Ava DuVernay Says It Was Her Decision Not To Be Married Or Have Kids

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
She clearly put her career before having a family and kids.

Directing all those shows and movies is no easy feat.. probably works 16 hour days and has been for years.

And given how successful she is, that takes masculine qualities which probably carries over to her relationships with men.

A man on her level ain't gonna wanna deal with that nonsense.

She can bring her 49-year old ass over here and get this young dikk tho :takedat:

I'd definitely smash for a role :takedat:

Instead of being cooped up in the house with no kids and grandchildren.. she's probably going to drown herself in her work. :yeshrug::manny:

It'd be awesome if she could find that healthy balance.

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Its funny how asian and latin are one group to you but ados is separate from black

Where did I say that? I got love for my ADO bro, don't get me wrong.

Black african/carribean immigration in the US is almost inexistant. I did not list it for the same reason I did not list european immigration.

American demography is fueled by Asian and Latin. Haiti and Jamaica are the closest black countries to the US, but they are too small to fuel black demography.

Dark Knyght

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Sounds like the boat sailed for her on kids and marriage and she wasn’t going to force it. Her career picked up in her 30s when she has close to hitting the wall and decided to grind it out to fruition instead of settling down with someone. And now sounds like she come to terms with that decision. She doesn’t sound like someone who never wanted marriage or kids, she sounds like someone who didn’t prioritize it and that time has passed for her so she’s making the best out of it.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
It's evident! I've said many times that hurt kids grow up to be broken adults.

This.

nikkaz suffering from lack of existential play are to be avoided.
As only nikkaz who lack. Forego treatment from being injured. No matter the level of injury.

If a nikka was not in the audi home system.
Fighting off the diggler for dolo
I am not giving them passes.

for having issue. Then creating more issues.
with shyt already out of their control.
When they act out of control as an adult. That is simply removed from that of the hurt child in question.
Ol broken toy spoiled face ass nikkaz.
are solely there to be treated.

If the general youse's out there are broke. Go seek help and sit on a couch.

Healthy people seek help to regain their health.
Sick people are injured and never seek repair.

Stay away from people who will not go get help in the couch for their issues.

The general youse out there can nOt fix yourself. Especially if you were never a 500 level or better clinical sociology major. To have studied.
what is needed to create change.
Plus in addition.
repair that which is broken.

Art Barr

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
You're right, of course...but give it a few minutes before someone saunters in here accusing DuVernay of being a Russian agent. "This is one step removed from black eugenics!!!" :mjlol:

Your number is dwindling due to the influx of Asians and Latin immigrants and if it keeps going in this direction, ADOS will be totally marginalized 30 years.

Maybe you're an individualist, so it does not matter to you.

the way we are set up as a people, is that all the males who are aware of the situation become individualists out of necessity. very rarely do you meet another FBA male who you can have this conversation with, who actually fully comprehends and cares, let alone willing to do the work to change the situation. at least that's been my experience. if i survive, my people survive, in a way. I'm big on the history and culture of my people, so i plan on working to preserve that.

Narcissism speaking. Personal relationships aren't supposed to be transactional.

No wonder these ppl are alone.

relationships are transactional, in that there's an exchange, irrespective of what the thing being exchanged is, time, money, emotional support, nepotism, advice, whatever it may be, there is some sort of exchange. No one is in your life for no reason, and transaction isn't inherently bad. People grown and learn and change, relations flourish then blossom and finally end, or they don't.. its part of being human.

ImLionyall

Workin on dat Roar
Daps
Reppin
Serengeti
Marriage is definitely transactional. It’s a business move, it ain’t simply about love and that’s it. You marrying a woman that does nothin but sit on a couch all day?

It can be, legally, but lets not act like ppl get married for mostly business reasons. If you go into a marriage worried about what "I" can get out of this, your marriages I'd doomed. Ask any marriage councilor or long term married couple. You can’t commit to something while placing most of your focus on yourself.

Also, most ppl don't marry out of the blue, at least in the West. They must establish a personal relationship....health relationships aren't transactional. Think about all of your best relationships. Do your loved ones bail on you when shyt gets ugly? Would you want a relationship with someone like that? I hope not.

Sauce Dab

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It can be, legally, but lets not act like ppl get married for mostly business reasons. If you go into a marriage worried about what "I" can get out of this, your marriages I'd doomed. Ask any marriage councilor or long term married couple. You can’t commit to something while placing most of your focus on yourself.

Also, most ppl don't marry out of the blue, at least in the West. They must establish a personal relationship....health relationships aren't transactional. Think about all of your best relationships. Do your loved ones bail on you when shyt gets ugly? Would you want a relationship with someone like that? I hope not.
I know most don’t look at it transactionally. At least half marriages fail, because they “fell out of love” more people should probably look at it more transactionally and see if that approach works because marriages now just ain’t working

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
Your number is dwindling due to the influx of Asians and Latin immigrants and if it keeps going in this direction, ADOS will be totally marginalized 30 years.

Maybe you're an individualist, so it does not matter to you.
He obviously also thinks Asian and Latin people shouldn't be reproducing just cause.

ImLionyall

Workin on dat Roar
Daps
Reppin
Serengeti
I know most don’t look at it transactionally. At least half marriages fail, because they “fell out of love” more people should probably look at it more transactionally and see if that approach works because marriages now just ain’t working
Im not an expert nor am I in a romantic relationship but the few 30+ couple I know of talk about what they can do for their spouse...not the other way around. Married or not, being constantly in love, for that long is unrealistic. I just got back from a cousins wedding. Older couples speak differently about love than the young ones. Young couples are self serving when in relationships and seek perfection. Couples that been at it for a while are more giving and have learned to swallow Ls, no matter how messy things get:snoop:

Btwn there's absolutely nothing wrong with making relationships transactional. I do it, it works for me. But I also have a transactional relationship with my barber, should I get upset when he takes other nikkas before me? No. You get out a health relationship what you invest.:yeshrug: We're just waiting for the deal to go bad.

I still get upset when my barber does this shyt though

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Not everybody will be happy doing the same things, so don’t force it. This is better than her forcing a relationship and having a child when she doesn’t want one… and creating a broken family if it doesn’t work out.

Good on her for knowing what she wants and being at peace with it. :yeshrug: