Astrobot (September 6th, 2024) (PS5) (94 Metacritic)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Looking forward to it:wow:This really makes me crave a new Ape Escape, bring back the gawd Gabe Logan and Syphon Filter, Spyro, a long lost and forgotten Omega Boost, Soul Reaver:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:

Pump money into Team Asobi’s games if we want to see a return to any Japan Studio IP pretty much:yeshrug:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Looking forward to it:wow:This really makes me crave a new Ape Escape, bring back the gawd Gabe Logan and Syphon Filter, Spyro, a long lost and forgotten Omega Boost, Soul Reaver:damn::damn::damn::damn::damn:
i been wanting a new ape escape for years. i get that astro bot is their new series to show off the function of their devices,(the vr version was pretty dope too for the amount i could play it) but there should still be a place for ape escape to coexist. as for omega boost, i wonder if polyphony still has it in them to make one, maybe as a side to the gran turismo stuff

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Now, Team Asobi has been given the freedom to make a bigger, longer game (12 hours or so) that's not wedded to a piece of PlayStation hardware as an extended tech demo – though it's still a manifest tribute to all things Sony. It incorporates lots of ideas that didn't make it into 2020's game. Astro Bot now flies around between levels on a controller-shaped spaceship whose very exhaust fumes are made up of PlayStation button symbols. Running around a few levels as the adorable robot, I whizzed down a waterslide with a bunch of beach-balls, dived off a high board into a swimming pool, defeated a giant angry octopus by slingshotting myself into its face with a pair of extendable frog-faced boxing gloves, used magnets to gather up metal shards into a ball large enough to smash things with, and inflated Astro like a balloon before propelling him around with expelled gas.
It is extremely cute and funny, and packed with playful detail – I discovered that I could slice up wooden logs with the blast of flame from Astro's jetpack, for no reason other than that it's fun, and when I jumped on to a turtle to see if I could ride on its back, Astro adopted a confident surfing pose. When I found a secret room after tickling some sad-looking anemones, I was greeted with a chorus of "seee-cret!". These details are inconsequential, but as Doucet points out, "they do matter, because all these little things are memories".
The levels are like a solar system that expands slowly outwards, as the challenge builds: towards the middle are the safest places, where a five-year-old could have fun kicking a football about, jumping through water and punching the occasional baddie, and out towards the edges are the most testing levels. There more than 150 little tributes to PlayStation games from PaRappa the Rapper to Journey, in the form of cosplaying robots that you can rescue. Challenge levels put my not-inconsiderable 90s-kid 3D platforming skills to the test with platforms suspended in time and precise jumps over miniature ice rinks suspended in space. It's the most uncomplicated fun I've had playing a game in ages.
Team Asobi is relatively small – about 65 people – and relatively international. Three-quarters of the team is Japanese, says Doucet, and the rest represent 16 different nationalities. Some worked on previous PlayStation projects such as Shadow of the Colossus or Gravity Rush, but others came in fresh. They are all invested in earning Astro Bot true PlayStation mascot status, says Doucet. "We want Astro to grow into a really powerful franchise – we want to elevate this little guy," he tells me. "We have a lot to live up to at PlayStation, but we also never forget to be underdogs – that's part of the successful mindset, you always want to be chasing something. When you get complacent is when games start losing their soul."