Beetlejuice Beetlejuice #1 Again #1 Again | The Domestic Box Office Thread | Sep. 13-15

Which Movie will Gross More this Weekend?

• Don't Worry Darling

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The Woman King

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Yeah M3gan definitely getting a sequel and I'll be there day one:skip:

Ain 't shyt coming out for the rest of the month.. so Avatar will probably hold that top spot and M3gan will probably hold the 2nd spot for the rest of the month.

Don't think Bron's House will do well... my mom wants to see it tho :francis:

Booker Carver

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Yeah M3gan definitely getting a sequel and I'll be there day one:skip:

Ain 't shyt coming out for the rest of the month.. so Avatar will probably hold that top spot and M3gan will probably hold the 2nd spot for the rest of the month.

Don't think Bron's House will do well... my mom wants to see it tho :francis:

Megan was so good. Whole movie. Took my wife and 6 year old (12 year old told us he was too old). I’ll watch this one again.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
M3GAN was mid as hell but if it opens up newcomers into the realm of horror then I’m happy for them.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
What's at the Movies this Weekend? (Jan. 13-15)

This weekend we got a few new movies to "push" Avatar. We have 5 new, true, wide releases. But Avatar 2 still reigns supreme, as it will play in 4,045 theaters. This is It's first theater reduction, as it loses 295 theaters. Avatar 1 had dropped 167 theaters by its 5th weekend in 2010. That weekend saw Avatar take home $42.7M, the biggest domestic 5th weekend ever. Coming off of $45.8M last weekend, The Way of Water ain't seeing the OG. Still, though, it should be the iceberg that sinks the Titanic's $30M 5th weekend all the way back in January of 1998. Jimmy Cameron's only opponent is himself. :wow:

The Way of Water's $531.8M running total is already #16 all time at the Domestic Box Office. It will blow up the Death Star and blow past Rogue One's $533.5M after tonight. So even though Disney loses, they still win. That's what happens when you buy Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox. :hubie:

A Man Called Otto expands to 3,802 theaters for a "true" wide release. Still no interest in seeing this one. It could make $12M. Feels high. Just don't lose your cat like you lost Wilson, Tommy.

wilson-castaway.gif

Still one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen. :mjcry:

Puss in Boots looks across the $100M mark. It's made $92.9M thus far. If it has a 17% decline like Boxoffice Pro thinks, it'll do just that. That's impressive cuz it's already been on premium video on demand to rent for $24.99 for the last couple weeks. It will play in 3,681 theaters.

M3GAN adds 95 theaters and will show at 3,604. Universal knows that they got themselves a winner. Its $38.5M domestic take already makes it profitable on it's $12M budget. Add in the $17.8M international total, and it's all PG-13 bloody gravy.

In fact, it's already outgrossed Child's Play's domestic and international totals. There's a new Killer Doll King at the Box Office. Charles Lee Ray and his daughter's ass still got the tv side on lock.

FHTAF8KWUAEfFx5

:banderas:

Now it comes down to the hold. Smile dropped by 18% in its second weekend. Amazing. The Black Phone's drop was steeper, at 48%. Barbarian fell by 38%. It'll make $19.9M if it drops by 34.7% which is the average second weekend decline of the aforementioned 3 movies.

Plane  lands in 3,023 theaters. What a title, shyt. I know Air Force One was taken, but, damn. Under Siege wasn't called U.S. Battleship. Crimson Tide wasn't called Sub. The Rock's Die Hard knockoff was called Skyscraper. :ohhh:
We got Gerard Butler and Mike Colter in a Con Air Force One mashup. It makes sense. Gerard Butler already had his Die Hard in the White House with Olympus Has Fallen.  Now that's a legit title. Plane has already made $625K in Thursday previews. The trailer looks like a ⭐⭐½ (outta ⭐⭐⭐⭐) action movie.

I got news for you, that's a good movie. We need those movies. They make world go round. It's looking at a $7M debut. CopShop, which is on Peacock, debuted with $2.3M in September of 2021. I still need to watch that. You know what, I'ma throw it on after writing this. Gerard Butler, the ⭐⭐½ action movie king. :wow:

House Party will be shown in 1,500 theaters in its debut weekend. It looks to make $2.1M. I was just peeping IMDb and saw that Stephen Glover (Donald's brother) and Jamal Olori, of Atlanta fame, wrote this remake of the now 33 year Old original House Party. I would never have known that based off of the dialogue in the trailer, which seemed a lil too forced.

Dude getting snuffed with the running punch was straight outta the "North of the Border" episode, which, conveniently enough, was written by Jamal.

It's directed by Calmatic, who's a music video director. And, who, apparently, will also be directing the White Men Can't Jump remake, which is already in post-production. Dave's GaTa and Mike, make cameos. :ohhh:

We got The Devil Conspiracy with a semi-wide release. The horror flick can be seen at 925 theaters. How's this for a synopsis: "a cult steals the Shroud of Turin for wicked purposes."
It's got Peter Mensah, of Jason X fame in it. RIP to Brodski. The hell kinda name is that for a black dude? :gucci:

Here's the trailer:

The Woman King makes its way back into 843 theaters, looking to add to its $64.1M domestic total and it's Oscar hopes.

Skinamarink, from Shudder and IFC Midnight (Watcher with Maika Monroe, which was good) will play in 692 theaters. It's a horror movie where "two children wake up in the middle of the night to find their father is missing, and all the windows and doors in their home have vanished."

If you've never heard of the director, Kyle Edward Ball, and why would you, it's his first feature. The aforementioned Watcher, debuted in 764 theaters back in June and made $826.7K. That movie had a recognizable name in Monroe and was released in the summer, not in the January movie burial ground.

What's Playing

Catch y'all on Sunday :salute:

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
What's at the Movies this Weekend? (Jan. 13-15)

We got The Devil Conspiracy with a semi-wide release. The horror flick can be seen at 925 theaters. How's this for a synopsis: "a cult steals the Shroud of Turin for wicked purposes."
It's got Peter Mensah, of Jason X fame in it. RIP to Brodski. The hell kinda name is that for a black dude? :gucci:

Here's the trailer:

This looks terrible :dead:

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Another Win for People of Color, the Na'vi, on MLK Weekend: Weekend Box Office Results (Jan. 13-15)

RankLast Week MovieGross % +/- LWTheatersTotal Gross WeeksDistributor
11Avatar: The Way of Water$31,118,000-32.1%4,045$562,919,348520th Century Studios
22M3GAN$17,910,000-41.1%3,605$56,443,5102Universal
33Puss in Boots: The Last Wish$13,400,000-1%3,687$106,369,9754Universal
44A Man Called Otto$12,550,000+198.6%3,802$18,773,1263Columbia
5-Plane$10,004,000-3,023$10,004,0001Lionsgate
6-House Party$3,800,000-1,400$3,800,0001Warner Bros.
75Black Panther: Wakanda Forever$2,184,000-38%1,910$449,096,37210Disney
87The Whale$1,450,125-3.6%1,500$10,743,0656A24
96Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance with Somebody$1,100,000-54.5%2,205$21,828,7184TriStar Pictures
10-Waltair Veerayya$1,080,000-350$1,080,0001N/A

My Thoughts

I've had numerous problems writing these posts over the past couple of months with the page refreshing and then deleting my shyt, which just happened after my write up on Avatar and M3GAN. Charts not posting all the time except for today. Annoying as fukk. Normally I would rewrite everything but I'm not going to do that today. fukk that. The Last of Us is coming on soon.

Dr. King's dream is coming true with five (6 if u count Tom Hanks aka "the last nikka on earth) of the top ten movies starring "people of color." I'm including the Na'vi. You too, Zoe. :mjpls:

Avatar 2 had the 3rd biggest 5th weekend ever with $31.1M. It was indeed the iceberg that sank Titanic's $30M back in '98. Nothing like a little Cameron on Cameron violence. It was also the 5th Generation Fighter to shoot Top Gun: Maverick and it's $29.6M 5th weekend outta the sky. But it's not the plane (we'll get to that later) it's the pilot. And Cameron got this Avatar shyt on autopilot.

Some quick numbers: it's $562.9M domestic total now has it at #13 all time. It blew past Rogue One, The Dark Knight and the Lion King (the live action one, not the classic). Next up is Brad Bird's Incredibles 2 and it's $608.5M. when adjusted for inflation, Avatar 2 ranks #36, right behind Finding Nemo's $563.6M. It's $1.89B worldwide take already makes it the #7 highest grossing movie ever, just behind Spider-Man: No Way Home's $1.91B.

Autopilot.

Taking #2 was the movie with the number 3 in its name, M3GAN. Its $17.9M was only a 41% drop from last weekend. That was a better hold than The Black Phone's 48% drop. It was 56% off of Smile's 18% decline. Both movies respective totals were almost identical with Smile's $18.5M finishing 3% ahead of M3GAN. All that makes for an impressive $56.4M domestic total and $90.6M worldwide. Good for you, Allison Williams. You deserve it, Nepo baby or not. :troll:

is-that-so-gemma.gif

Shout out to Puss in Boots finishing in third place with $13.4M. That number might seem low but It was only down 1% from last weekend. Unbelievable. It's crossed the century mark with $106.3M domestically and $247.4M worldwide. I got my cat some new Weruva Paw Lickin' wet food and wheat grass to celebrate. :blessed:

yee-haw-puss.gif

A Man Called Otto brought in $12.6M as it expanded to 3,802 theaters. :ehh: That was good for 4th place. Again, this is a movie I have no interest in but that's an impressive number nonetheless. Shout out to Sony. They've had a great weekend with Otto doing double digits and The Last of Us dropping tonight, which I'll be watching on my PS5. What do y'all Sony dudes say: "it's what we do"? Indeed it is. :wow:
While the xbots like

fake-smile-otto.gif

Taking flight this weekend was Plane, which landed at number 5 with $10M. Shout out to Mike Colter aka Luke Cage.

CheeryInsistentElk-max-1mb.gif

:mjlol:

Gerard Butler the January King, continues to do his thing on this weekend where we honor Dr. King. Plane got good word of mouth as is evidence by its B+ CinemaScore. This wasn't some plane that never got off the runway and just taxied in the January dumping ground. Jeremy Jahns had good things to say about it.

I definitely wanna check it out.

no-exceptions-brodie-torrance.gif

Fine, Gerard. I'll go on Tuesday. Damn.

Notables Outside The Top Five

House Party opened with $3.9M. the original did $4.6M in it's opening weekend in 1990, while HP2 and HP3 did $6M and $6.7M, respectively.

The Shudder original, Skinamarink did $746K from 692 theaters.

The other horror release, The Devil Conspiracy, did $414K from 925 theaters. Just stay home and watch Sick on Peacock.

Catch y'all next weekend. :salute:

Last edited: