you could cause a glitch that would force you to restart the entire game if you didn’t have a save at the right spot. I remember trying to play it with a glitch guide while trying to skip the parts that had game spoilers. At a certain point I realized it wasn’t worth it and shelved the game until they fixed it.

It took years of patching and mods for the game to be in a state where you could recommend playing it. By that time it was in the sale bin.

F:NV was not the success hardcore gamers would have you believe.

Last edited:

Detroit Wave

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The D
This didn’t happen until much later and the early response may have hurt sales too much to overcome.

People often forget that F:NV was the worst reviewed Fallout game in the series for a very long time. The game was so bad on a technical level it was almost unplayable. It was beyond the usually Bethesda jank. There were guides on how to avoid the multitude of ways you could cause a glitch that would force you to restart the entire game if you didn’t have a save at the right spot. I remember trying to play it with a glitch guide while trying to skip the parts that had game spoilers. At a certain point I realized it wasn’t worth it and shelved the game until they fixed it.

It took years of patching and mods for the game to be in a state where you could recommend playing it. By that time it was in the sale bin.

F:NV was not the success hardcore gamers would have you believe.
i played on release so im hip but they didnt even have a full dev cycle. So much content was cut from the game story wise and its still better than any of the bethesda games from a narrative standpoint. The fame got rushed out then because of the bugs it got a low meta critic score which fukked obsidian out of bonuses.

Also, soulja boy first album went plat but illmatic didnt even hit gold till after it was written dropped. And now in 2023 we know what was the better album just like we know which fallout is best.

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
Almost as if it actually had a way better story, GOAT DLC, and a plot.

Compared to Fallout 3 and 4 where it's just "you are born, you are in a bunker, you have seen the outside world, kill shyt, and blow up a city :D"
Only big problem with fallout 3 was the ending. Made zero sense to not have the option to send in your supermutant companion instead of exposing yourself to lethal amounts of radiation.

I think when you tried to ask him he said “it’s your destiny” or some stupid shyt. I just shot his bytch ass and reloaded an old save :mjlol: