AZ - Truth Be Told [December 1]

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
It’s a good album but I could understand the sentiment of feeling like it should be better. DOD2 was better and felt like a bigger budget album in general.

Dod2 had a horrible formula to me

This felt more rap rap than all the extra shyt that isn't really needed.

Imo his penmanship is better than Jay and Nas in 2023

Illmagic

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its fine but theres not much that I see myself coming back to. AZ's pen is still sharp but the beats are really lacking. This album doesn’t have a single memorable beat. I went back and gave Doe or Die 2 a fresh listen and the beats are sooo much better there. Im not saying this is bad as AZ is still sharp. He's definitely carrying some mediocre production. "This is Why" and "Go Time" are my favs.

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
Its fine but theres not much that I see myself coming back to. AZ's pen is still sharp but the beats are really lacking. This album doesn’t have a single memorable beat. I went back and gave Doe or Die 2 a fresh listen and the beats are sooo much better there. Im not saying this is bad as AZ is still sharp. He's definitely carrying some mediocre production. "This is Why" and "Go Time" are my favs.

Tell me he ain't spaz on the reintroduction?

What kind of beats are you looking for him to float over?

Illmagic

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell me he ain't spaz on the reintroduction?

What kind of beats are you looking for him to float over?
He did his thing but I dont like that beat either. As far as what Im looking for thats a tough question cause what he sounds good might feel too dated. But they pulled it off on Doe or Die 2

I wasn't a big fan of Legendary but heres another example from that album

I like those beats better then ever beat on this album

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah bro, there's plenty of dope production out there that doesn't sound like this generic shyt.

Drum loops and horns like we still in the 80s

Thank you. It’s not that the production is trash but it’s wild dated. There are soooooooo many beatmakers that wold bless him for even cheaper so money isn’t the issue here. AZ still wants to rap over this stale production from 20 years ago. He needs beats that sound “fresh” and somewhat intriguing. I am not saying he needs the same production but look at what Black Thought is doing. Now if you want to do a throwback album what Skyzoo and Pete Rock did was simple and focused. Much better than most of Pete’s recent work. I feel DoD2 was better but even then his beat selection was curious in spots. Like he got some basic shyt from Bink, not Bink in his bag.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dod2 had a horrible formula to me

This felt more rap rap than all the extra shyt that isn't really needed.

Imo his penmanship is better than Jay and Nas in 2023

I feel what both of you are saying. DOD2 had better production but the formula for this album is good that it is simple and NOT trying so hard to fit in with current trends. DOD2 had a couple trash beats too though.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Conductor Williams slander is :camby:

He ain’t a new cat he been out here putting in work. It’s just that you don’t fukk with Gunn or Mach that’s why you hating. Terrible example to use to support your case for Buck :scusthov:
I’m not hating. I don’t have to like him as a producer :dahell:I’m not saying he doesn’t have dope beats. I’m saying he has a lot of wack beats :ufdup: