Be honest brehs, did you think The Last of Us would be such a big hit?

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the source material runs out and HBO orders more.

The game was basically a movie already so it makes sense that this rang off.

Only other show I have some faith in is GoW because the first game was well written and it’s has Norse/mythology as a back drop.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I think it’ll be interesting to see what happens when the source material runs out and HBO orders more.

Only other show I have some faith in is GoW because the first game was well written and it’s has Norse/mythology as a back drop.

I think they said they not pushing it beyond the games

There Are No Plans For The Last Of Us Show To Go Beyond The Games

Of course that means theres nothing stopping from from adapting factions

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Oh interesting. So are they going to stretch the first game to cover multiple seasons?

It is pretty long so I could see it working, depending on how many episodes there are per seasons.

First season is the entire first game. Theres rumors the 2nd game will be split into two seasons, which would make sense its almost twice as long as the first game

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

I thought it would be a good quality show but not HBO’s second biggest next to Game of Thrones, and this is during Playoff football

them staying reletively true to the source material, really made it no surprise to me that this was a success. studios unestimate the power social media fandom has to ruin momentum for new franchises.

often these studios will try to capitalize off a gaming ip while alienating the fans of the ip at the same time, which leads to poor word of mouth and negative marketing and eventually to a flop. No worse idea imo to try to start a new franchise with built in haters. never works.
instead they took the proper approach and as a result had a built in fanbase.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
them staying reletively true to the source material, really made it no surprise to me that this was a success. studios unestimate the power social media fandom has to ruin momentum for new franchises.

often these studios will try to capitalize off a gaming ip while alienating the fans of the ip at the same time, which leads to poor word of mouth and negative marketing and eventually to a flop. No worse idea imo to try to start a new franchise with built in haters. never works.
instead they took the proper approach and as a result had a built in fanbase.

Thats how i felt about a lot of comic movies pre-MCU, its like they were ashamed they were being adapted from comic books.

pqtsr6txar761.jpg

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Not really, I liked the games but didn't think the story was anything special, just standar zombie fare, I knew it would be a hit cuz people love zombie shyt and knew it was gonna have the HBO standara but didn't expect it to be this big.

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, and I hope this opens the floodgates to more video game adaptations. There's a lot of games with interesting/quality stories that would make great shows/movies.

And I still want someone to make a proper Resident Evil. :birdman:

I mean, Castlevania, Arcane, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, etc?

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First season is the entire first game. Theres rumors the 2nd game will be split into two seasons, which would make sense its almost twice as long as the first game

I can almost guarantee that'll be what happens. The game is split up in a fashion that lends itself to being two separate entities. shyt, you could argue the second game probably should've just been two games.

I'm assuming the stance on not making anything up is based on Druckmann being busy with whatever it is he's working on as an actual game that isn't the multiplayer game. But I can easily see them returning to the franchise at some point to maybe cover the 20 year gap for Joel from the intro to the beginning of the show, or even the span between the first and second games for Ellie, even if there's not a game that covers that same span.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
being familiar with the game + HBO’s track record with shows (chernobyl in particular), I’m not surprised by how successful the show has been

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Those aren't live action.

Yeah, people can say there have been successful adaptations before but there are caveats..

Live action video game adaptations have ranged from downright terrible to ironically good. Also a lot of video games are only loosely adapting source material.

Sonic for example, its basically a weird buddy cop movie starring sonic there is almost nothing implemented in those movies from sonic lor outside the rings

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
He got too many hits, from Thrones to Narcos, to Mandalorian, to Last of Us…he can put out 3 more stinkers and it won’t matter at this point

his character was only in a few episodes of thrones, yet he was one of the most memorable characters on the entire show cuz of what went down with him and the mountain.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

I wonder if they try to stretch part 1 in to multiple seasons or wrap it up in this first season. it'd be interesting to see what they do when they get to TLOU part II. I wonder if they rewrite his part perhaps :ohhh: