Ava DuVernay Says It Was Her Decision Not To Be Married Or Have Kids

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Ava DuVernay has joined in on the conversation surrounding successful Black women opting out of getting married and having kids while still living a full life. Tracee Ellis Ross has become the poster child for that thanks to social media memes created of the actress fitting the “rich auntie” aesthetic, but she is just living her best single, happy life.

"I didn't see enough examples of different versions of how a woman can find happiness and joy and power and sensuality, sexuality, all of that, without it being through the lens of how I'm seen by a man,” she told Harper’s Bazaar. “People are like, 'You're the poster child for being single.' And I was like, 'Great.' But what I would prefer is that I'm the poster child for living my life on my terms. And that there's a version of that for everyone."

Ava is making a conscious effort to do the same. The director got her start in television and film later on in life in comparison to her counterparts and so she’s been more so focused on her career, but she’s now learning that life is more than just work. Ava opened up about it to InStyle.

“I've gotten a bit stagnant in my relationships with people, the way that I've organized my life. We need to keep meeting new people, challenging relationships, moving out of relationships that don't serve us anymore,” she said.

“There's that line people say, ‘No new friends.’ But there can be. I can't mature in my work if I don't open my life a bit more. I didn't have kids by choice, and I'm not married by choice. I was able to embrace my career later in life, in my 30s. So I'm going to do what feels good to me, and I'm going to have fun.”

The Los Angeles native worked as a publicist for many years before she picked up a camera and began to make films at 32 years old.

:ehh:

Self awareness is key.

That's cool. She's rich af too so she's probably not worried about it...

But, kids, to me, are an insurance policy. Caretakers and income supplementors for when I get old.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
100% agree.. but unless my reading comprehension ain’t shyt (it’s possible) I didn’t get the vibe that she was saying that parenting isn’t for her. I got the ‘not right now’ vibe. But maybe that’s the simp in me. :to:

I was replying to what the person who quoted me said not what Ava said.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
Almost anytime I read this woman’s name I think of this person
Helena-Bonham-Carter-Enola-Holmes-Sequel.jpg

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
To many women to care. No one cares that a woman doesn't want a family while women outnumber men.

Especially with them overly arched eyebrows
Animal print
And stinky face

Last edited:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
This the perfect thread for coli members.
Black woman? Check
Single? Check
Got money? Check
No kids? Check

nikkas finna go crazy in this thread calling her a liar and all kinds of shyt but more people especially women should think about not having kids.

The last thing we need is more people having kids just because they felt obligated to do it :unimpressed:
'Because everyone else was doing it'

Is probably the woat reason to have kids.

Raising children is the hardest thing you will do in your life, and it means you will have to sacrifice many things. You have to go into that decision with no regrets. You just know people be staring at their children, thinking about all the things they could've been doing but can't because they can't afford it anymore and/or don't have someone to entrust their kids to while they're away.

Your kids become your whole life. I'm not having kids until I've fukked all the types of hoes I wanna fukk, partied as much as I wanna party, seen all the live entertainment I want to see, traveled where I want to go, eaten at the kind of bougie restaurants I want to eat at, and flexed harder than 1970s Schwarzenegger on everyone in my orbit.

Then I'll feel like aint nothing left and I can make my peace with living for my kids.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
Is she straight?

"My relationships with 'people'"...(not men, guys, brehs, dudes, etc.)

I've gotten a bit stagnant in my relationships with people, the way that I've organized my life. We need to keep meeting new people, challenging relationships, moving out of relationships that don't serve us anymore,” she said.