Are we seeing too many open world games?

Black Bolt

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Sekiro , Horizon and others that do a contained opened world hit the right spot. You end up up with a lot of bloat otherwise (bs sidequests, bs collectibles etc)

Hejdå

Inactive
Daps
Open world games arent my problem its the themes theyre built around. Why does every game insist on being a medieval fantasy or monster fighter game or some shyt back in the 60's-80's. I don't like those themes with a passion especially since I cant at least customize my character to look like me.

Thats why Im so excited for cyberpunk because its an open world city in the future where I can look like me :wow:

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
I think we are seeing too many open world games that don’t shift the paradigm enough.

remember back in the 2d days when every company had a fukking mario like platformer or side scrolling beat em up

or in the 3D era when every one wanted a mascot 3D platformer.

We need more games that switch up the formula enough to be considered unique. Every open world game doesn’t need
-RPG elements (charms, weapon slots, perks etc)
- tower system that unlocks a million icons
- a million collectibles
- redundant side quests
- follow the foot print quests
Etc.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Open World is not necessarily the issue, it's the formula that companies are using:
  • Towers to expose additional areas/quests/treasures
  • Bases/Camps that need to be liberated.
  • Missions being padded out with long walks, hikes, drives, swims, flights, etc between locations.
  • Repetitive Mission Types:
    • Chase Missions
    • Stealth Missions
    • Retrieve the MacGuffin Missions
  • Trinkets spread across the map for collection
  • Story being told during long slow paced walks.
  • Quantity of activity over quantity.
You add in a shytty gameplay loop with this formula and you get a terrible game.
*Ubisoft has left the chat*

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
on topic whats the worst open world game you played

L.A Noire's missions were good but it was terrible every time you weren't in a mission.

Rage 2 was bad after you've seen and used all your abilities, it had nothing else to offer besides above average gunplay.

Mafia 3's gameplay loop was complete garbage water. The missions were fun tho.

Watch Dogs 1 speaks for itself.

Every PSP game I've played with an open world was terrible including the GTA games IMO.

I didn't care much for Scarface on PS2.

AC1 was good for it's time but playing it now will make you want to kill yourself.

That's all that comes to mind. Out of that list I think AC1 and Rage 2 were probably the worst I've played.

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
A game like socom with some co op would be perfect as an open world. Honestly MGS V had the seeds in place don’t know how they didn’t have any co op. Gave me a lot of Combined Assault vibes

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Is open world the new name for sandbox or are they still completely different concepts?