Be honest brehs, did you think The Last of Us would be such a big hit?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Yeah, people can say there have been successful adaptations before but there are caveats..

Live action video game adaptations have ranged from downright terrible to ironically good. Also a lot of video games are only loosely adapting source material.

Sonic for example, its basically a weird buddy cop movie starring sonic there is almost nothing implemented in those movies from sonic lor outside the rings
Exactly. That thread on Resetera with 98% of them whining like immature little children about The New Yorker article on The Last of Us showed how oblivious a lot of gamers are to the rest of the world.

Animated shows are niche and not mainstream; none of those shows are drawing in millions of viewers and driving national discussion. That had never been done with a video game adaptation before The Last of Us.

The aggravation for a lot of us about these adaptations, are like you said, the shows/movies are rarely about the source material. It's the name of a character and a totally different story, which is usually terrible. Then people point to these flops as the reason video game shows don't work.

No, they don't work because they're terrible stories that don't draw anything from the actual games. So you alienate the primary audience and you don't draw in new viewers because word of mouth is atrocious and the stories are trash.

If HBO or another network did shows based on Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Silent Hill, etc. and stayed true to the games, they would all be hits.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Exactly. That thread on Resetera with 98% of them whining like immature little children about The New Yorker article on The Last of Us showed how oblivious a lot of gamers are to the rest of the world.

Animated shows are niche and not mainstream; none of those shows are drawing in millions of viewers and driving national discussion. That had never been done with a video game adaptation before The Last of Us.

The aggravation for a lot of us about these adaptations, are like you said, the shows/movies are rarely about the source material. It's the name of a character and a totally different story, which is usually terrible. Then people point to these flops as the reason video game shows don't work.

No, they don't work because they're terrible stories that don't draw anything from the actual games. So you alienate the primary audience and you don't draw in new viewers because word of mouth is atrocious and the stories are trash.

If HBO or another network did shows based on Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Silent Hill, etc. and stayed true to the games, they would all be hits.

I’m looking forward to Fallouts show. Hopefully Amazon gives it a good budget, the idea of leaving the vault and venturing into the wasteland can be good tv and it can pretty much go on indefinitely

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Yes it was HBO and Sony/Naughty Dog
Match made in heaven
Then that Chernobyl bruv was from the top rope :banderas:

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those aren't live action.

Live action wasn’t mentioned in the post but something like Detective Pikachu or Sonic 2? Those were solid, well-received adaptations.

But I also don’t think that movies or TV shows are always suited to stories. Like there’s no way you can make a serious movie/TV show out of RE unless you charged damn near everything out of the game. The entire game is goofy ridiculousness and camp.

Yeah, people can say there have been successful adaptations before but there are caveats..
Live action video game adaptations have ranged from downright terrible to ironically good. Also a lot of video games are only loosely adapting source material.

Sonic for example, its basically a weird buddy cop movie starring sonic there is almost nothing implemented in those movies from sonic lor outside the rings
I think this is a weird thought process because it implies that animated adaptations are somehow lesser or shouldn’t be viewed on the same playing field.

I also don’t know what you mean by loosely adapting the source material because that applies to adaptations in general. Books to movies, comics to movies, books to TV shows, etc.

Game of Thrones was a loose adaptation on the books. It makes huge charges to the source and drastically changes the motivations/personalities of major characters too.

IMO, the live action adaptations that should follow are the ones that take already their storytelling cues from movies like GTA4, RDR 1&2, the Mafia series, TLOU etc.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Live action wasn’t mentioned in the post but something like Detective Pikachu or Sonic 2? Those were solid, well-received adaptations.

But I also don’t think that movies or TV shows are always suited to stories. Like there’s no way you can make a serious movie/TV show out of RE unless you charged damn near everything out of the game. The entire game is goofy ridiculousness and camp.

I think this is a weird thought process because it implies that animated adaptations are somehow lesser or shouldn’t be viewed on the same playing field.

I also don’t know what you mean by loosely adapting the source material because that applies to adaptations in general. Books to movies, comics to movies, books to TV shows, etc.

Game of Thrones was a loose adaptation on the books. It makes huge charges to the source and drastically changes the motivations/personalities of major characters too.

IMO, the live action adaptations that should follow are the ones that take already their storytelling cues from movies like GTA4, RDR 1&2, the Mafia series, TLOU etc.

Because animation is just not as popular or wide reaching as live action. I’ve used this example before but ‘Into The Spiderverse’ is probably the best spider-man movie to come out in theaters in the past 10 years (maybe ever) it even won an oscar and every individual movie in the recent live action trilogy out grossed it 3 times the amount.

Its just a fact that big live action movies with big stars in them typically get talked about and favored over animation. Thats not me shytting on animated movies, its just facts. A lot of people don’t openly even talk about animated movies, unless it’s bookended by their kids liking it.

And theres levels of adaptations, when you got something like TLOU that has line for line things from video games, and entire scenes ripped from the games, and something like detective pikachu, or sonic that is basically only using the basic idea of who the character is, its completely different.

You could almost place any other video game mascot character in the role of sonic in those movies and it wouldn’t change much. thats what I mean by loose adaptation.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

A niche audience? Cyberpunk Edgerunners?

Lol there’s no way you could do Mass Effect in a show without being 90% CGI which is damn near no different than an animated series. Mass effects key feature is the player driving the narrative and creating a story for his Shepard.

You couldn’t do Bioshock without changing a lot of the source material as well and making loads of changes. The twist wouldn’t even work or make sense, the moral choices for little sisters, etc.

You’re complaining about adaptations not staying true to the source material and then choosing games where they’ll absolutely have to make major changes to the source material to tell the story.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Lol there’s no way you could do Mass Effect in a show without being 90% CGI which is damn near no different than an animated series. Mass effects key feature is the player driving the narrative and creating a story for his Shepard.

You couldn’t do Bioshock without changing a lot of the source material as well and making loads of changes. The twist wouldn’t even work or make sense, the moral choices for little sisters, etc.

You’re complaining about adaptations not staying true to the source material and then choosing games where they’ll absolutely have to make major changes to the source material to tell the story.

I mean, both Castlevania and Edgerunners are stated that they were the top ANIME Netflix originals, not Netflix in general.

And im not complaining about having to add or rewrite the source material, im just saying theres a very obvious difference between adapting something from the source that is mostly true to the original material and coming up with a completely new story that happens to star a character or city. Arkane, and Edgerunners are completely original stories that feature game worlds and/or characters.

A lot of times hollywood doesn’t really get the essence of what makes those games great when they start applying successful hollywood magic to them, the Netflix animated series have less expectations to adhere to that which is what makes them good.

They let Studio Trigger pretty much do what they wanted with Cyberpunk which is why it was good.

TBdaGhost

Bay Bay
Daps
Pretty much. The aource material is incredible and HBO is the shyt.

Shoulda waited for this to hit and maybe GOW and Horizon could have been HBO too. :dead:

Last edited:

FromStLouis

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis, U.S.A.
The inevitable backlash in the final seasons :whew:

"When did TLOU stop being good?" :wow:

"It jumped the shark in season __ ":noah:

"They never should have killed off so and so" :banderas:

"It all went to shyt when *showrunner* left" :ahh:

"Something something woke agenda" :ohlawd:

"The new leadership after WB/DC got sold killed its momentum":blessed:

"Taking 2 years between seasons killed this show" :takedat:

"The writers room!!!! 😡 " :whoo:

Just joking brehs, I wish TLOUHBO all the success in the world. It just means more video game shows and movies for us all.

:salute:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

You're listing vague stats for the anime category on Netflix. That is the epitome of NICHE. :unimpressed:

Animated series are not getting magazine covers, interviews on talk shows or articles in The New Yorker. I don't know why you're being so obtuse about this. :unimpressed:

Oh no, they'd have to do CGI for Mass Effect or Bioshock. Like Star Wars isn't wildly popular or the entire MCU. :unimpressed:

There's a difference between tweaking stories and making them completely different, like @Gizmo_Duck said.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I was confident about it due to the HBO stimulus because they don't allow trash to be produced. Also I think having Neil Druckmann heavily involved helped with the show. I think problems with most videogame adaptations they hand it over to hollywood and they sully the source.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I was confident about it due to the HBO stimulus because they don't allow trash to be produced. Also I think having Neil Druckmann heavily involved helped with the show. I think problems with most videogame adaptations they hand it over to hollywood and they sully the source.

Thats why i kind of have hope for god of war and horizon, they are involving the studios with development. They still need significant budgets though so we’ll see

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Thats why i kind of have hope for god of war and horizon, they are involving the studios with development. They still need significant budgets though so we’ll see
I think that's the only way to go because if studios aren't involved then you can end up with a mess like Halo, Assassins' creed, Doom, Hitman, and other flops. Actually, I think Halo was liked by non-fans since it has a 70% RT, but as a fan of the series, it was trash.

Unsure how good a Horizon show can be, but I hope they give God of War the budget. I think Amazon does fund their shows pretty well, so there's hope. Unsure about Netflix backing Horizon because we've seen how trigger happy they've been on canceling shows, and they've also had awful anime adaptations

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think that's the only way to go because if studios aren't involved then you can end up with a mess like Halo, Assassins' creed, Doom, Hitman, and other flops. Actually, I think Halo was liked by non-fans since it has a 70% RT, but as a fan of the series, it was trash.

Unsure how good a Horizon show can be, but I hope they give God of War the budget. I think Amazon does fund their shows pretty well, so there's hope. Unsure about Netflix backing Horizon because we've seen how trigger happy they've been on canceling shows, and they've also had awful anime adaptations

My problem with Netflix is even their expensive shows look cheap. I have not been impressed by the VFX of a netflix show outside of the last Stranger Things season.

NoMayo15

All Star
Daps
Yeah, well I knew it would be big. It's a great story -- not just a typical zombie thriller, but there's an actual good plot. Plus, being on HBO, you know they're going to put serious money behind it to bring it to life.

Now if it was on AMC or some other bullshyt, I would have been more worried.