Army Drops Requirement for High School Diploma Amid Recruiting Crisis

TheAnointedOne

Superstar
Daps
I've read some horror stories online, my recruiter told me I had to lose some weight in early november, he texted me a couple days ago saying I don't have to lose it all (I'm 6'3 and had to lose 15lbs) before we start the paperwork. I'm hoping that's a good sign, thankfully he's Black and has been very supportive, I knew it was going to be a long process so I'm not worried, it's only been a month.

What are you hoping to do in the air force?

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Black Americans (the descendants of the enslaved if you’re confused) should never join the white man’s army.

Free college doesn’t matter if you’re dead
That statement is both bias and reckless. Fun fact, since the invading Iraq in the early 2000s over 7,000 soldiers we killed. There are given years where that number is surpassed on black-on-black gun deaths alone. People have fair assessments on not joining the military which is fine. However, all that white man's military crap needs to go given the circumstances.

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
What are you hoping to do in the air force?

Here's my job list (excuse my spelling)

NV4JaYZ.jpg

I really want contracting, precision measurement and loadmaster are a long shot, I'll probably have to settle in that case I'd love bioenvironmental engineering or biomedical equipment. Weather and emergency management are there to take up space, I go back and forth on these all the time, but then my list would be too short.
I've heard that people may need up to 15 jobs on their list. :sadcam:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps

NV4JaYZ.jpg

I really want contracting, precision measurement and loadmaster are a long shot, I'll probably have to settle in that case I'd love bioenvironmental engineering or biomedical equipment. Weather and emergency management are there to take up space, I go back and forth on these all the time, but then my list would be too short.

I was cracking jokes about you not making it and we did the same thing for Dave when he made his list...he still ain't make it to MEPS years later. :dead:

Hopefully you're serious and not bullshytting.

Just a couple tips/observations from an old vet. :youngsabo:

• Medical Lab (4Tangos) and BMET (4A2X1) are pretty shytty jobs...literally, if you're lab (stool samples, blood, STI swaps, other fluids, abscesses/tissue samples), and have no perks over other medical AFSCs. BMET used to be boss because you could cake up on the outside with the certs you had. They outsource a lot of the specialized equipment repairs nowadays, so it's not really all that. You don't work nights or weekends unless you're at a hospital and not a clinic.
  • Contracting is a sweet job because you can get the certs and experience and dip and come back as a civilian and make $100k after 1 enlistment. The folks at the schoolhouse know that, and anyone smart enough to get the job (ASVAB requires a G72) will know this too. There will be a lot of work, a lot of opportunities to go TDY and deploy (even as an Airman). Usually has an SRB (re-enlistment bonus) outside of COVID fukkery/manning issues.
  • 1N1 (Geospatial Intel) is a mixed bag. Intel tech school can be rough, and some folks go crazy staring at screens all day in a dark room. Intel squadrons stay working. You prolly won't be on your phone (or even have it at work) or chilling like some other jobs do during the duty day. Expect to work days and nights.
  • Good luck getting Loadmaster. It doesn't translate to shyt on the outside that pays well but you will make bank off the per diem + flight pay while you're in; there are E-3's clearing 100 grand off base pay + per diem + CSIP if you get certain airframes. If you get air or motion sickness, are afraid of flying, heights/falling, or water, or can't do math this ain't the job for you. Expect to travel like ole buddy from Up in the Air and not see kids/friends/family a whole lot.
  • Weather is some hoes, always fukking up the MEF. Pacspit. That is all.
  • EM (3E9) are seen as nerds by the rest of CE. You'll be planning exercises and conducting CBRN training. Not the worst job but not as cool as it sounds (I saw what they were doing when I was in the sandbox with them; I'm cool). If you suck at public speaking, you'll hate life.
  • Fusion Analysts (both shreds) are less-attractive cousins of 1N1's. Can make bank on the outside though. Tech school will prolly be rough.
  • 4B0X (Bio) is a sweet job if you're a nerd. I woulda punched mom dukes in the ovary for a Bio slot. You get some of the med group perks but you're the redheaded stepchild of the med group and may not even be in the same location as them. Folks will forget you're even in the squadron. If you don't like science, don't list.
  • NDI (Non-destructive Inspection) is the only maintenance job I woulda done and not wanted to commit dat. The broads in NDI are pretty nooice.
  • I don't know much about PMEL except I wouldn't list that.

The weight loss thing to join is different than the standards you have to meet once you're in.

If you can't run for 7-8 minutes without dying, fix that. If you can't do push-ups or sit-ups, fix that.

So many dudes had their dream job and got bounced out like Spain in the World Cup because they couldn't pass their PT test. PT tests aren't pop quizzes, so if you can't pass one it's cause you fukked up.
:ufdup:

Son Goku

Daps
@BobbyWojak I don't know if your recruiter explained this:

Realize that the jobs your recruiter has you list are the last ones to get filled, with the exception of the ones that have special requirements. Off your list, only Load meets that (you have to have a passing flight physical).

My recruiter and his potna had a guaranteed medical job they had to fill and offered it to me because I had the classes to book it. I turned it down because the tech school was "too long". It's a sweet job and pays money on the outside. I fukked up.
:snoop:

All the cool/sweet jobs like Contracting and Intel usually get eaten by kids in BMT picking jobs off the Open categories first; then the ones they can't fill get sent to recruiting flight chiefs to split up between the different recruiters. Don't go Open General/Mechanical/Electrical/Admin if the jobs you want aren't in that category. If you do take an Open contract, just know you might be disappointed when you pick.

Also, if you're ASVAB is too low to get the job, you aren't qualified and you won't get it. My list of jobs was like 7 pages long. Dudes that f'd up their ASVAB had sheets that were half a page, or less.

The jobs available come in cycles and are based on projected class dates. If you have a job you want (from BMT or going in guaranteed), you can still lose the job if you get recycled in BMT or the class gets cancelled. Some jobs you want won't have class dates that match up and you won't ever see them offered to you.

Most recruiters will drop you if you try and wait around after they offer you a contract or two and you turn them down trying to wait for a certain job.

Good luck. :francis:

BobbyWojak

Superstar
Daps
I was cracking jokes about you not making it and we did the same thing for Dave when he made his list...he still ain't make it to MEPS years later.
Yeah, I'm aware lmao, I've read the military threads, but didn't want to respond to the negativity since I already sacrificed a lot to get to this point. Sold all my things, packed my life up into 2 huge cardboard boxes; last couple months has been lifting, runs, asvab studying and coli posting in a mostly empty room. I was surprised how out of shape and borderline stupid I was, pretty much relearning high school algebra at 25. Thanks for the rundown on my job list, it's my 2nd draft, so I'll take a closer look at each one and see what I should cut.

All the cool/sweet jobs like Contracting and Intel usually get eaten by kids in BMT picking jobs off the Open categories first; then the ones they can't fill get sent to recruiting flight chiefs to split up between the different recruiters. Don't go Open General/Mechanical/Electrical/Admin if the jobs you want aren't in that category. If you do take an Open contract, just know you might be disappointed when you pick.

How does 'quick ship' or 'fast ship' work in the air force? Is that pretty much an open contract?

Giselle

Daps

NV4JaYZ.jpg

wow! I have never seen a male have such neat handwriting. Looks like a woman wrote it

Daps
What worries me is the military is dropping this requirement, law enforcement agencies will follow and start to reduce their requirements and incentives for education. Now you’ll end up with police officers who have little formal schooling policing people they’ve never learned about or been exposed to during those crucial years before entering adulthood.

Daps
@BobbyWojak your afsc pick is going to depend on what you think your end state is going to be... are you doing 4-8 years and bouncing? 20? something else/not sure? as mentioned contracting is generally a good pick, you'll likely have a warrant in a few years (ie lets you sign contracts valued at $xx) and it translates well to the outside.

I will say bio env, at least at base level, is kind of dead-end and from my interactions with those folks it seems like the job isn't very rewarding and it's repetitive... but that's just my impression. biomedical equipment is probably a better pick, you'll be at a med group so you'll have a more clearly defined org and workplace culture.

Son Goku

Daps
Yeah, I'm aware lmao, I've read the military threads, but didn't want to respond to the negativity since I already sacrificed a lot to get to this point. Sold all my things, packed my life up into 2 huge cardboard boxes; last couple months has been lifting, runs, asvab studying and coli posting in a mostly empty room. I was surprised how out of shape and borderline stupid I was, pretty much relearning high school algebra at 25. Thanks for the rundown on my job list, it's my 2nd draft, so I'll take a closer look at each one and see what I should cut.

Well then I expect to see an Airman's coin or something in the next year. :birdman:

How does 'quick ship' or 'fast ship' work in the air force? Is that pretty much an open contract?

No, it's any contract with a projected tech school class date that needs to be sent up ASAP. They literally finna ship your ass off to boot quick-like.

It was dudes in my recruiting office that were leaving within a month of a job dropping.

Son Goku

Daps
What worries me is the military is dropping this requirement, law enforcement agencies will follow and start to reduce their requirements and incentives for education. Now you’ll end up with police officers who have little formal schooling policing people they’ve never learned about or been exposed to during those crucial years before entering adulthood.

The requirements to be a cop were never that high to begin with; you don't even need more than an associate's or HS diploma in a lot of places. :unimpressed:

Son Goku

Daps
@BobbyWojak your afsc pick is going to depend on what you think your end state is going to be... are you doing 4-8 years and bouncing? 20? something else/not sure? as mentioned contracting is generally a good pick, you'll likely have a warrant in a few years (ie lets you sign contracts valued at $xx) and it translates well to the outside.

I will say bio env, at least at base level, is kind of dead-end and from my interactions with those folks it seems like the job isn't very rewarding and it's repetitive... but that's just my impression. biomedical equipment is probably a better pick, you'll be at a med group so you'll have a more clearly defined org and workplace culture.

Disagreed.

If ole buddy wants to get up outta there, just pick a job (that's not maintenance) that you can survive for 3 or 5 years and take what the recruiter gives you.

You can always retrain, switch branches, developmental special duty, go out and commission, etc. That whole end-game shyt sounds great for Avengers movies, but dude could end up at a shytty base with trash leadership and not end up shining, hating life, or even making it through with that "dream job" anyways. I knew a dude that got contracting at a missile base off a retrain and didn't even stay in two years.

I knew a lot of cats that had the job they thought they wanted and been got out with nothing but a GI bill, whereas folks with the less-desirable jobs had more free time, completed whole-ass degrees on the clock, got to go home every night, little/no work stress, etc.

And while BEE is definitely repetitive, most jobs in the med grp are, but it's probably still better than BMET, which is also repetitive and will see a lot of the more complicated work orders outsourced. BE definitely has a clearly defined org and workplace culture whereas them BMET folks were in a warehouse somewhere and nobody knew who the fukk they were. Bio is definitely better for networking and scouting out other hoes, job details, etc, The certs are probably a wash.
:yeshrug: