“B-B-B-BUT MICHAEL JORDAN PLAYED AGAINST PLUMBERS!!”

Jplaya2023

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anyone who thinks humans are evolved today more than 25 years ago needs to take a course on human evolution and they would know it doesn't work like that.

What we can say is better with 100% certainty is technology, research, nutrition, different training methods etc...

What isn't better is people as a whole in terms of some type of evolution certain coli scientist think, There were freak athletes 50 years ago and there are freak athletes today. What we know is technology is better today and it makes it alot easiesr for players today to adjust. Imagine lebron having to fly charter and play in those heavy ass converse shoes, how would it affect him. What if lebron didn't have the technology 30 years ago to pay 2 million to keep his body in shape as he does. You don't think that would have an impact on his game. Now imagine someone like oscar being able to carry and palm the ball like guys today are allowed to get away with, or wilt having the advantage of better training methods than what he did. It's all apples and oranges when it comes to how technology has made it easier today than generations of the past.

hell i loved my nintendo but getting that shyt to work on a television where you had to screw that shyt in and hope the game works vs plugging a ps4 into an hdmi port and shyt instantly working is night and day.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Coop wasn't on the team for the 91 Finals. That LWO team is 91 was a shell of the Showtime Lakers....and we had injuries!!!

That's an asterisk for Mike!!!! :blessedmagic:

LOL IT WAS ALREADY AN ASTERISK CUZ WORTHY GOT INJURED... COOPER’S DUMBASS WENT TO PLAY IN EUROPE SMH SHOULDA STUCK IT OUT 1 YEAR

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This the best era because it has by far the largest pool of talent to select from. Basketball has become more and more popular and been accessible by a greater and greater portion of the population. Opportunity for Black players and opportunity for international players both increased by leaps and bounds and both baseball and boxing waned as competitors for athletic talent.

When I want to compare eras, I look at three things:

1) How many people wanted to focus on that sport as the #1 sport they wanted to play?
2) From what age were they effectively training for that sport?
3) How well-developed were the techniques to improve in the sport and how seriously were players employing them?

If there are more people in the sport, playing from a younger age, with more developed techniques, then it will be a better era.

But you can have a better era and still not have a better GOAT. For example, the era when Tiger Woods was dominating from 1997-2009 wasn't as great an era for golf as the last decade has been. I think golf has really opened up in popularity and in the number of youth who could train from an early age, so the competition now is better than the competition during Tiger's peak. But no one has stood out like Tiger did, there is no one great golfer who is head-and-shoulders above the rest like Tiger was. So even though the current era is a better era for talent, Tiger is still the GOAT.

The same way that the 2000s were a much better era for overall talent than the 1990s, but MJ as an individual was still so far above his competition in the 1990s that he was also better than anyone in the 2000s too.

Stop.

You saw no high bball iq play from the late seventies to the the mid nineties.

There is no way you saw the high IQ Gen and are saying the low bball iq gen is better.

Dudes don't even have pull up jumpers with a guide hand. Or a mid range game to start.
Professionally they can only zone defense.
While they can only barely play zone defense.
Stop.

I don't even think you was old or cognitive enough.
to even have played outside to think different.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
LOL IT WAS ALREADY AN ASTERISK CUZ WORTHY GOT INJURED... COOPER’S DUMBASS WENT TO PLAY IN EUROPE SMH SHOULDA STUCK IT OUT 1 YEAR

no asterisk.
Magic singlehandidly lead his team over who was the bigger and better Gs like team. Yet they were up against steely competitors with championship experience led by magic.
who was the goat before mike took the mantle.
Then and got beat by the game's all time goat.
Which is why one lebron will never be on magic's level ever. Plus why lebron will never be in the goat argument. When at best lebron is the buffalo bills with a what if free agency style comic book attached by an asterisk. If an asterisk is needed anywhere.

Ain't no asterik by mike name.
As mike beat the trailblazers the next rip and beat all the teams who had his number in the finals.

Mike is the goat and it ain't no fukk'm asteriks nowhere Kobe Stan.

Stfu with that bullshyt.

You better go remind yourself of the wounds.
you have to still nurse from that tablin about Kobe.

Art Barr

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Stop.

You saw no high bball iq play from the late seventies to the the mid nineties.

Wow, you're going even further than I would. I mean, you're certainly right that there was far less high bball iq play in that era, but I wouldn't call it "none."

That was the era when the entire industry still hadn't figured out that shooting 3 points at 35% is worth more than 2 points at 45%.

The era when most teams didn't even play defense until the 4th quarter of regular season games.

The era when many players didn't even know how to switch on screens yet and plenty of teams didn't even practice it.

The era when running a pick-and-roll 30 times a game could get you into the Hall of Fame as a coach.

Hell, the era where teams who knew the pick-and-roll was coming still defended it like THIS:

The era when the top bball IQ player in the NBA played like THIS. (Ignore the errors, instead look at how insanely basic the plays are that led to the errors. Most of the time in the half-court offense, everyone is just standing around. Watch players just run across the court without even a set place to go, often running into each other in the process. Watch defenders look downright lost in clutch situations even though offensive players are being basic as hell.)

High IQ era. :mjlol:

Hell, I just noticed, look in both those clips at how OPEN the jump-shooters were. You have a guard or a jump-shooting forward get the ball 15 feet from the hoop, and his defender decides to...just wait? No wonder they could make mid-range shots at a 40-45% clip back then. :lolbron:

Last edited: