Battlefield 4: PlayStation 4 vs. Xbox One comparison

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
you got better quality pics??? these sh1ts look worse than current gen b.....
CkP0q46.png

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
How the fukk do you know that? Those kinds of things are talked about at Developer conferences, not to the general public.

From GDC Europe back in August:
DirectX_11.2__PS4-pcgh.jpg

You gotta be delusional if you don't think the PS4 won't have it.
Like I said it has the feature set, these things are possible, but where are the APIs for it, where is there version running, where are the videos, tiled resources is an MS thing, branding if you want to think of it like that, but the PS4 does not have it....sure its possible to do something similar but they will need to come up with their own ways to do it...im done with the tech talk, its all BS until we see a greater disparity

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Like I said it has the feature set, these things are possible, but where are the APIs for it, where is there version running, where are the videos, tiled resources is an MS thing, branding if you want to think of it like that, but the PS4 does not have it....sure its possible to do something similar but they will need to come up with their own ways to do it...im done with the tech talk, its all BS until we see a greater disparity
c9e.gif

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Yall acting like it's REALLY some big difference in what you're looking at:rudy:

Still photos mean nothing in a fast-paced multiplayer game:ufdup:

With that being said......

Why would I pay $100 MORE to purchase a game that looks WORSE?:what:

Even if we all agree that BF4 on XO is only slightly worse with the jaggies showing up, why would somebody give $100 extra to have the worse of the 2 looking games?:mindblown:

PS4 won this comparision:manny:

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yall acting like it's REALLY some big difference in what you're looking at:rudy:

Still photos mean nothing in a fast-paced multiplayer game:ufdup:

With that being said......

Why would I pay $100 MORE to purchase a game that looks WORSE?:what:

Even if we all agree that BF4 on XO is only slightly worse with the jaggies showing up, why would somebody give $100 extra to have the worse of the 2 looking games?:mindblown:

PS4 won this comparision:blessed:
If PS4 had games even comparable to killer instinct, spark, or ryse, then yes the choice would be easy. I would love to save $100, but I buy gaming console for the game I want to play, PS4 doesnt have anything I wat to play this year.

The real question would be why spend $400 to play these same games when they are already gonna be on the system you own now, they are going to play the same just with better graphics, I dont see any new gaming experiences on the PS4

Also, kinect rivals preseason looks to be fun cant wait to play next month

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
If PS4 had games even comparable to killer instinct, spark, or ryse, then yes the choice would be easy. I would love to save $100, but I buy gaming console for the game I want to play, PS4 doesnt have anything I wat to play this year.

The real question would be why spend $400 to play these same games when they are already gonna be on the system you own now, they are going to play the same just with better graphics, I dont see any new gaming experiences on the PS4

Also, kinect rivals preseason looks to be fun cant wait to play next month
exactly I'll get one next year

rapbeats

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm glad you posted this one. for the ps4 lovers. stop it. yes the xboxone shows the jaggies, but is also a bit darker(shadows) and looks crisper. someone said they can change their TV settings to make ps4 look like that. but by doing so. do you realize you will also have issues with jaggies? oh thats right. the same Effect/Filter that can Blur jaggie out of the pic. can show a jaggie if you tune it the opposite direction.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Here's some good info:

A more crucial issue is that, while the PS4 toolchain is designed to be familiar to those working on PC, the new Sony hardware doesn't use the DirectX API, so Sony has supplied two of their own.

"The graphics APIs are brand new - they don't have any legacy baggage, so they're quite clean, well thought-out and match the hardware really well," says Reflections' expert programmer Simon O'Connor.

"At the lowest level there's an API called GNM. That gives you nearly full control of the GPU. It gives you a lot of potential power and flexibility on how you program things. Driving the GPU at that level means more work."

Sony has talked about its lower-level API at GDC, but wouldn't disclose its name, so at least now we know what it's called (the PS3 equivalent is GCM, for what it's worth) but what about the "wrapper" code supplied by Sony that is supposed to make development simpler?

"Most people start with the GNMX API which wraps around GNM and manages the more esoteric GPU details in a way that's a lot more familiar if you're used to platforms like D3D11. We started with the high-level one but eventually we moved to the low-level API because it suits our uses a little better," says O'Connor, explaining that while GNMX is a lot simpler to work with, it removes much of the custom access to the PS4 GPU, and also incurs a significant CPU hit.

A lot of work was put into the move to the lower-level GNM, and in the process the tech team found out just how much work DirectX does in the background in terms of memory allocation and resource management. Moving to GNM meant that the developers had to take on the burden there themselves, as O'Connor explains:

"The Crew uses a subset of the D3D11 feature-set, so that subset is for the most part easily portable to the PS4 API. But the PS4 is a console not a PC, so a lot of things that are done for you by D3D on PC - you have to do that yourself. It means there's more DIY to do but it gives you a hell of a lot more control over what you can do with the system."

Another key area of the game is its programmable pixel shaders. Reflections' experience suggests that the PlayStation Shader Language (PSSL) is very similar indeed to the HLSL standard in DirectX 11, with just subtle differences that were eliminated for the most part through pre-process macros and what O'Connor calls a "regex search and replace" for more complicated differences.

Eurogamer/Digital Foundry: How The Crew was ported to PlayStation 4 (And why PC is so important for the next-gen launch.)

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Here's some good info:
Okay cool, I already said PS4 can do something similar and have been the last hour, but it's not tiled resources, and how effective their version will be idk, will see

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Okay cool, I already said PS4 can do something similar and have been the last hour, but it's not tiled resources, and how effective their version will be idk, will see

You do realize that Tiled resources is just MS DirextX-branded name of it? On OpenGL it's called
Sparse Textures.

Also, I found Sony's powerpoint from GDC Europe 2013: http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdceurope2013/Presentations/825424RichardStenson.pdf It's say the PS4 supports the feature on page 25, it's called Partially Resident Textures (PRT). More info starting on page 29.

Last edited:

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
you have a really sh!tty taste in games, just kno
Why do I give a fukk about what you feel about my taste and preferences?

Just know...........................that I dont :umad:

Killer instinct is the best launch game on either system tho :ahh: only $20 too :banderas: