Best Rapper Alive - 1994

Who's the MVP of 1994?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

H.S.

All Star
Daps
I remember bad word of mouth on that album. And I agree, not that it was wack, but that it was a disappointment for what people were expecting.

:yeshrug: Everyone I knew fukked with it. And I disagree with people expecting something different. The album sold well. It had huge singles. It was overall really dark and grimy. This was exactly what people were expecting from Meth. But I agree with your overall point that Tical isn't good enough to place him above Biggie or Nas in '94.

And low key, I'd take Nas's feature run in '95 over all the great Biggie singles from that year.

Lord Mecca

Eyes May Shine
Daps
You mena before I learned the truth and was the biggest common Stan ever.
Or after I learned the truth and all the fukkery that happened in learning the truth when it took place.

Art Barr
both lol... I didn't know you were stanning Common at a point... cause I think I remember you cussin him out one time and I wondered why lol

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
You could argue that Redman was the MVP of 94,

but shoutout to Jeru because low key The Sun Rises from the East was the best album on that year, and it's kind of crazy how few props he gets because most people stopped checking for him after the Wrath of the Math.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
both lol... I didn't know you were stanning Common at a point... cause I think I remember you cussin him out one time and I wondered why lol

LOL
I never cussed common out in his face, publically or privately.
You mean in like in a rant of some down right despicable shyt.
Oh yeah, I have ran down on common in rants on the internet.
When he has done some complete sellout shyt.
That just nullifies even giving common sense drawing points or props at all they are so disrespectfully culturally.
As that really is not the marketed common sense.
to common that used to exist culturally.
So yeah I have done some cuss'n out common style rants.
Yet never have I cussed common out in public or a private setting, tho.

Art Barr

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
What made you pick Big over Nas?

It's close. Nas the GOAT but I'm just going on strictly what impact each MC had at THAT time/THAT year. Nas dropped Illmatic but it initially didn't have the impact on the culture like Biggie's debut.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Honestly, I can't pick between Nasty or Tical:lupe::ohhh::lawd:

@The Jewnited States :salute:for voting Pharoahe Monch

Seeing his name with 0 votes had me :mjcry:

I remember getting stress extinction agenda from track one on the one from thirty three.
that Saturday before it dropped and artifacts I believe.
like right around one another in the same fashion or same day.
Plus I got another souls of mischief, that's when ya lost blue twelve inch single.
That this time came with the actual cover.
instead of the standard jive cheap jive bullshyt black vinyl cover jacket this time too.

Man, that year was like some incredible shyt.
buying vinyl as just a collector and buying the album on tapes.
You like had to be on some pop in, everyday I love at all the stores shyt that summer to fall and winter.

Man, getting tical first day in the snow felt like some epic adventure shyt in college from the mall back then.
Also what is funny is, this is before the culture was marketed globally as the standard way of life pretty much now socially

So it was crazy playing that first tical record and everyone in college at msu.
thinks any bboy is on some shyt they have no idea about and they are just blank squares.
The shyt that makes me lol the most about hip hop and even rap music is how all of a sudden when Leo Burnett turned on the switch for these toys.
Now all of a sudden these nikkaz wanna front like they was in and apart of the culture and some cold as rap listening club going bboy and I know for sure their toy ass was just a standard wack hand in the ghetto that had no fukk'n culture at all and definitely did not listen or take part in hip hop.

shyt is funny to me.

Think a real bboy can't see you toys, breh.

Art Barr

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
It's close. Nas the GOAT but I'm just going on strictly what impact each MC had at THAT time/THAT year. Nas dropped Illmatic but it initially didn't have the impact on the culture like Biggie's debut.

That's an interesting angle to look at it from. Did album quality factor into your decision at all? They're pretty evenly matched in that regard anyway.

And yeah Illmatic was a slower burner for sure.

@mobbinfms i don't think we've discussed this idea. Obviously quality comes first for me but if two albums are equal quality, maybe the one that blew up quicker deserves more credit. We only really looked at it from the standpoint of singles.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
That's an interesting angle to look at it from. Did album quality factor into your decision at all? They're pretty evenly matched in that regard anyway.

@mobbinfms i don't think we've discussed this idea. Obviously quality comes first for me but if two albums are equal quality, maybe the one that blew up quicker deserves more credit. We only really looked at it from the standpoint of singles.

Album quality didn't factor that much to me. I think Illmatic is better than Ready to Die but not head and shoulders ahead. I'm going on the impact each MC had on the genre, and culture as a whole, when they dropped.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Illmatic is comfortably better than RTD for me, but if you got them closely matched than what @Billy Ocean is saying makes sense.