• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Gotta go with BDP, but it was tough because of Eric B. and Rakim and Big Daddy Kane....great year for albums

Change

All Star
Daps
Not on who i think had the best album but it's interesting that I've listened to that EPMD-Strictly Buisness album way more in my life than Kane's album. IMO out of all the greats he never had that one banging album. Always great songs. But his albums were a little sloppy. He never had 100% great beats.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
1986 was more so a "changing of the guards" year. Prior to 86, the only BIG act in town in the Hip Hop game was Run DMC, with other acts like Whodini, a young LL, Doug E Fresh, etc jocking for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places. When 86 came around, Run DMC reached their most commercial success yet in the mainstream. But while they crossed over, this left open a wide range of new MC's to come up on the street level. BDP, Eric B and Rakim, Ultramagnetic MC's, Salt N Pepa, Kool G Rap, Biz Markie etc all dropped their debut songs in 86. In 87, you started seeing the albums drop (Paid In Full, Criminal Minded). When 88 came around, the new generation of rappers (BDP, PE, EPMD, Eric B and Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Biz Markie, Juice Crew, Ultramagnetic, Stetsasonic, MC Lyte, Jungle Brothers, Slick Rick, Kid N Play, etc) were in full swing!