Being black and living in a predominantly white city/town/society is physically & mentally hazardous

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Excellent points made with the exception of the following.

I've seen people abstain and benefit from not getting caught up with all the pitfalls of choosing the wrong sexual partner. Sex has its place and its benefits but its a mistake to dismiss the benefits of celibacy also.
what are the benefits of celibacy?
serious question

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
I lived in Orangevile Ca unitl I was about 10. White people are some of the most hateful yet most caring people I've ever been forst to be around. it gets to a point you stop trying to figure them out and just live your life passenger attitude when it comes to them.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
I couldn't imagine living in a prodominately white area. Every time I go on a road trip I'm hesitant about stopping at particular truck stops cause I ain't tryna be "Jose who mysteriously disappeared after purchasing some slim jims at the gas station" I'm always on high alert when the majority is white people. Which fortunately for me is very rare.
:russ::laff:

Daps
Reppin
VOID
I'm happy I live in NYC now...honestly the olde rI got living in Pittsburgh, the harder life got for me as a black person trying to navigate that extremely white city.

When I was in college, I often studied alone mainly because due to my suburban background, the way I talked, the way I dressed, my love of skateboarding and all things considered "non-black" culturally in America the black kids shunned me and due to being black, everyone else shunned me. Had a hard time meeting women, especially as a Nigerian/West Indian first gen. I would try to get help with homework and classwork but I remember asking the white kids in my class what was due (I would be one of two black people in my college classes at a time) and they'd say "I don't know" and in the next breath when another white person asked them the same question, they would answer it without hesitating :stopitslime:.

I couldn't deal with it anymore....I couldn't deal with trying to suck up and be nice to people I absolutely did not like whatsoever...eventually I just clammed up...kept to myself...that's where my love of being a loner comes from really from college.

Which is funny and kind of sad at the same time. When I started college in 2002 all the way to 2004 (I was in college for a decade due to dealing with depression and not being able to pass an algebra course cause I was terrible at math) I had tons of friends...when I transferred to Pitt in 2005...that number decreased to two in a school of over 40,000. Most of the people there I just could not stand.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
i honestly can't live in a all white city..... u the black guy the police will know... to many people in your business.....where is the black products in stores( hair products, black shaving needs, clippers )....

the competition where everybody trying to do each other with the most expensive shyt... people bragging about their kids education and job.......

my area is heavily mix and i like that cause it's just working folks who look out for each other.. yeah we have a couple of bad neighbors but they know there place

I remember the day before I moved from Pittsburgh to NYC I was all the way out in Mars Township just driving around cause I was bored and I was looking for haircare products in a Giant Eagle I had just walked into...there was none. That feeling...:wow:

I literally hate everything about Pittsburgh...except for some places, people and things that are mostly gone now...the racism there was just too much for me to deal with.

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
I went to school in oakland,ca but started smoking blunts, skippping class etc so I got sent to redondo beach after freshman year to live with my dad. During that time I got egged, got jumped, had my nose broke, arrested for no id , 2 bytche broke up with me cuz they white friends was tripping and the other cuz she was a chola and the ese's started triiping even though I hung with them on occasion. Had race riots at school. Was like 30 black students total if that. Got harassed by pigs, fought surfer gangs. Heard ****** alot. On the flip side it was great living that beach life.

:dead: ........ at least it was still great living on that beach life..

HE_Pennypacker

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
I get what you're saying, especially the really white areas. I get to the point where I just want some alone time, because I get sick of that cacfoolery you come across daily; sometimes brehs, I get sick and tired of being sick and tired :wow: The worst part is when you cannot even talk to anyone IRL about this, cause you're the only black person around and nobody will understand :mjcry:My old stupid self once tried to say something to a white girl I knew and she was all "just ignore them" or "nah, that's just in your head, people here are nice!" :martin:

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Still reading this and I think I am adjusted to being in mostly white area. Went to private school and was the only black kid. My sister and I have an uncanny gift of not thinking we have to appease whites and KNOWING they are not better than us. Not only that but acting on it. I think that's a byproduct of being in private schools and being upper middle class.

Only thing I will admit that has been mostly toxic/hazardous as a black person for me personally is living in Texas. I'm well adjusted to whites and frankly I preemptively can detect micro aggressions by some and honestly some whites (in my experience) may be ignorant but are genuinely trying to be a human and understand the black perspective. I can understand both.

Anyways where I live at now I am around mostly Hispanics. The thing is that it seems a good bit of them almost WORSHIP whites. It can be disgusting. Being unique as a black person and identity is not really revered here vs some places where you are in largely white areas and some whites are interested in you because you are black. Not here. Dating sucks for me (outside of the overweight women, single mothers, women with tattoos) because many of the women go after tall white men. Having grown up like I have I know that many of these white people are just middle class or lower middle.

No offense...like Dave Chappelle said one time you have to let whites know some time that you come from a strong educated background and even more stronger due to the adversity of what you have to deal with as a black person. Frankly business wise I haven't had much issues. I just accepted a job offer with a six figure salary. I shave my head, wear a beard. I

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I forgot to mention where I'm at in Texas you can get the :mjpls: vibe from other blacks and it's hard to identity with other blacks here at times..very few. Also some Mexicans are cool people, but yea some will treat you almost invisible because you aren't white or Hispanic so it messes with your psyche.

I'm saying this have lived in many states. I think my WORST experience with whites/racism was living in South Carolina. But I've been to parts of lilly white Utah and felt OK. All in all I have to be in a metropolitan area. And I know I'm going against the grain but I do like a level of diversity in the cities I go to.

VICVALLIN

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
shyt it is hard. Due to my work schedule and having kids, it's hard for my wife and I to get out. There have been times where the only black person I talked to for weeks at a time was my wife. That shyt takes a toll on you psychologically.