The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
tumblr_mdo5o1GtNW1r62bvqo1_500.gif

This was a movie pushed like crazy by McDonald's and happy meals
maxresdefault.jpg
maaaaan! Happy Meals were so poppin back then!
I remember they had these lil plush Muppet Babies joints that came with the meal!
Mickey Ds had an epic run with the toys

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
In fact @MartyMcFly that was the impression THEN

https://www.google.com/amp/s/moviepilot.com/posts/4183809/amp

Basically, they were caught out, but just wouldn't admit it. Parents reacted badly to the film, but in fairness, and similarly to the 1989 film, Burton had never marketed Batman Returns as a kids' film. In the 2005 documentary Shadow of the Bat – Part 4: Dark Side of the Knight, Burton says that the audience reaction was too mixed to gauge, but the warning signs were there that he could have overstepped the mark:

"It was a weird reaction to Batman Returns, because half the people thought it was lighter than the first one and half the people thought it was darker. I think the studio just thought it was too weird — they wanted to go with something more child- or family- friendly. In other words, they didn’t want me to do another one."

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
In fact @MartyMcFly that was the impression THEN
https://www.google.com/amp/s/moviepilot.com/posts/4183809/amp

Basically, they were caught out, but just wouldn't admit it. Parents reacted badly to the film, but in fairness, and similarly to the 1989 film, Burton had never marketed Batman Returns as a kids' film. In the 2005 documentary Shadow of the Bat – Part 4: Dark Side of the Knight, Burton says that the audience reaction was too mixed to gauge, but the warning signs were there that he could have overstepped the mark:

"It was a weird reaction to Batman Returns, because half the people thought it was lighter than the first one and half the people thought it was darker. I think the studio just thought it was too weird — they wanted to go with something more child- or family- friendly. In other words, they didn’t want me to do another one."

Yup. I got that on dvd and his face when he said he walked into the studio and said "Hey so here are my ideas for the third one" and they all looked at him in silence and he said "you don't want me to do a third one , do you?":russ:

I remember all the controversy man. Like it was yesterday. Even remember my babysitter telling my mom about it after she took me and my cousins lol and how she was not happy

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Right, with weapons mounted to them :mjlol:

That's what's so dope about it, it has an unhinged, seamy, salacious side, lurid sexuality, molestation, S&M, it was an uncomfortable watch as a kid, which is why I think I always liked it.

That batmobile, the fukking weapon of mass destruction it was, is still my favorite batmobile. The scene where he creeps on penguin in the snow is gorgeous

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This was my shyt as a kid. :mjlol:

Watching it as an adult. :camby:

I can't believe the fall off from the first flick. :dwillhuh:

Yeah man it's just....odd. Like I don't know if I'll go as far as you and @Ebonic Plague to say i don't like it but its certainly odd as fukk. Tim came off of Edward Scissorhands and said fukk it, let me cook and let me cook with rape, murder, S&M, torture, the whole 9

Oh, upset me when I read Walkin's character was initially Harvey Dent:francis:

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
:mjgrin:I always looked at it as Tim Burton's ode to how much he hates Christmas and just said "fukk it" and had Batman turn into a murderous loner gunning down/blowing up worthless henchman, Penguin resorting to running political scams and sexual innuendo with random interns("I'll show her my French Flipper Trick" :dwillhuh::pachaha:) & Catwoman basically doing depraved, violent S&M shtick blowing up warehouses. Honestly, I have no idea how they got away with a PG-13 rating, but I'm still salty that we didn't get that Billie Dee Williams Two Face.

@MartyMcFly If you have spare time, read this:
Batman Returns: The Greatest Anti-Christmas Gift of All!

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:mjgrin:I always looked at it as Tim Burton's ode to how much he hates Christmas and just said "fukk it" and had Batman turn into a murderous loner gunning down/blowing up worthless henchman, Penguin resorting to running political scams and sexual innuendo with random interns("I'll show her my French Flipper Trick" :dwillhuh::pachaha:) & Catwoman basically doing depraved, violent S&M shtick blowing up warehouses. Honestly, I have no idea how they got away with a PG-13 rating, but I'm still salty that we didn't get that Billie Dee Williams Two Face.

@MartyMcFly If you have spare time, read this:
Batman Returns: The Greatest Anti-Christmas Gift of All!
:whoo: I will do that. Props brother. I never thought of it like that so I'm anxious to see that side of it. Tim seems like the type to hate christmas too

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
This movie is what happens when you give Tim Burton free reign. Dude walked the line as much as he could with Batman and it made so much money they allowed to go full Burton on this.:manny:

It's ridiculous and insanely adult (I don't think mature works here given the silliness) but it also has a strong theme about animal nature, featuring three characters who each were linked to an animal due to trauma. Batman, who took inspiration from a bat as a symbol but acts very human. Catwoman, whose spirit becomes linked to a cat and obtains nine lives and acts more impulsively (feline). Penguin, who physically has the appearance of an animal and thus abandons his humanity completely. This animal totem is even present in the poster with the characters in order of "evolution" (man at the top, animal at the bottom). Because of all the weirdness it's kind of an underrated factor but the movie has a lot of layers.

nBkhH3V.jpg

And I get why people are like :gucci:@ the Catwoman/SM stuff, but that follows the theme of her being a mouse (innocent, harmless prey) who becomes a cat (impulsive, territorial predator). Of all the weird shyt in the movie this makes a lot of sense, even if it's wildly sexual for a movie mostly aimed at kids (but let's not pretend as if BTAS isn't full of sexual innuendo either).

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
This movie is what happens when you give Tim Burton free reign. Dude walked the line as much as he could with Batman and it made so much money they allowed to go full Burton on this.:manny:

It's ridiculous and insanely adult (I don't think mature works here given the silliness) but it also has a strong theme about animal nature, featuring three characters who each were linked to an animal due to trauma. Batman, who took inspiration from a bat as a symbol but acts very human. Catwoman, whose spirit becomes linked to a cat and obtains nine lives and acts more impulsively (feline). Penguin, who physically has the appearance of an animal and thus abandons his humanity completely. This animal totem is even present in the poster with the characters in order of "evolution" (man at the top, animal at the bottom). Because of all the weirdness it's kind of an underrated factor but the movie has a lot of layers.

nBkhH3V.jpg

And I get why people are like :gucci:@ the Catwoman/SM stuff, but that follows the theme of her being a mouse (innocent, harmless prey) who becomes a cat (impulsive, territorial predator). Of all the weird shyt in the movie this makes a lot of sense, even if it's wildly sexual for a movie mostly aimed at kids (but let's not pretend as if BTAS isn't full of sexual innuendo either).

Yeah all the theme shyt is obvious and there and it works to a degree but it never quite comes together :russ: it just becomes a mix of themes and macabre and Burton being Burton and like you said, a movie overflowing with sex but aimed at 6 year olds. The animated series got away with it because A its a cartoon and 2ndly, it's not as showy as Burton, for different reasons. Bottom line, it's just fukking weird

Also @Interloper :salute: for that article breh. I vaguely knew what Sam Hamm originally planned for the sequel but i didn't know all those details. The main plot is silly but all the thematic stuff and the world he was building and being inspired by the maltese falcon with Batman being more of a character and still with Vicki and continuing that gangster movie vibe would've been awesome to see