Best Cities For Black People In...Part III: NEW YORK

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Mount Vernon is the blackest city of the 20 largest NY cities. Why specifically do you say it isn't great for us?

🤣 damn yall borough cats really shyt on Upstate 🤣 🤣...

Muhfukkas in NY are much friendlier with white people than cats in California and down south in my experience. I'm not sure why that is, and of course it isn't every single black person, but in general NY cats are a lot more accepting of white people. I can tell you it definitely isn't because NY is less racist, because that ain't the case at all...

How you described the whites Upstate is 💯...

The flagrant poverty upstate is jarring, it is much more common to see blacks down bad than blacks doing well, but I will say they are tight knit. There is black culture in Central NY/Western NY/Albany...

Albany is more New England-oriented, it really isn't all that different stylistically from Hartford or Springfield, Mass..

Elmira is definitely PA, it is basically a twin city to Williamsport...

Went to Manhattan with a girlfriend back then, the Washington Heights area...

I never lived in NYC and never visited outside that one time, so I'm sure it's a culture shock if you grow up in NY and go elsewhere. I'll say this, everything NY offers is public information and I don't think NY is a drastically different experience from somewhere like DC, but I've also been to DC many times compared to just once for NY....

I lived in LA and have been many times and there isn't much of anything at all NY offers that LA doesn't, they have a parallel existence. The weather is different, the ethnic ratio is different, NY was established earlier and is a much older incorporated place, but as far as lifestyle and livability and things to do and entertainment options, LA is parallel with NY. The Culture shock of living in one and going to another are the changes in cultural nuance rather than one having more options of something that the other...

And again I think DC comes pretty close to what NY can offer, if you cut out a slice of NY the size of DC...

I'll give you that NY's size alone presents both a quality and quantity of many options that most places can't match, u just think LA matches it and DC is relatively close. Can't speak on Chicago or Miami and how they compare...
Have you been to Mount Vernon? It’s the hood. Probably the worst part of Westchester county.

I mean the good thing is it’s not some ghetto in the middle of nowhere like many ghettos you’ll see in the south. You can still live there and take advantage of all the nyc opportunities.

Only good thing I love about mount vernon is that it’s the only suburb where you can actually technically still live close to nyc subway.

The 2/5 Trains on white plains road and 5 train on Dyre Ave

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Have you been to Mount Vernon? It’s the hood. Probably the worst part of Westchester county.

I mean the good thing is it’s not some ghetto in the middle of nowhere like many ghettos you’ll see in the south. You can still live there and take advantage of all the nyc opportunities.

Only good thing I love about mount vernon is that it’s the only suburb where you can actually technically still live close to nyc subway.

Nah never been, just never heard anyone shyt on it though. I definitely appreciate the insight!

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
Queens....Rosedale feels like another world in a good way. a lot of black home owners. most are Caribbean. a lot of racist history there as well. good to see its full of black home owners now.

If I was to stay here, I would love to raise my family in Cambria Heights, Rosedale, Laurelton, Hollis-Nice black middle class neighborhoods and home ownership

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps
Too many Bronx people are moving there lol. My boy just applied for a housing lottery out there for him and his girl.

South Yonkers is the hood but it’s safe overall. It’s very hilly. Good blend of urban and suburban.

@ bolded LOL i hear you. Ive watched a few videos on Youtube and noticed the hills.

Is it far from Manhattan?

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
@ bolded LOL i hear you. Ive watched a few videos on Youtube and noticed the hills.

Is it far from Manhattan?
Nah not at all like 30 min to an hour depends on traffic and how deep in Manhattan you’re going

U can also take the Metro North to the 125th Harlem stop in less than an hour

BEN23

All Star
Daps
When I lived in NY, I didnt enjoy it. Had alota issues with the chick I was there with and the weather and general culture was way different than anything u was used to, I was 21 when I got there and it wasn't my style of place...

Two years there and it grew on me...

I only spent one trip to NYC so of course I'm aware I didn't get anything close to a full NYC experience. I grew up transient though, born in (Sacramento) and lived in and been to many big cities, so while NYC is the biggest of them all and unique to anywhere I'd been, i didn't leave there with a feeling of damn, I really gotta get back here...

I think the way I grew up, from larger cities in general and moving around alot and seeing many places, is different from people who are from small cities or towns, or people who spent their adolescence in one place. Any big city, certainly NYC, or any place different if you'd never left your hometown, would hit you with that wide-eyed sensation, someone who grew up the way I did, no place is gonna have you open like that. I enjoyed the trip, one of her friends was from out there and I recognized it as unique but this wasn't some small town kid experiencing the big city for the first time...

It was just another new city I've been to. It was New York City, the biggest and most noted city of them all......but it was just another city to me...

I also didn't grow up where NYC was the gravitational city to move towards and I think that affects perception to. If I grew up in the Tri-State or the Northeast in general, I've seen myself from living Upstate the pull NYC has on people. But I didn't grow up where NYC was a must-see place, or people moving there in droves...

All that said, I'm sure I'll come back to visit one day, because I really wanna see Queens 😆. Too many people told me I seemed like "a Queens nikka", abd in general research of Queens it seems like a place of enjoy. I don't really have a desire to see any other borough though, I was supposed to be in The Bronx on 4th if July '14 but went to jail on June 26, fukked up my plans. But if I never see NYC again I'm good, it's not a bucket list thing...

And besides probably Queens I think I'd prefer Rochester, Buffalo, Syracuse over anywhere else in NY, but I spent more time in those places and they grew on me. I already know it's better for black folk in Queens than any of those cities, so Queens would be #1...

washington hieghts is not a good feel of nyc at all....

mt vernon is ghetto...but that shyt has alot of potential .....i wouldnt write it off...yall keep sleeping and watch people gentrify and take it back....
they got alot of beautiful homes....just the city is mismanaged and lacks money

NoirDynosaur

Yurrrrrrrrrr
Daps
Reppin
Planet Earth
I was disappointed when I went to New Rochelle and I was on like North Ave and Malcolm X…shyt looked like a cookie cutter version of a borough hood nikkas was posted up, Kennedy Fried Chicken and all and the houses looked worse than what you saw in other parts of the town. :francis:

It wasn’t nothing crazy tho and New Ro is pretty safe but I didn’t expect a “ghetto” like area in Westchester County

I know plenty of black middle class city workers choose New Ro as the place to live but I guess they live deeper in
Ha! New Ro is my hometown. We do have hoods further south of New Roc City and around Malcolm X/Lincoln. There were section 8 house projects by Lincoln but got demolished and turned into nice apartment complexes.

Crime does happen from time to time....nothing major though. The hood near New Roc City is where I grew up. It's a bit safer now but I remember hearing random gunshots by Main Street 10 yrs ago. It gets pretty sketchy around night time.

There's also another hood by Union Ave -- Latin hood. This is probably the most dangerous hood due to reports of stabbings. This can gully af real fast.

New Rochelle does have a wealthy black presence in the Rochelle Park section. There's a region called "The Boulevard" where there's spacious mansions like these

9d8fdd812af6d581f6bfd1dcaf7a2bb6-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

250px-Rochelle_Park-Rochelle_Heights_Historic_District.jpg

Mount Vernon is WAYYYYY worse...esp Southside can get demonic . The Ville is known to get it poppin with news reports of people getting stabbed in Mount Vernon High School or certain blocks. The hardest city out of Westchester County. Yonkers as a whole is safe but Southwestern Yonkers where DMX & The Lox was raised is pretty much gutta.