Atlanta: The Final Season | Official Thread | FX & Hulu

Daps
When he said...you back to speaking to Aunt Jeanie....I felt like I was watching my own family on screen. My aunts and my mom stay beefing over the most trivial nonsense :mjlol:

Also, when she was talking about how people always hated her for being lightskinned. Not for the lightskin comment persay but, because we've all had those arguments before with family members that act like the entire family hates them because of [insert reason].

Lastly, I was bagging up at the people miming at church. I don't think I've ever seen that depicted in a black tv show before. Like ever. That was so authentic...you wouldn't think to include that in an episode unless you grew up in it.

This show is special :wow:

I'm trying to understand what the Glover brother's are basing the show on. From what I always understood about Gambino, I always thought he was one of those alternative black folks that grew up somewhat whitewashed. But he is tapping into real experiences with this show. Even Brian tyree Henry. This nikka is gay as hell and obviously didn't live this life but his portrayal of Paper Boi is amazing.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm trying to understand what the Glover brother's are basing the show on. From what I always understood about Gambino, I always thought he was one of those alternative black folks that grew up somewhat whitewashed. But he is tapping into real experiences with this show. Even Brian tyree Henry. This nikka is gay as hell and obviously didn't live this life but his portrayal of Paper Boi is amazing.
He grew up Jehovah’s Witness.

But he grew up in a rough area. In an interview leading up to Season 2, he talked about the crew going to his old neighborhood to film Alligator Man and everyone had the :picard:

Last edited:

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
When he said...you back to speaking to Aunt Jeanie....I felt like I was watching my own family on screen. My aunts and my mom stay beefing over the most trivial nonsense :mjlol:

Also, when she was talking about how people always hated her for being lightskinned. Not for the lightskin comment persay but, because we've all had those arguments before with family members that act like the entire family hates them because of [insert reason].

Lastly, I was bagging up at the people miming at church. I don't think I've ever seen that depicted in a black tv show before. Like ever. That was so authentic...you wouldn't think to include that in an episode unless you grew up in it.

This show is special :wow:
My mother is the light skinned sibling. My aunt was the only one who took care of my grandfather in the years leading up to his death. My mother only visited him once or twice maybe in the decade my aunt moved him to Atlanta so she could put him in an assisted living facility near her home. Every week my aunt went there to take him his favorite snacks, decorate his room, family dinner events he would always ask for my mom but she would never call or show up. It ate her alive that she was doing all that and all he could think about was my mother. But the real kicker is that he wasn’t even my biological grandfather. My grandmother allegedly got pregnant during a “break”, but my grandfather thought my mom was his.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Donald Glover grew up in Stone Mountain, Ga. Which is 74% Black populace. He went to an alternative school for High School but he was surrounded by black people in his community every single day.

Also the writer’s room is all black and made up mostly of people who lived and/or grew up in Atlanta

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I thought he was a “new black” too at one point but, I misjudged him. To write a lot of the stuff he does in this show you had to grow up in our environment.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I thought he was a “new black” too at one point but, I misjudged him. To write a lot of the stuff he does in this show you had to grow up in our environment.

Its hilarious how people think that black folks from Ga, who didn’t grow up in the heart of Atlanta (which is a VERY small area) didn’t grow up in a majority black environment or don’t know the “struggle”.

I even had to check a PROFESSIONAL reviewer about this shyt. My first scripted digital series was set in Stone Mountain and he actually wrote in his review why all the episodes only featured black people and no whites. He couldn’t comprehend that there are actually cities where black people are the majority. He even complained that all the extras were black lmao

Daps
Its hilarious how people think that black folks from Ga, who didn’t grow up in the heart of Atlanta (which is a VERY small area) didn’t grow up in a majority black environment or don’t know the “struggle”.

I even had to check a PROFESSIONAL reviewer about this shyt. My first scripted digital series was set in Stone Mountain and he actually wrote in his review why all the episodes only featured black people and no whites. He couldn’t comprehend that there are actually cities where black people are the majority. He even complained that all the extras were black lmao

This isn't where I was coming from. I'm simply speaking as someone who's been loosely following him since his career started (I was a fan, but not a superfan). He always came off to me as a brotha who didn't grow up around us, or if he had, was somewhat whitewashed. I obviously misjudged him :yeshrug:

ML29

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
this has to be about Tyler Perry somehow lol

Last edited:

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
episode came back full circle with season 2 episode one…involving earn and alfreds family….with katt supposedly kidnapping yvonne

this ep it’s back on the family and earns mom supposedly kidnapping her pops, auntie jeannie kidnapping the fams Sunday with her hysterics, the kids at the mall kidnapping the dads peace, as well the family drama kidnapping his peace for thirty years.

gawd tier writing…

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This isn't where I was coming from. I'm simply speaking as someone who's been loosely following him since his career started (I was a fan, but not a superfan). He always came off to me as a brotha who didn't grow up around us, or if he had, was somewhat whitewashed. I obviously misjudged him :yeshrug:
There is nothing about Donald Glover white-washed, IMO, unless you have a different definition for it. (OJ Simpson is whitewashed to me)

I think what you are trying to say is he has often differentiated himself from poor black people or the "hood," which is a fair point. He has, and a lot of his old stand-up was on that tip. He also didn't have a hard path to success as many poor black people would have.

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Feel so bad for Earn's pops, was feeling himself with his new hat he bought from that IG model looking PAWG only to have that little fakkit clown him :mjcry:

Episode wasn't that funny but it was still an good episode, if that makes any sense. The 800 dollar hang up, Katt Williams cameo and Earn trying to sneak out the Church only for the aunt to catch him slippin was the best comedy parts :pachaha: