Army Drops Requirement for High School Diploma Amid Recruiting Crisis

HabitualChiller

Enjoying a Long Night of Solace✌
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
They’re literally at war now, sneakily. They been in a Cold War with China, Russia & it picked up at the start of covid, and even more at the start of the Ukrainian war. It is likely to become direct within the next 5 years or sooner. They’re desperate to recruit people for a reason, and the hell of it ain’t it. Not sure what the land soldiers been doing (pretty sure it’s secret) but the air force and navy been kinda busy.
You got an angry face dap, but big navy is expecting a hot war in the pacific within the next 3 years or so.

That's why west coast navy is outfitting amphibs with the light carrier configuration so often. They want as many F-35s in the fight as possible, which tells me that amphibious landings aren't our primary goal.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
your afsc pick is going to depend on what you think your end state is going to be... are you doing 4-8 years and bouncing? 20?
My main focus is saving enough money to buy a small home, I have a list of careers that interest me after a 4 year but none of them require military certs and some not even a degree. Anything more than the opportunity to save money and potentially go to school is a bonus to me honestly. My only career minded afsc choice is contracting, other than that I'm comfortable with owning a home, being financially stable and working on my personal aspirations, I'm not worried about securing some 150k a year job after the military.
Well then I expect to see an Airman's coin or something in the next year. :birdman:
I'll be sure to @ you.

Giselle

Daps
You got an angry face dap, but big navy is expecting a hot war in the pacific within the next 3 years or so.

That's why west coast navy is outfitting amphibs with the light carrier configuration so often. They want as many F-35s in the fight as possible, which tells me that amphibious landings aren't our primary goal.
Why? I was told they’ve been busy but they didn’t tell me the details.

Giselle

Daps
What worries me is the military is dropping this requirement, law enforcement agencies will follow and start to reduce their requirements and incentives for education. Now you’ll end up with police officers who have little formal schooling policing people they’ve never learned about or been exposed to during those crucial years before entering adulthood.
The army is doing that bc they’re desperate bc they’ll be fully active soon. This won’t be true for police unless they become desperate which they won’t unless war breaks out on U.S. soil.

Being in the army & being a police officer are two different/unrelated things

HabitualChiller

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
Why? I was told they’ve been busy but they didn’t tell me the details.
Supposedly, China actually IS going to make a run at Taiwan in the near future. According to my CO, Russia's blunder in Ukraine just pushed back that date.

Why what? Why they're rolling out F-35s heavily? Because there's no counter for stealth aircraft besides other stealth aircraft. China's stealth fighter hasn't been rolled out yet in large enough numbers (or maybe at all) in order to combat it.

Even going back to the Gulf War, stealth aircraft are largely the reason why the coalition didn't suffer heavy losses against Iraq.

The navy as a whole is busy in regards to training and OPTEMPO, but that's been the norm since 9/11.

Giselle

Daps
I’ll just leave this here. Don’t quote me to argue, just go watch the full video on YouTube and read the recent news article. I’m shocked I had no idea about this.

But that army recruitment desperation and draft talk is for a reason. Join now if you want to but I strongly advise against it. China and Russia and them are serious this time! They plotted and really set it off with covid.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I woudlnt buy into the China hype just yet. Russia is a rather unserious nation that doesnt do diplomacy very well. China on the other hand has spent the last 60 years reinventing themselves as a Superpower that doesnt have to project military power (which in some ways has cost them as well) to cause change. Invading Taiwain would effectively flush all that good will and prestige down the toilet.

Not to mention, it would be a bloody conlict (even before the USA potentially gets involved) and theres a high probability that Taiwan would destroy as much of their own infrastructure as they can if China invaded just to keep them from using their microchip industry and IP.

And lets say even *if* the USA doesnt get involved, the Pacific is now a Hot zone with potential for war at any time. South Korea and Japan would not tolerate that level of aggression and would be looking for a reason to fight. The US would also start amping up aggression as well.

I personally think invading Taiwan isnt worth it for them and is just the old guard of the CCP capping. :yeshrug:

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV

So much for a peacetime Navy.

Daps
Reppin
Occulonimbus edoequus
I was cracking jokes about you not making it and we did the same thing for Dave when he made his list...he still ain't make it to MEPS years later. :dead:

Hopefully you're serious and not bullshytting.

Just a couple tips/observations from an old vet. :youngsabo:

• Medical Lab (4Tangos) and BMET (4A2X1) are pretty shytty jobs...literally, if you're lab (stool samples, blood, STI swaps, other fluids, abscesses/tissue samples), and have no perks over other medical AFSCs. BMET used to be boss because you could cake up on the outside with the certs you had. They outsource a lot of the specialized equipment repairs nowadays, so it's not really all that. You don't work nights or weekends unless you're at a hospital and not a clinic.
  • Contracting is a sweet job because you can get the certs and experience and dip and come back as a civilian and make $100k after 1 enlistment. The folks at the schoolhouse know that, and anyone smart enough to get the job (ASVAB requires a G72) will know this too. There will be a lot of work, a lot of opportunities to go TDY and deploy (even as an Airman). Usually has an SRB (re-enlistment bonus) outside of COVID fukkery/manning issues.
  • 1N1 (Geospatial Intel) is a mixed bag. Intel tech school can be rough, and some folks go crazy staring at screens all day in a dark room. Intel squadrons stay working. You prolly won't be on your phone (or even have it at work) or chilling like some other jobs do during the duty day. Expect to work days and nights.
  • Good luck getting Loadmaster. It doesn't translate to shyt on the outside that pays well but you will make bank off the per diem + flight pay while you're in; there are E-3's clearing 100 grand off base pay + per diem + CSIP if you get certain airframes. If you get air or motion sickness, are afraid of flying, heights/falling, or water, or can't do math this ain't the job for you. Expect to travel like ole buddy from Up in the Air and not see kids/friends/family a whole lot.
  • Weather is some hoes, always fukking up the MEF. Pacspit. That is all.
  • EM (3E9) are seen as nerds by the rest of CE. You'll be planning exercises and conducting CBRN training. Not the worst job but not as cool as it sounds (I saw what they were doing when I was in the sandbox with them; I'm cool). If you suck at public speaking, you'll hate life.
  • Fusion Analysts (both shreds) are less-attractive cousins of 1N1's. Can make bank on the outside though. Tech school will prolly be rough.
  • 4B0X (Bio) is a sweet job if you're a nerd. I woulda punched mom dukes in the ovary for a Bio slot. You get some of the med group perks but you're the redheaded stepchild of the med group and may not even be in the same location as them. Folks will forget you're even in the squadron. If you don't like science, don't list.
  • NDI (Non-destructive Inspection) is the only maintenance job I woulda done and not wanted to commit dat. The broads in NDI are pretty nooice.
  • I don't know much about PMEL except I wouldn't list that.

The weight loss thing to join is different than the standards you have to meet once you're in.

If you can't run for 7-8 minutes without dying, fix that. If you can't do push-ups or sit-ups, fix that.

So many dudes had their dream job and got bounced out like Spain in the World Cup because they couldn't pass their PT test. PT tests aren't pop quizzes, so if you can't pass one it's cause you fukked up.
:ufdup:

CAA huh...

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
If there was a draft it would have already been in talks a year ago and that would take a war to have already started

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
CAA huh...

Lenny GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps

You don't fight near-pear adversaries with conventional ground forces these days. :francis:

HabitualChiller

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere on an Xbox
You don't fight near-pear adversaries with conventional ground forces these days. :francis:
True. Even with the US's technological superiority, China has the home-field advantage. They'd rain down missiles and other munitions on any and every enemy in Taiwan.

According to my CO and another higher-ranking kat that visited the ship, they like our odds in MOST [see: 95%] scenarios.

Me being a sailor and logistician, I don't trust the Navy's inventory as a whole. I've seen first-hand how kats on my ship and other ships can and have cooked the numbers, and that shyt is concerning.

Outside of that, if we can counter China's hypersonic missiles, we're good imo. Specifically, the Navy and Air Force will be fine. The Army and Marines shouldn't get involved THAT much.

Edit: I don't think anything will happen with Taiwan just because the loss of a single carrier would result in the loss of potential thousands of lives, and another billions of dollars. Now THAT would force us to go all in, and there's no nation on earth that can handle that.