Best Rapper Alive - 2011 (IF YOUR MVP CHOICE ISN'T ON POLL, MAKE A REQUEST IN THREAD)

Who is the MVP of 2011?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Saigon had a great album but it was recorded in like 2005 and sat on the shelf all those years. He buzz was completely gone by then
If buzz is important in voting for best rapper alive then Saigon would not be your pick :heh:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I forgot all about Ambition. Lotus Flower Bomb might've been the biggest single of the year. Plus he had the big single on the MMG album with Jeremih
I thought about Wale...but he's the reigning "Most hated rapper alive" on the Coli :heh:
I didn't see him getting votes.
Oh and :trash:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
No Elzhi? Anyhow I'm giving this one to Kendrick. Section.80 actually got me back into hip hop after taking a bit of a break from it.
You want to vote for Elzhi instead?
Rappers getting mentions off the strength of remaking Illmatic :whoo:

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
:deadmanny:
I love the cognitive dissonance between the call for Tech Nine to be on the poll and the shots at @Inspect Her Deck and I for being out of touch. :bryan:

And the fact that he's saying people are just googling "best rapper of 2011" to make their pick

When literally the second link when googling that has Tech Nine as #1 on the list

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Yeah MVP is most valuable player so it comes down to numbers if he re-word by who had the best album of 2011 in your opinion than I can see
Read the original post in this thread.
And there would be no need to do these threads if it was just based on sales.

B-Mint94

Banned
Daps
You want to vote for Elzhi instead?
Rappers getting mentions off the strength of remaking Illmatic :whoo:
Nah I'm still gonna stick with Kendrick (El was spitting flames on Elmatic though). I'd just figured he'd be in the poll off the strength of that mixtape.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
But I do feel that to be considered an MVP for the year the album should've been released somewhat recently after he recorded it
That's a fair point.
But that's the only way we were able to experience it :yeshrug:
It would be one thing if the album had been widely available in 2006 and then just got a proper release in 2011, but I don't think that's the case.

cdaw

Pro
Daps
hard to argue against drake for 2011

even harder to flop when you got weeknd and hush creating your sound tho :lolbron:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Nah I'm still gonna stick with Kendrick (El was spitting flames on Elmatic though). I'd just figured he'd be in the poll off the strength of that mixtape.
We had like 20 names on our original list and people have brought up at least 5 other people. We try to stick to around 10 names on the poll to start to make sure people can request others.
It's a tough and thankless job :mjcry:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
That's a fair point.
But that's the only way we were able to experience it :yeshrug:
It would be one thing if the album had been widely available in 2006 and then just got a proper release in 2011, but I don't think that's the case.
He had beats on there by Kanye and was mostly produced by Just Blaze. Plus he had a Jay feature. If you combine that with the buzz he had from Entourage he coulda been huge

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Saigon had a great album but it was recorded in like 2005 and sat on the shelf all those years. He buzz was completely gone by then
Yup. Tho I'm glad he eventually got to put out the album he wanted to, instead of having it shelved and changed several times by his label until it was butchered like what happened to Lupe this same year.

Of course, like you said, being on the shelf that long comes with a price... any buzz he had in the mid 2000s should suffice. :francis:

B-Mint94

Banned
Daps
Yup. Tho I'm glad he eventually got to put out the album he wanted to, instead of having it shelved and changed several times by his label until it was butchered like what happened to Lupe this same year.

Of course, like you said, being on the shelf that long comes with a price... any buzz he had in the mid 2000s should suffice. :francis:

shyt I forgot that Lasers came out this year. The beginning of the dark ages for Lu.