Assassins Creed: Shadows (Japan) 2024+

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Does the story surround Yasuke for them to be using him in a Japan setting or are they using Yasuke because he's a real historical character and they want to use him as an excuse to not have a Japanese male lead? :patrice: I see no other reason to have him there outside of those two reasons. :hubie:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
Does the story surround Yasuke for them to be using him in a Japan setting or are they using Yasuke because he's a real historical character and they want to use him as an excuse to not have a Japanese male lead? :patrice: I see no other reason to have him there outside of those two reasons. :hubie:

It appears the story takes place around the end of the Sengoku period in Japan with Warlords fixated on its unification. The main 3 warlords at this time were Oda Nabunaga, Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu and all had historic roles in Japans unification. Yasuke arrived in Japan and became a retainer of Oda Nabunaga at this time. During his short stay, Oda is documented as attacking the Iga clan (Ninjas) to wipe them out.

Its looks like in this story the Iga clan is a stand in for the Assassin Order and the Female assassin (Naoe?) crosses paths with Yasuke at the time of Oda’s attack. It seems like Ubisoft didnt want a typical assassin’s creed game symbolized by going on repetitive assassin missions, and wanted samurai combat to make it more unique. Ghost of Tsushima had this in their character Jen Sakai who was both a samurai and ninja so they compromised by having two characters instead. Yasuke seems to be the creative choice they used to fit the dynamic.

But yes, Yasuke is historically around at this time and isnt a random race swap for an asian character or story.

Excuse my spelling btw.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
Does the story surround Yasuke for them to be using him in a Japan setting or are they using Yasuke because he's a real historical character and they want to use him as an excuse to not have a Japanese male lead? :patrice:

Why do black leads have to validate & justify their existence in mainstream media? :patrice:

Last edited:

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South
BBBBut he’s not a real Samurai and the Japanese will be mad.

Yet he’s in a game, made by Japanese Devs called “Samurai Warriors”. Eat a dikk, cacs.

The logic and discourse they are using just doesnt make any sense. Yasuke appeared in Japanese pop culture way before he even got popular in the west and I haven't seen a japanese historian discredit him at all.

All the anger only comes from this side of the globe with many trying to tie him into a symbol of “woke” culture. The sum of his activities, privileges, and admiration obviously shows he wasnt an “average servant” or “showpiece”.