Barksdale crew was more ruthless than the Stanfield crew, in hindsight

Just like bruddas

Couple shooters in the cut.
Supporter
Daps
Barksdale crew was drug dealers who occasionally killed people.

Stanfield crew was serial killers who sold drugs in their spare time.

Word. all the bodies in the vacants, the NY nikkas, hell even the security guard at the store.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm rewatching it right now :smugbiden:

Just watched this ep in season 2 where Avon gets this dope peddling CO's stash spiked leading to 5 inmates dying, then Avon flips him to get his jail time reduced.

I might change my mind once I rewatch past season 3 but I don't recall Stanfield being that devious :whoo:

I was WAITING for someone to mention this.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Thats the thing tho, they killed people who they had to for the most part, because who gave them a reason to. State witness=snitch

Dead bodies in vacants=So they wont get caught for the murders, not because they were serial killers

Say what you want about Marlo n em, but the reason the aint have Mike killed Bodie, was because he knew him. Avon n String made Bodie n Poot kill Wallace even tho he was their bestfriend

Marlo's crew were slaughtering whole nikka's families(woman & children) that were rumored to have talked shyt about Marlo in the streets. While Avon out here hosting West vs East charity B-Ball games for the children. Marlo would've had that ref killed for messing up that call.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Marlo's crew were slaughtering whole nikka's families(woman & children) that were rumored to have talked shyt about Marlo in the streets. While Avon out here hosting West vs East charity B-Ball games for the children. Marlo would've had that ref killed for messing up that call.

Exactly. marlo was a sociopath, cared for absolutely nothing or nobody. All he loved was the thrill of the game. People were just pawns to him.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Well I guess we can look at the numbers within a similar time frame - when the two organizations were at their peak. It's been a while since I watched the show so feel free to correct me:

In the very first episode McNulty says the Barksdales "dropped 10 or 12 bodies in as many months". And over the course of S1 they also killed Omar's people, Gant, Wallace, Little Man, that female witness they bribed and Orlando. And they would have also dropped Scar and maybe one of his workers("his boy break, we gonna let em, but if he raise up...") had Omar not intervened.

So within a year + the months S1 covered(let's say maybe 6) the Barksdales have dropped about 18-21 bodies. That's an average of ~1.2 bodies/month.

Now Marlo:
Unless I'm mistaken the time elapsed between the end of S3 - when Marlo hadn't yet started hiding bodies in vacants - and the beginning of season 4 was about a year. And unless I'm mistaken season 4 lasted for more or less a full school year(the end of summer to the beginning of the following summer) so that's what, 9 months?

Now the cops found 22 bodies at the end of S4, but there were also a few that were left on the street. Bodie, the woman in Andre's shop, Michael's first kill and at least one NY drug dealer.

I think Marlo killed a total of 5 NY dealers(mentioned in a discussion with Prop Joe), but we saw Chris and Snoop put 2 of them in a vacant. And they left one on the street. So that leaves 2 unaccounted for, which could go either way.
So 26-28 bodies in 21 months, that's ~1.3 bodies/month.

Now obviously this shyt is not an exact science since the time frames are somewhat speculative, but as we can see the numbers are quite similar.

Daps
The most coldblooded murder either of the two crews did was Chris killing the delivery lady at Andres store.

Marlo gets the more ruthless tag cause we got scenes of Avon being cool and showin respect (Cutty). We got scenes of Marlo havin lil kev killed cause he told Randy about Lex. IMO in that situation Avon woulda had lil kevin get his ass beat but he woulnt have killed his ass.

Kid McNamara

'97 Mike Bibby
Daps
Reppin
Freshman Year
The most coldblooded murder either of the two crews did was Chris killing the delivery lady at Andres store.

A part of warfare. Collateral damage in a sense. Cost of doing business, Militaries and Corporations do this all of the time.

Marlo gets the more ruthless tag cause we got scenes of Avon being cool and showin respect (Cutty). We got scenes of Marlo havin lil kev killed cause he told Randy about Lex. IMO in that situation Avon woulda had lil kevin get his ass beat but he woulnt have killed his ass.

Nah. He eliminated someone who was not dependable, who was not loyal, and who did not follow orders. In keeping with The Wire's meta-analysis, soldiers don't go around freelancing and delegating as they see fit.

Kev got a direct order from an executive/officer and he should have followed it. His value is in performing actions, efficiently, as ordered. If he wants to move up, he can show aptitude, work hard, keep quiet, observe and make moves when an opportunity presents itself. He is not paid to think, or freestyle. If he gets a thorough understanding of the game, he can make moves, but until then, keep your back to the wall and your eyes open -- 24-7/365.

A soldier who jumps out of line like that cannot be considered loyal. Even though he didn't snitch, his actions, if not for herc being a fukk up, could've led to serious issues for Marlo.

Avon...and especially Stringer would have done the same.

Last edited:
Daps
Well I guess we can look at the numbers within a similar time frame - when the two organizations were at their peak. It's been a while since I watched the show so feel free to correct me:

In the very first episode McNulty says the Barksdales "dropped 10 or 12 bodies in as many months". And over the course of S1 they also killed Omar's people, Gant, Wallace, Little Man, that female witness they bribed and Orlando. And they would have also dropped Scar and maybe one of his workers("his boy break, we gonna let em, but if he raise up...") had Omar not intervened.

So within a year + the months S1 covered(let's say maybe 6) the Barksdales have dropped about 18-21 bodies. That's an average of ~1.2 bodies/month.

Now Marlo:
Unless I'm mistaken the time elapsed between the end of S3 - when Marlo hadn't yet started hiding bodies in vacants - and the beginning of season 4 was about a year. And unless I'm mistaken season 4 lasted for more or less a full school year(the end of summer to the beginning of the following summer) so that's what, 9 months?

Now the cops found 22 bodies at the end of S4, but there were also a few that were left on the street. Bodie, the woman in Andre's shop, Michael's first kill and at least one NY drug dealer.

I think Marlo killed a total of 5 NY dealers(mentioned in a discussion with Prop Joe), but we saw Chris and Snoop put 2 of them in a vacant. And they left one on the street. So that leaves 2 unaccounted for, which could go either way.
So 26-28 bodies in 21 months, that's ~1.3 bodies/month.

Now obviously this shyt is not an exact science since the time frames are somewhat speculative, but as we can see the numbers are quite similar.

Season 4 timeframe was August to December, because they were scrambling to get all those bodies out of the houses before New Years so that the stats would be under Royce's watch.

Regardless, saying that Barksdale's crew comes anywhere close to matching the ruthlessness of Marlo's is CRAZY. Marlo let Prop Joe take him under his wing, school him on the game and help him build up his legal ties, then killed him just so he could have the dope connect to himself. Also gotta think about the fact that Marlo never showed any emotion of any sort the entire series, other than the My Name is My Name scene. Barksdale isn't even in the conversation when it comes to this ruthlessness debate.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
A part of warfare. Collateral damage in a sense. Cost of doing business, Militaries and Corporations do this all of the time.

Nah. He eliminated someone who was not dependable, who was not loyal, and who did not follow orders. In keeping with The Wire's meta-analysis, soldiers don't go around freelancing and delegating as they see fit.

Kev got a direct order from an executive/officer and he should have followed it. His value is in performing actions, efficiently, as ordered. If he wants to move up, he can show aptitude, work hard, keep quiet, observe and make moves when an opportunity presents itself. He is not paid to think, or freestyle. If he gets a thorough understanding of the game, he can make moves, but until then, keep your back to the wall and your eyes open -- 24-7/365.

A soldier who jumps out of line like that cannot be considered loyal. Even though he didn't snitch, his actions, if not for herc being a fukk up, could've led to serious issues for Marlo.

Avon...and especially Stringer would have done the same.

:rudy: Lil Kevin didn't even work for Marlo.

Avon wasn't killing people over trivial shyt. He had mad fukkups in his crew after season 1 too.

Last edited:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
I'm gonna end this thread real quick.

When Cutty said he wanted out the game....when Cutty asked for the $10,000 to help the kids out....how do you think Marlo would've responded?

/thread.

Fred.
Thread closed. :wow:

But Marlo did have his crew give the kids back to School clothes money at the beginning of season 4 :ehh:He was a sociopath, so he did it just for thrill of power

Medulla Oblongata

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
They're criminals nikka

Difference is, Barksdales had a sliver of a soul. Avon wouldn't have killed that security guard. Whereas Marlo would have killed that referee Avon was yelling at, just because he enjoys killing.
You could only imagine how Marlo would've dealt with that referee, lol.