ARIKA - Fighting Layer EX [PS4] 2018 release

Kairi Irving

Here Comes A New Challenger
Daps
Arika shouldve released it worldwide the minute it was the 28th smh

Micron

Pro
Daps
Ok, so I've got the game now. Netcode is definitely good. Easy to find matches in ranked, hard to find them for casual, oddly enough. Lack of Arcade mode, and not going back to training after ranked are my biggest gripes. I expect more content to be added later.

Super Canceling is a lot more difficult in this game than it was in the old games. Links that were very easy to do in SFEX+@ are hard in FEXL. Wake-up supers and super combo inputs are a lot stricter. Super combo inputs don't feel smooth anymore. The forward dashing, back dashing and chain combos make the game feel less clunky.

Blair, Darun, Allen, Hokuto, Shirase, Hayate, and Jack benefit a lot from the new system. Darun, Hayate, and Jack are the most improved characters. Darun has never been this good in any other ex game.

Shadow Geist's links from death government have been made a lot harder, but stomp and dive kick are easier to combo from. I preferred his old intro, but overall he seems buffed.

Kairi lost Kyoja Renbu super, air flip from jumping mk, teleport, and all his old max meter properties. EX hurricane kick was replaced with shoto style hurricane kick. He is back to having a classic fireball. Classic fireball is a buff, Shoto hurricane kick is a buff, and chain combos are above average.

Doctrine Dark's old version of ex-prominence was better into terms of priority. Not really a major game changer though. He seems fairly popular.

Garuda is the only character who got nerfed hard. No more Raiga or even Ranzan for anti-air, hurts his game a lot because his DP was never meant as an AA. Soukandan is much harder to follow-up on hit. No Raiga after it being present in every other EX game is not cool. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he is a counter pick against Super Armor.

It seems the Gougi is designed for the game to feel like other fighting games. Stealth Raptor, SkyDancer, Thunderbolt, give the impressions of mechanics the developers weren't sure about adding. Juggernaut and Doubleface(Super Armor Decks) can be annoying to play against, but they seemed designed for beginners, because they can be played around. Shinobi and Nightmare are pretty fun, and certain characters can really take advantage of them(Skullo).

The game is fast paced and matches are fun. Progressive Mode is a good idea but having to be in neutral makes classic mode seem faster.

Kairi Irving

Daps
Ok, so I've got the game now. Netcode is definitely good. Easy to find matches in ranked, hard to find them for casual, oddly enough. Lack of Arcade mode, and not going back to training after ranked are my biggest gripes. I expect more content to be added later.

Super Canceling is a lot more difficult in this game than it was in the old games. Links that were very easy to do in SFEX+@ are hard in FEXL. Wake-up supers and super combo inputs are a lot stricter. Super combo inputs don't feel smooth anymore. The forward dashing, back dashing and chain combos make the game feel less clunky.

Blair, Darun, Allen, Hokuto, Shirase, Hayate, and Jack benefit a lot from the new system. Darun, Hayate, and Jack are the most improved characters. Darun has never been this good in any other ex game.

Shadow Geist's links from death government have been made a lot harder, but stomp and dive kick are easier to combo from. I preferred his old intro, but overall he seems buffed.

Kairi lost Kyoja Renbu super, air flip from jumping mk, teleport, and all his old max meter properties. EX hurricane kick was replaced with shoto style hurricane kick. He is back to having a classic fireball. Classic fireball is a buff, Shoto hurricane kick is a buff, and chain combos are above average.

Doctrine Dark's old version of ex-prominence was better into terms of priority. Not really a major game changer though. He seems fairly popular.

Garuda is the only character who got nerfed hard. No more Raiga or even Ranzan for anti-air, hurts his game a lot because his DP was never meant as an AA. Soukandan is much harder to follow-up on hit. No Raiga after it being present in every other EX game is not cool. The biggest thing he has going for him is that he is a counter pick against Super Armor.

It seems the Gougi is designed for the game to feel like other fighting games. Stealth Raptor, SkyDancer, Thunderbolt, give the impressions of mechanics the developers weren't sure about adding. Juggernaut and Doubleface(Super Armor Decks) can be annoying to play against, but they seemed designed for beginners, because they can be played around. Shinobi and Nightmare are pretty fun, and certain characters can really take advantage of them(Skullo).

The game is fast paced and matches are fun. Progressive Mode is a good idea but having to be in neutral makes classic mode seem faster.
Long story short, Gougi ruins the game. We will only see more DLC if the game sells well, linking normals is easy and i play on classic.

Sinister

Banned
Daps
The Golgi seems like a game breaking gimmick that breaks the game that breaks the game.

The graphics and animation looks like a gigantic leap from SFEX3

How does it feel? I always thought the ex games didn't feel smooth enough.

Kairi Irving

Daps
The Golgi seems like a game breaking gimmick that breaks the game that breaks the game.

THE beta version was smoother, felt felt smoother

Micron

Pro
Daps

The run mechanic, chain mechanic, and new animations make the game feel smoother than previous EX games, but the hit confirms are still the same as old EX games and the super canceling window is stricter. The running and chain combos definitely give it a different feel compared to previous EX games.

The Gougi system is odd. It has been compared to the Gem system in SFxT and the Groove System in CvsSNK2. While the groove system is praised for adding depth to CvS, the Gem system was apparently designed to counter act what would have been a very obvious tier gap, and it prevented SFxT from seeing serious competitive play.

Like grooves, characters can optimize particular Gougi better than others. However unlike grooves, certain characters are counter-picks against particular Gougi. My current impression is that outside of Nightmare vs Juggernaut, Gougi don't seem to be strict counter-picks towards other Gougi, not as much as characters are. Some Gougi become outrageous in specific situations, I haven't encountered anything too crazy that doesn't require 3 bars. While I can appreciate the strategy that goes into Gougi choice, I understand why a lot of hardcore folks don't like it. However I expect opinions to shift once people get more used to the Gougi, since they are pretty fun. That said, Babel should have been included in the $40 version of the game.